Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have that suspicion too, but they did catch my eye. I think he’s getting by based on a size advantage right now, so it’ll be interesting to see if college hockey helps him

Reminds me of Adam Samuelsson who didn’t get drafted last year. Some skill and some defensive ability, but he’s not some big mean defensive defenseman and he cannot skate.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Reminds me of Adam Samuelsson who didn’t get drafted last year. Some skill and some defensive ability, but he’s not some big mean defensive defenseman and he cannot skate.

It always seems like Ulfie’s kids are just intriguing enough to garner attention, but never quite have that certain “it” factor to translate their attributes to the NHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, I could see that. Three other dmen I'm planning on keeping tabs on this year are Jack York, Jake LeGuerrier, and Thomas Pelletier. LeGuerrier should have a really good opportunity if Timmins and Sambrook leave next year since he'd probably end up with Sandin for most of the season. He'll be one of the older dmen in this draft, but I really trust the coaching at SSM to get him ready for the pro game.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Looks like Button is reading the tea leaves and want to jump on an early riser.

I wanna see 'these' centers, like Hayton, come into the NHL and do well before I fully buy into this trend. Its like you have one trend in the NHL where its all about speed and ability to play with the puck, but then in the NHL draft the last years the biiiig risers have been -- somewhat -- clutch centers with size. Then someone will say, Ola what are you talking about he is skilled he isn't some Joel Otto type etc etc etc. But that is not what I mean, but there is no way a guy like Hayton is drafted where he was if he was 2 inch shorter and played on the wing. Jack Hughes would be a top pick no matter where he played our what -- intangibles -- he has because he is a great hockey player.

I've never seen Cozens play though, so not commenting on him specifically, but there seem to be a notion out there that team puts a huge premium on solid centers with a bit of size.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How is my kid Leevi Aaltonen doing? I've not seen his name anywhere this year. Wasn't at the WJSS. Is he injured?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two most impressive players so far at the Hlinka are two 2020 eligibles, Justin Barron and Lucas Raymond. Both have been tremendous so far. The 2020 draft is looking like the deepest draft in years. This was said about 2018 though, so its really too early to tell whether it will continue, but the 2020 guys are taking the spotlight from the 2019 guys at this tournament.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lucas Raymond is destroying Slovakia today. Maybe the best single game junior international performance I've seen all year. He's played about half the game, and I can count on one hand the amount of shifts he hasn't created a scoring chance. With some better finishing from Sweden today, he'd have like 7 points.

Edit: Incredibly dirty from the Slovaks. They injured him away from the play with a couple minutes to go. But he came back for one final shift and skated by the whole team and nearly scored a highlight-reel goal. :laugh:

Great to hear, I've not heard of Lucas, but his bigger brother is really filthy but like 5'3...

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I could see that. Three other dmen I'm planning on keeping tabs on this year are Jack York, Jake LeGuerrier, and Thomas Pelletier. LeGuerrier should have a really good opportunity if Timmins and Sambrook leave next year since he'd probably end up with Sandin for most of the season. He'll be one of the older dmen in this draft, but I really trust the coaching at SSM to get him ready for the pro game.
I thought Sandin was going back to Sweden?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I thought Sandin was going back to Sweden?
Yes, you’re right. I forgot about that whole weird loan situation with Rogle. It’ll be interesting to see how that defense pans out since they’ll be losing some key players.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@ManUtdTobbe To revert to a discussion we had earlier (https://hfboards.mandatory.com/goto/post?id=146540999#post-146540999) were you more or less questioned my sanity... ;)

I just wanted to share this observation from Pronman:
"Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, New York Islanders: Wahlstrom’s camp was very so-so ... I didn’t like how he got caught behind the pace at times and didn’t find ways to win back pucks. Pace and battle effort have been criticisms of his game."

I know that we discussed why I was claiming something that "nobody" else noticed, I just wanted to point out that I am not -- always -- posting crap that has no substance/nobody else spots... :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, you’re right. I forgot about that whole weird loan situation with Rogle. It’ll be interesting to see how that defense pans out since they’ll be losing some key players.

Yeah, due to the loan agreement, he's eligible for the AHL, so who knows.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I definitely think I'm reaching on him, but I'll stick to that projection for now. I have a feeling Dach is easily going to usurp that spot once I start paying more attention to him this season. I'd hope Dach starts scoring more goals too.

Agreed. I feel Dach could rise and Krebs could fall, but way too early to tell.

Okay, I'm excited now!! :popcorn:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Sandin is with Rogle for the coming season so LeGuerrier will have the opportunity for sure. I think Timmins will be in the pros for sure.

Edit: Already touched on. My b :)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Looks like Button is reading the tea leaves and want to jump on an early riser.

I wanna see 'these' centers, like Hayton, come into the NHL and do well before I fully buy into this trend. Its like you have one trend in the NHL where its all about speed and ability to play with the puck, but then in the NHL draft the last years the biiiig risers have been -- somewhat -- clutch centers with size. Then someone will say, Ola what are you talking about he is skilled he isn't some Joel Otto type etc etc etc. But that is not what I mean, but there is no way a guy like Hayton is drafted where he was if he was 2 inch shorter and played on the wing. Jack Hughes would be a top pick no matter where he played our what -- intangibles -- he has because he is a great hockey player.

I've never seen Cozens play though, so not commenting on him specifically, but there seem to be a notion out there that team puts a huge premium on solid centers with a bit of size.

Cozens is electric, but it could be misguided still. It's still early, but I'm leaning more on the side of Button, though (ugh.... I hate that I said that). If all can go right, he'll be a top 5 pick in June.

Reactions: Ola

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
The more prospects rise, the better our chances on picking Kakko with our top-5ish pick.

If we have 2 1st rounders, target Kakko or a C and LW

If we have 3, target Kakko, a center and LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad