Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@ManUtdTobbe To revert to a discussion we had earlier (https://hfboards.mandatory.com/goto/post?id=146540999#post-146540999) were you more or less questioned my sanity... ;)

I just wanted to share this observation from Pronman:
"Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, New York Islanders: Wahlstrom’s camp was very so-so ... I didn’t like how he got caught behind the pace at times and didn’t find ways to win back pucks. Pace and battle effort have been criticisms of his game."

I know that we discussed why I was claiming something that "nobody" else noticed, I just wanted to point out that I am not -- always -- posting crap that has no substance/nobody else spots... :)

I'm not surprised by any of those observations --- they all jive with areas of his game that were questioned at times last year.

Wahlstrom is an incredibly talented offensive player, but he kicks it into cruise control more than he should.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
footes skating gives me seizures.

hes slow and lumbering.

I'm always amazed at how many kids of former NHL players have such poor or average skating.

You'd think these kids, perhaps more than most, would have access to top-level training and development.

I mention this primarily because we were just talking about Samuelsson's kids the other day and how poor they all are at skating.

Both Foote brothers are not great skaters either, not unlike their father. But they're smart players, like their father.

But for the past 6 years or so, we've seen a clear emphasis on skating (some would say too much emphasis). That would make a lot of these kids 11 or 12 when that shift really started. It's not as if it came our of nowhere.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm not surprised by any of those observations --- they all jive with areas of his game that were questioned at times last year.

Wahlstrom is an incredibly talented offensive player, but he kicks it into cruise control more than he should.

Nobody seem to acknowledge the fact that he is 207 lbs. This will change in a few years, but it’s a major major factor, I wouldn’t maybe say issue, but factor. In 3-4 years I can bet that people will start to take notice more of forwards not being slimmer.

There is not one other forward for US at the WJSS over 183 lbs. When you move on the ice, those 24 lbs have a big impact. And there are so many forwards out there at that level around 160-170 lbs. in those cases we are talking 40 sometimes 50 lbs difference.

I saw our pick Ragnarsson and his teammates work out in the gym the other day. Ragnarsson isn’t that thin, but darn those the modern hockey player look different than they did 30 years ago. So many of the players for Almtuna in the second tier division are so tiny. They wouldn’t stick out at a high school unless you look closely.

Wahlstrom is immobile on the ice. Last year at the U18 it was really obvious against Canada that it potentially can become an issue. He dominated against lesser opponents like the Czechs and co. But when the pace picked up it showed.

A hockey player 207 lbs isn’t even remotely good to skate like someone 170 lbs. Its simple physics. Straight lines like AO, sure. But OW doesn’t have AOs stride.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nobody seem to acknowledge the fact that he is 207 lbs. This will change in a few years, but it’s a major major factor, I wouldn’t maybe say issue, but factor. In 3-4 years I can bet that people will start to take notice more of forwards not being slimmer.

There is not one other forward for US at the WJSS over 183 lbs. When you move on the ice, those 24 lbs have a big impact. And there are so many forwards out there at that level around 160-170 lbs. in those cases we are talking 40 sometimes 50 lbs difference.

I saw our pick Ragnarsson and his teammates work out in the gym the other day. Ragnarsson isn’t that thin, but darn those the modern hockey player look different than they did 30 years ago. So many of the players for Almtuna in the second tier division are so tiny. They wouldn’t stick out at a high school unless you look closely.

Wahlstrom is immobile on the ice. Last year at the U18 it was really obvious against Canada that it potentially can become an issue. He dominated against lesser opponents like the Czechs and co. But when the pace picked up it showed.

A hockey player 207 lbs isn’t even remotely good to skate like someone 170 lbs. Its simple physics. Straight lines like AO, sure. But OW doesn’t have AOs stride.

My biggest concern with Wahlstrom is that he doesn’t always work for the points when he can’t just fire them in. He’s got a good frame, and he’s got good hockey sense, but he doesn’t always use them. Frankly, he doesn’t like anyone breathing on him, let alone playing him in close.

And if Wahlstrom isn’t scoring goals, I’m not really sure what else he brings to the table. He’s not really a playmaker, he’s not a guy who goes into the trenches, he’s not guy who takes command of a game.

There’s a lot of Mike Gardner there — both the guy who scored a ton of regular season NHL goals, and the guy who more of a support player who required others to captain the ship.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
My biggest concern with Wahlstrom is that he doesn’t always work for the points when he can’t just fire them in. He’s got a good frame, and he’s got good hockey sense, but he doesn’t always use them. Frankly, he doesn’t like anyone breathing on him, let alone playing him in close.

And if Wahlstrom isn’t scoring goals, I’m not really sure what else he brings to the table. He’s not really a playmaker, he’s not a guy who goes into the trenches, he’s not guy who takes command of a game.

There’s a lot of Mike Gardner there — both the guy who scored a ton of regular season NHL goals, and the guy who more of a support player who required others to captain the ship.
I still feel like he’s closest to Alexander Semin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay, I really like Philip Broberg. He's looking like Dahlin against Russia rn.

I like his skating and puck handling. Defends reasonably well and has decent size. I think hockey IQ and passing are question marks. He's worked his way into first round contention though at this tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I pray that Kakko drops, but it wont happen. And we won't have the 2nd pick in the 2019 draft :(

I think he could.

In a draft with a lot of good centers, teams picking at the top might prefer centers, if its close between a center and winger.

I don't see that as a problem. I think the real problem would be if we needed "insert player" to drop. If we aren't picking in the top 5, this team is on the wrong track.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What’s the perception of Sasha Mutala? He had pretty impressive D-1 numbers and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in limited viewings

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’s the perception of Sasha Mutala? He had pretty impressive D-1 numbers and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in limited viewings

Never been impressed, but some like his game. I think he's held back Cozens at the Hlinka.

Josh Williams is my preferred under the radar WHL winger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
One of Podkolzin's four goals against USA today....

The New York Rangers select, from SKA in the MHL, Vasily Podkolzin.

McKenzie: "I like this pick. The Rangers have a clear goal and know what type of players they need"
Dreger: "It's a bit of a reach there, Bob"
Pierre: "Podkolzin reminds me a lot of Pavel Buchnevich"

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Button just gave his top 5 for the 2019 draft on NHL Network....

1. Jack Hughes
2. Dylan Cozens
3. Philip Broberg
4. Kaapo Kakko
5. Vasili Podkolzin

This is highly Hlinka based, but what do you all think?

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Button just gave his top 5 for the 2019 draft on NHL Network....

1. Jack Hughes
2. Dylan Cozens
3. Philip Broberg
4. Kaapo Kakko
5. Vasili Podkolzin

This is highly Hlinka based, but what do you all think?
Button does this constantly, rides a trend and then makes a ridiculous claim about a player after a good stretch of games.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->