Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
lots of focus on the top forwards but assuming we add some later first...who are the d worth watching in this draft? Any top pair RHD?

Bowen Byram, IMO, is the only defender in this class that has true top pairing ability. Does everything right and has an excellent knack for the game. I'd say he's a top 5 talent, ATM. Others that could have that potential are Cam York, Anttoni Honka and Phillip Broberg, but all to a lesser extent.

With that said, I don't think this is a particularly strong draft for defensemen this year. More so guided on centers and goaltenders, IMHO.

Reactions: Edge

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
There's not a lot of talk on Victor Soderstrom. Kid looks like a more offensive Niklas Hjalmarsson!

FWIW, Nail Yakupov is having a really good reclamation year with SKA. 12 points (7 goals, 5 apples) in 15 GP, with a plus-7 and 8 PIM. Might be worth the try.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks with a common trend ;)....

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (2) RW: Kaapo Kakko (FIN)(6'1"/180lbs., Shot: Left, TPS/Liiga)

2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

2 (33) C/LW: John Beecher (USA)(6'3"/203lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 U. od Michigan Commit*
2 (59) D: Artemi Knyazev (RUS)(5'11"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Chicoutimi/QMJHL)
3 (64) C: John Farinacci (USA)(6'0"/181lbs., Shot: Right, Dexter/HS-MA) *19/20 Harvard U. Commit*
5 (126) C: Petr Cajka (CZE)(6'0"/168lbs., Shot: Left, Erie/OHL)
6 (157) D: Domenick Fensore (USA)(5'7"/154lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 Boston U. Commit*
7 (188) RW: Semyon Astashevsky (RUS)(5'11"/181lbs., Shot: Left, Omskie/MHL)

This one has to be the best mock so far, IMO. Kakko is doing crazy things in Liiga that hasn't been looked at since Barkov. Beecher is a strong skater, a big body and has good positioning. I don't see him as a center in the pros, but can definitely be a good two-way winger. Needs to not get caught watching the game, though. Knayzev is a great get in the late 2nd. Has tremendous puck moving ability and possession game. Can make a good first pass and still stand people up at the blue line. Solid top-4, two-way potential. Farinacci has a fan favorite motor and relentless work ethic. Not so much offensive ability, but could become a defensive center like Dom Moore. Cajka could be a steal in the 5th. Has very good awareness and offensive ability on the ice and can elevate his game in playoffs (as most saw in the WJC-18 last season). Can battle along the boards and come away clean with the puck. He's having a fair start to the season, as it's his first in the OHL. Fensore is tough for his size and, although he gets pushed around a bit, has a good poke check and can be slippery in puck battles. More offensive than defensive, if he can grow a little bigger he could be the next Will Butcher. I've seen very little on Astashevsky, but from what I saw he is a point getter (not sure more goal scoring or play making, yet) and is in line with some of the top prospects coming out of the MHL so probably not a bad gamble in the 7th round!!

Thoughts?

Reactions: Rangers in 7

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
There are some RD I like, but not sure I'd label them top pairing potential at this point. And of course that could change.

I like the American kids Helleson and McCarthy

The other two that jump out to me at the moment is Anttoni Honka (Julius' brother) and Victor Soderstrom.

This is a weak draft for D. Based on the teams drafting strategy last summer, I assume they identified this and that's why they loaded up on defenseman.

But there are some potential gems here

Honka is a guy I'm trying to monitor as this season progresses. I think he can be real good.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Both Laine and Kakko were/are big kids playing in Liiga and flat out dominating in their D-1 year. Laine is the better shooter and a pure sniper. Doesn't really move his feet too much. Big Buff is starting to get on him for it, and other teams and coaches are noticing this too. Take away Laine's space and you shut him down.

Kakko is the more dynamic skater and complete player. He's very unpredictable and shifty with the puck based on what I've seen. Dominant is the word I'd use to describe him. He's easily my #2 behind Hughes right now.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Turcotte
7. Newhook
8. Podkolzin
9. Suzuki
10. Krebs

For me right now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Somehow people will complain about not picking Newhook, Turcotte or Dach

I have a feeling that 99 percent of posters are probably pretty content with Hughes-Kakko as 1-2.

It’s from that third spot that we’d probably see some complaining — about missing out on the top two talents and about how we end up taking.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Agree on that top 10 pretty much mine as well but I would sneak kaliyev in there at that 9 or 10 spot.

That top 5 is mine exactly
He can overtake Krebs pretty soon. I want to see if he'll sustain the torrid pace he's on for a few more weeks until I move him up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have a feeling that 99 percent of posters are probably pretty content with Hughes-Kakko as 1-2.

It’s from that third spot that we’d probably see some complaining — about missing out on the top two talents and about how we end up taking.

Let's see what happens. It all depends on who is ranked 3rd in meaningless rankings :laugh:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If dach at 6'4" and apparently a good skater finishes the season at 2 ppg in the whl and has strong showing in whatever international play he gets this year...does he challenge for 1st overall?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If dach at 6'4" and apparently a good skater finishes the season at 2 ppg in the whl and has strong showing in whatever international play he gets this year...does he challenge for 1st overall?
No. But he'll cement himself into the 3 spot.

Reactions: jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Turcotte
7. Newhook
8. Podkolzin
9. Suzuki
10. Krebs

For me right now.
Not a huge Dach fan (no good reason, to be honest), but would be thrilled if not choosing in the top 2 to get any of your next 4. May even be leaning to Bryam as he becomes the future #1 defenseman.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Not a huge Dach fan (no good reason, to be honest), but would be thrilled if not choosing in the top 2 to get any of your next 4. May even be leaning to Bryam as he becomes the future #1 defenseman.
Byram and Poldkozin would be the only ones I'd be down if we drafted them. I think the chances that one of Rykov, Hajek, Miller and Skjei become a 1D are decent enough that it would be a waste to select a LD so early in the draft, and Poldkozin will stay in Russia for at least 3 years because of his contract with SKA (and probably not playing in the KHL).
Give me one of Newhook, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens if we miss Hughes and Kakko and I'll be a happy camper.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Doubtful.

What Dach is doing is amazing, but I think Hughes-Kakko are just on a different level from him at this point.

However, he could become the consensus third pick in the draft.

Everyone is focusing on Dach, and I have to be honest with you, I don't know if there's that much separating him and Cozens right now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Doubtful.

What Dach is doing is amazing, but I think Hughes-Kakko are just on a different level from him at this point.

However, he could become the consensus third pick in the draft.

Everyone is focusing on Dach, and I have to be honest with you, I don't know if there's that much separating him and Cozens right now.
I think this year will mostly be going back and forth about which of those two should be 3/4. It’s been a tougher go for Cozens because Lethridge has been brutal defensively when I watched them, and there goalie isn’t great either. Saskatoon is a much, much better team.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think this year will mostly be going back and forth about which of those two should be 3/4. It’s been a tougher go for Cozens because Lethridge has been brutal defensively when I watched them, and there goalie isn’t great either. Saskatoon is a much, much better team.

And that's something I am trying to keep in mind when comparing the two.

Cozens is also scoring at a great pace thus far and I can't help but feel that if Dach and Cozens swapped teams, their numbers would reverse as well. I think they're that close at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad