Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VII (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I get worrying about Caufield’s size and all, but he plays that tenacious kind of game that helps most small players succeed in the NHL

Yeah, I am not at all worried about his size, not the least.

He will just be harder to get a hold of. His upside will be decided by how many chances he can create and how many of them he can bury.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have not seen Zegras play with Hughes before, and it was quite interesting to see him in that role. Without Hughes he is disappears a lot more from games and is mostly a threat on the PP and once great chances occur in the offensive zone a few times per game. With Hughes he gets the same room 5 on 5 as he does on the PP otherwise.

I think his play in the NHL -- possibly even more than Caufield -- will depend on what type of environment he can end up in.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
One small trait I thought stood out about Caufield, and this is not to say I have any idea if it will translate to the NHL, he can one time a pass, get it on net with velocity, even if that pass is not really in his wheelhouse.
I REAAAALLLLY want Caufield

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Caufield has the potential to be a very good NHL player.

The question is can he be great. It's the full ceiling I am not quite sure of. Right now I see him as a top support player type.

But could he be a line driver or a top offensive threat for a team? Maybe.

To me, that's the debate at this point. If you think he's a support player, albeit a very good one, that's probably a pick between 11-15.

If you think he's more than that, and a driving force, now you're talking about the top 10.

At the end of the day, goal scorers are usually seen as sexier picks. Especially if they're seen as "natural" goal scorers.

Third seems a bit much for me. But I could easily envision Caufield being in play when you start getting to Buffalo and Edmonton.
Caufield playing with McDavid would be fun to watch

Reactions: Bluenote13

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
What are the chances the Rangers move up to get Dach? Would Kreider plus WPG hypothetical 18th OA and DAL 1st be enough? Or am I just crazy. His size and skill would be a nice addition.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
What are the chances the Rangers move up to get Dach? Would Kreider plus WPG hypothetical 18th OA and DAL 1st be enough? Or am I just crazy. His size and skill would be a nice addition.

Slim to none, Dach will go top 6 ... would also cost a fortune to get back into the top 6-7. Not worth it at all.

We'll pick Kakko and wait and see. If Caufield is there at ten, look out for us to jump up and try to grab him.

We have to be smart and economic with our deals and I think the price for another top 6 pick is just to high.

There is so much talent in that 1st round, we have to wait and see where the chips fall after the first 5 prospects are off the board.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Slim to none, Dach will go top 6 ... would also cost a fortune to get back into the top 6-7. Not worth it at all.

We'll pick Kakko and wait and see. If Caufield is there at ten, look out for us to jump up and try to grab him.

We have to be smart and economic with our deals and I think the price for another top 6 pick is just to high.

There is so much talent in that 1st round, we have to wait and see where the chips fall after the first 5 prospects are off the board.

So let’s pretend Dach falls to 8 or 9. Gorton has been hinting at moving into the top ten no?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Like everyone else, I like Caufield, but I think it's being underestimated just how much he needs people to set him up, and this tournament is a perfect example, 12 goals & 2 assists.

Obviously an extremely impressive goals tally, but probably 1/3 of those goals are wide open or empty netters (like today's goal) set up by other elite talents like Hughes.

Put it all together, and unless he has very talented linemates to play with, I'm not quite sure how this translates.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Kreider and a 2nd isn’t getting you a top ten pick.

If all it takes is Kreider and DAL late first I’d be totally fine with that.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Why do so many Rangers posters always talk about trading Kreider?

He's a lock to score somewhere from 21 to 28 goals every year & he's only 27 years old.

And why would you trade that for a #10 pick that you'd hope one day might........uh.......score 28 goals per year three or four years from now.

I don't get it. :huh:

Reactions: eco's bones

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

He's a lock to score somewhere from 21 to 28 goals every year & he's only 27 years old.

And why would you trade that for a #10 pick that you'd hope one day might........uh.......score 28 goals per year three or four years from now.

We're gonna suck next year.

Then, he's due for a new contract starting at age 29. Gonna ask for 6-7 years at big money probably.

I'm not taking that risk when he already has some injury problems. If we were on the verge of competing, maybe I do. But by the time we'll be competitive, he'll be 31 or so and on a big long-term big money deal with a possibility of being an albatross.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Kreider trade talk. It's all crazy talk to me. I would like to - and think it's very important - to keep an identification core together.

Kreider, Staal and Hank are the main guys. Born and bread Rangers. Staal and Hank have immovable contracts, so be it.

Kreider is a major two-way force in the NHL, f*** semantics. His freakish athleticism is an invaluable asset.
He's not perfect, but he's perfect for the Rangers.

Personally I'm totally pleased by the way the draft is shaping up. Looking maybe to trad up in the teens to secure a kid like Seider. Lock down that defense.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

A lot of the board is in a state of mind where they're open to moving any player 25 or older.

I've even seen proposals to trade Zibanejad.

That said, Gorton has been consistently moving players who are impending UFAs, and some of us think that trend isn't about to stop until the team is back in the postseason. 6x6.7 is around what Kreider would get, and that would take him to 35 years of age. A lot depends on how we think he'd age- will he have a long career like Chimera, or start to decline at 30?

I lean towards Kredier bringing a lot of additional intangibles to the table above just production, and am hesitant to trade him. But I get the 'moneyball' argument to trade him for assets now, especially if they were to sign Panarin.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad