Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VII (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I had broberg 10th yesterday in my latest mock as well.

This US team it’s going to be interesting to see what these kids do APART. It’s an absolute powerhouse together playing teams that just don’t even come close to measuring up. But what do these guys look like away from each other? That’s going to be an interesting question. I mean right now I have 6 of them in my top 15 picks maybe 7 if Knight goes to Fla. That’s insane. No one else is playing on a team like that. It’s bound to inflate your stats to a degree. Has that ever even happened before. 6 or 7 guys from the same team in the first 15 picks of the draft??

Hughes
Turcotte
Caufield
Zegras
Boldy
York
Knight

And I will tell you that question has come up. There's a little bit of uncertainty about offensive ceilings because these kids are essentially playing on the teenage equivalent of the Lightning/Leafs/Jets. In other words, they're stacked offensively.

Obviously most people still love the group, but I have heard more than few people wonder if they're looking at a guy who projects as more of a 50 point player rather than a 60+ point player, after they account for the offensive boost.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Do I have this right for the WIN pick?

Currently #21. Cannot be any lower.
Becomes:

18 - if Avs, Jackets & Canes make the CF.

19 - if any two of Avs, Jackets & Canes make CF.

20 - if one of Avs, Jackets & Canes make CF

ROOT for
Dallas
Colorado
Carolina
Columbus

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Boldy is a much better passer then i thought a week ago, skating is meh but damn his passing is good. Had a pretty ridiculous ~3 ft saucer yesterday that wowed me, assist to Brink was pretty aswell.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
And I will tell you that question has come up. There's a little bit of uncertainty about offensive ceilings because these kids are essentially playing on the teenage equivalent of the Lightning/Leafs/Jets. In other words, they're stacked offensively.

Obviously most people still love the group, but I have heard more than few people wonder if they're looking at a guy who projects as more of a 50 point player rather than a 60+ point player, after they account for the offensive boost.

That was my fear, too, when it looked like we were going to pick in the 6-8 range. Getting 2nd with Kaako as the clear choice helps with the fear.

If we had stayed up in the 6-8 slot (or trade into another pick in the top 12), i'd not have had a problem with going with a Podkolzin/Soderstrom/Krebs/Suzuki route.

There is a lot of issue with "breaking up the band" to pull away a player, as we've seen in the NHL.

RiffyNYR61

Nov 12, 2008
PENN STATE
I appreciate the time a bunch of you have taken to put together some rankings. Still, as someone with limited knowledge/viewings of the guys who could be available for NYR's later first-rounders, I'll only really recognize the names and maybe the size of most of the players who would be available. Does anyone have a recommend source that gives a little blurb about each of these late-1st guys all in one place? Or perhaps someone would like to take the time to add a brief synopsis next to each guy's name? Just trying to be a bit more informed when the time comes- thanks!

Reactions: Joey Bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Say the WIN pick is solidified at No. 19 come draft day. Rangers don't trade up or down with it.... they stay at the position. The draft plays out with both C. Caufield and Newhook available at No. 19. Two different players with massive boom potential. Who do you take and why?
Newhook and it's not close. The potential is there for Newhook to be a top line center. He has the tools to make it happen. Having a great postseason, playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I would not grind my teeth at Caufield, clearly the kid has talent. But the size is a concern for me.

Reactions: Midikem and jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Turcotte and Zegras are off the board. In theory, no one has more talent or upside than Podkolzin. But passing on a kid like Boldy or York is tough in that scenario. Same for Newhook or several other guys.
I hate having the "pick I HAVE to make".

Talent wise he is 3OA. But the lack of results are beginning to ring more than one alarm bell. As of today, I would take Boldy ahead of him. But if he somehow slides to the Jets pick, take it and run. He won't however.

Reactions: Edge

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wasn't talking about specific lines playing out different schemes. That 13-14 team still had a strong carryover from Torts' hockey, and they were much more methodical with cycling and establishing possession. Still having that grinding mentality helped them buckle things down when their opponent tried slugging it out with them. If a team wanted to open it up, they had the perfect mix for an AV team that could keep their defense in motion and counterattack as necessary. The big shift towards being more of a counter attack really started in 14-15

I think they just forechecked better, they weren't particularly good at cycling and possession I don't think. Maybe I'm mixing up my years though.

AV seemed to start pushing a more hands off forecheck where guys would just take fly bys at opposing puck carriers rather than go in with the body

At any rate, there's no reason a team going forward can't do the same.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd opt for Newhook there simply because he adds such a unique element to a team that's building an identity around size, speed, and skill.

The multi-directional acceleration and agility are near the best in this class, and he couples elite playmaking potential with a gritty mentality. He's more north-south than someone like Zegras who can weave east-west through teams, and he really has that innate ability to push the pace and turn defenders on their heels. With how so much of offense is built off of controlled entries and lateral puck movement, Newhook will excel in a pro environment.

The two things I'm currently worried about are our forwards and defenders peaking at separate times (someone else made this point yesterday) and that we're building too homogenous of a team. You need to be able to attack in a multitude of ways and in waves. We're lacking that in our current group outside of Zibanejad. It was one of the reasons why that 13-14 team was so good- it could beat teams in whichever style their opponent wanted to play. I want them to get that ability back.

Newhook would be my guy. We’ll have to move up from 20 but it’s very doable

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think they just forechecked better, they weren't particularly good at cycling and possession I don't think. Maybe I'm mixing up my years though.

AV seemed to start pushing a more hands off forecheck where guys would just take fly bys at opposing puck carriers rather than go in with the body

At any rate, there's no reason a team going forward can't do the same.

I think you’re misremembering the carryover to the 14-15 team. That 13-14 team played a really complete style seen by the way they forechecked, cycled, and slowed down the overall pace of the game. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our best overall year happened to the be the year we were methodical in controlling the shot share.

This is getting off topic doe this thread though, so back to my original point: with how the game is moving towards creating offense off of controlled carries through the neutral zone, I think we’re lacking that element of a dangerous puck-carrying forward outside of Mika, maybe Chytil, and ideally Kakko/Kravtsov. That’s why I’d opt for Newhook there- he’s so dangerous with his skating and he plays at such a fast pace. I really think he’ll show his true colors next year in college against more structured teams. His speed is so good that he’ll rip apart teams once he beats them to the circles. Give him better linemates too? Look out.

Newhook would be my guy. We’ll have to move up from 20 but it’s very doable

Yep. I think Vegas losing could also be a blessing in disguise for us too. GMGM probably wants to recoup some assets after spending big these past two deadlines, and I don’t think it’ll be that difficult to get pick #16. Use that as the ammo to move up and get Newhook if he’s still there.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think we need to get into the 11-13 range to get newhook honestly. I think it’s doable but I can’t see him falling outside the top 15 picks. Just no way and if anything the U18s are helping him rise on the depth charts. If we’re seeing him as no less talented than a turcotte or zegras others are as well

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I appreciate the time a bunch of you have taken to put together some rankings. Still, as someone with limited knowledge/viewings of the guys who could be available for NYR's later first-rounders, I'll only really recognize the names and maybe the size of most of the players who would be available. Does anyone have a recommend source that gives a little blurb about each of these late-1st guys all in one place? Or perhaps someone would like to take the time to add a brief synopsis next to each guy's name? Just trying to be a bit more informed when the time comes- thanks!

I don't have the time to write a big long synopsis on every player in the 1st round, but here are a few sites I use to get a sense of where these big prospects could go on draft day....

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com
2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

And this site shows shift-by-shifts of a specific player you're keen on watching more of....

ProspectShifts.com

If you have an inquiry on a specific player, let us know and we can do our best to give our insight!!

:)

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
the Jets pick can turn out to be 18 or 19 or 20 or 21, correct? and only 12.5% probability that it stays at 21 and does not move up and 87.5% chance that it moves up at least 1 spot.

I think Avs beating Sharks is almost guaranteed so we should be looking at 18 to 20.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Where is the tape that makes Podkolzin the undisputed 3rd OV? The dude is like riding a performance that was a year ago against kids, seems to me ...

I'd love for CHI to draft him, but they will be smarter than that and he'll drop in my book. Pretty much DND in my book.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad