GDT: Draft day- 2013 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
The current lineup wasn't getting fixed with this draft. There was nothing outside Seguin they could give up to get in the first round, and outside the top 4 picks I wouldn't be happy with that anyway. There's an entire summer to figure it out.

I have no idea about any of the players they drafted, so I'm not gonna pretend to give it a grade. Bs scouts know more about hockey than I do.

Exactly! The purpose of the draft is to build for the future (unless your getting a top pick that makes your team) So Chia didnt have a first round pick and didnt get to draft a player till the end of the 2nd...Considering that I'm happy with this draft and excited to see how they turn out!!

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
I'm pretty exited about Arnesson.
Already dependable even though he's a boy among men in Allsvenskan.
Great defensive instincts and a good skater.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
European head scout Jukka Holtari said Arnesson has Seides/Ference upside; steady, anticipates play,"appreciate him the more you see him"^CS

Assistant GM Jim Benning on MA native Ryan Fitzgerald: "real smart, plays hard; he'll fit right into our culture and competitiveness" ^CS

Scout Jukka Holtari on LW Peter Cehlarik (90th pick): "smart, skilled, well-sized; style of play reminds me a little bit of Anze Kopitar"^CS

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
Oh and then trade pevs

Looch-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Spooner
Kelly-Soderberg-Knight
Merlot

Chara-Boychuk
Seids-Hamilton
Bart/Krug-MacQ
Krug/Bart

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Agreed. Hoping for some more picks in a rights deal with nate or ference and see Peverley dealt. Hard to watch Chicago deal cap problems for assets and re sign a key member. Bad week for Boston.

Yep. Seeing them dump all that salary while the Bruins did nothing was frustrating to say the least.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Yep. Seeing them dump all that salary while the Bruins did nothing was frustrating to say the least.

They dumped about 4.5 million both of the deals expire after this season. Chicago is/was in worse cap shape than us. Look at our roster, potentiall the only player we are going to lose is Horton, (Ference has an in-house upgrade) and the Bruins will likely replace Horton with a mid-tier free agent winger.

The sky is not falling.. Jeez.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
They dumped about 4.5 million both of the deals expire after this season. Chicago is/was in worse cap shape than us. Look at our roster, potentiall the only player we are going to lose is Horton, (Ference has an in-house upgrade) and the Bruins will likely replace Horton with a mid-tier free agent winger.

The sky is not falling.. Jeez.

No one is saying the sky is falling but if the traded Rich for a middle round pick they probably could have traded up and getting rid of his salary helps the future.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pretty decent job by the B's taking what was given to them. Arnesson is a high floor D prospect who kind of reminds me of bartkowski when reading the scouting report. bigger guy, skates well, good first pass, tries to do too much at this point. a lot of barts skills and flaws as a young defensemen.

Cehlarik is a high risk high reward type. Hopefully he can boom big time next year and make the Bruins look like genius'.

the fitzgerald pick kind of bothers me. Do the bruins really need another undersized forward who's best asset is his cerebral knowledge of the game? is spooner, khoklachev, and griffith not enough? thats part of the reason why i didn't want subban. Krug, grzelcyk and warsofsky are enough undersized D men in our pool.

sherman is a classic late round pick, long term o gara type prospect. big physical shut down defender that will develop in the Ivy the next four years.

Don't have anything to say about the mystery swede and the big enforcer from plymouth. probably long shots to ever get a contract.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I've never seen Fitzgerald play but from Bill's analysis the 1st name that pops into my head is Riendeau- Bill do you think there's a comparison to be made there?

No, I don't see Riendeau. I think Derek Stepan is what he could become at the high end, and maybe Zach Hamill is the worst case scenario. I like that he's going to BC. They know how to develop young players and he'll be in a winning environment. Let him stay there for a few years to get stronger and faster before he moves on to the AHL.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
No, I don't see Riendeau. I think Derek Stepan is what he could become at the high end, and maybe Zach Hamill is the worst case scenario. I like that he's going to BC. They know how to develop young players and he'll be in a winning environment. Let him stay there for a few years to get stronger and faster before he moves on to the AHL.

Derek steppan or bust!

Couldn't resist...

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Just got back from World War Z, and a graduation party before that, so I couldn't watch any of the Bruins draft picks....

All in all, for not having a 1st rounder, looks like we did ok.

Cehlarik looks like he can be a good player, late gem. If skating is his only glaring issue, that's really good. Something that can DEFINITELY be worked on. Look at Tavares, his skating was pretty damn bad for his first few years. Lucic, too.

Fitzgerald also looks like he can be a surprise... Kind of like a Marchand. He'll be good if he ever plays on the Bruins, a skill guy that you can't bother since we have size everywhere. Certainly has potential.

Arnesson also looks good... Defensive defenseman, Twitter said Seidenberg-type player. Definitely doesn't hurt to have a guy like that.

It'll be a while until we see any of them, if we do, but I like it for the most part. Really tough to judge... No one is making an impact for a while. Wish we had a first, though.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Just got back from World War Z, and a graduation party before that, so I couldn't watch any of the Bruins draft picks....

All in all, for not having a 1st rounder, looks like we did ok.

Cehlarik looks like he can be a good player, late gem. If skating is his only glaring issue, that's really good. Something that can DEFINITELY be worked on. Look at Tavares, his skating was pretty damn bad for his first few years. Lucic, too.

Fitzgerald also looks like he can be a surprise... Kind of like a Marchand. He'll be good if he ever plays on the Bruins, a skill guy that you can't bother since we have size everywhere. Certainly has potential.

Arnesson also looks good... Defensive defenseman, Twitter said Seidenberg-type player. Definitely doesn't hurt to have a guy like that.

It'll be a while until we see any of them, if we do, but I like it for the most part. Really tough to judge... No one is making an impact for a while. Wish we had a first, though.

I for one am looking forward to development camp. Should be fun. :)

Other than the lack of a first-rounder, it was a typical draft for a Cup finalist. I think some fans have been spoiled in recent years by the bounty of the Kessel trade (and a couple of others as well - it was the Kobasew trade, for example, that landed Koko). This year was more "normal" for a top team.

Hope you liked the movie, I did. :)

marty

Jun 30, 2007
Didn't Alfredsson go in the 6th round? A surprising swede in the sixth... hmm...

Without knowing anything about him, Blidh is my new favourite prospect. A computer error lead to manufactured excitement in the 6th round. Love long shots.

I don't think it's a bad thing to take some project picks when you are a top contending team. Start a prospect factory like Detroit has done. Bring guys over/up at age 22-24, more mature and physically ready for the NHL game.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Strange day to see such an draft by the Bruins. Sounds like there are a few there that could make some noise which is a good day when you are making the first pick at 60.

Regardless, a warm welcome for the kids to the Bruins organization. Have to think that Cehlarik is has a huge grin knowing he may get a chance to play on a team with Chara!

I wonder if, with the lockout, it gave a chance to dig deeper into the other leagues to find some of these guys, or if it was just BPA based on their standard scouting routines and schedules and it just panned out like this in 13...

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
soooo.....

is it possible to update the first post in this thread with the bruins draft picks....?

or do we have to surf thru pages of crap or look elsewhere to find them...?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Interesting to see if any undrafted players get a camp invite.

Like Nick Ebert last year, early indications were a guy like Stephen Harper was a potential 1st round pick, and while Ebert was drafted last, Harper wasn't wasn't drafted.

Playing on a terrible Erie Otters team where all eyes were on Connor McDavid probably didn't help much.

Anyway, that's just one name. There are others. Lets see if Chiarelli pulls a name out of the hat

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
mixed views on the draft, but I do like the Peter Cehlarik pick.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Interesting to see if any undrafted players get a camp invite.

Like Nick Ebert last year, early indications were a guy like Stephen Harper was a potential 1st round pick, and while Ebert was drafted last, Harper wasn't wasn't drafted.

Playing on a terrible Erie Otters team where all eyes were on Connor McDavid probably didn't help much.

Anyway, that's just one name. There are others. Lets see if Chiarelli pulls a name out of the hat

Knowing that they were potentially drafting so late I hope they put a big push into bringing in some of the undrafted guys that they see potential in....

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What are the rules for bringing in undrafted players?

I know you can invite them to your camp, but I thought if they were 18 or 19 and undrafted, then they immediately went into next year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad