Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VII (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
IMO, Kreider straight up should get you 8OA. But, given the lack of depth in the Oiler system, I wonder if giving them a package of say, Skjei, Andersson and maybe the Winnipeg 1st for 8OA while taking one of the bad contracts might have more appeal.

Skjei is very interesting. He has term which has to be appealing for Edmonton.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
IMO, Kreider straight up should get you 8OA. But, given the lack of depth in the Oiler system, I wonder if giving them a package of say, Skjei, Andersson and maybe the Winnipeg 1st for 8OA while taking one of the bad contracts might have more appeal.
Absolutely not to that package.

Skjei and a 1st. Thats it. Not giving them Andersson too. No shot. Lias was a #7 himself. Just because he isnt getting regular minutes yet as a 19 year old does not mean his value has dropped so much that he needs to be added to already what would be a 1st AND Skjei.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
If we are going to speculate about a 2nd top 10, we may as well figure out the realistic trade partners. Those willing to trade down or out of the spot entirely.

I want to say Colorado needs a NHL ready player. But they found money on the ground, their core is young, and their seems to be patience in that organization.

LA is in flux, they need cheap talent. I doubt they trade. Detroit is rebuilding, they stay.

Buffalo and Edmonton need to get going. They are possibilities. Edmonton may want NHL talent, but lack cap room. We can take back cap which helps. I don't think they take an unsigned Kreider.

Anaheim could be interested in immediate help. Kreider is still an issue without an extension but they could use his speed to augment their lineup.

Vancouver has a nice core in place and they have said stuff to indicate they want to make a plunge. Pure pipe dreaming, but I wondered already if they would trade back 4 spots or so to draft Knight.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Absolutely not to that package.

Skjei and a 1st. Thats it. Not giving them Andersson too. No shot. Lias was a #7 himself. Just because he isnt getting regular minutes yet as a 19 year old does not mean his value has dropped so much that he needs to be added to already what would be a 1st AND Skjei.
Yeah I have to agree! I know many are infatuated with the top 8ish in this draft but if Winnipeg loses in the first or second round that pick could be pretty decent. On top of that trading Lias and Skjei? I think we are giving up on some of our players a bit too fast. I mean if we trade Skjei and Kreider we need to be real careful. we will have a team made up pretty much of 18-21 year olds.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Anaheim needs to rebuild. They should not be adding and likely wont.

We are not helping Edmonton out, taking on salary so they can get Skjei or Kreider, without paying more than just their 1st round pick. We arent here to do favors. Skjei or Kreider could be worth the pick alone imo.

Vancouver may be a possibility.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Took them long enough I've been advocating for them to do that for like 2 months regardless of where they ended up in the lottery, albeit to be fair I still think they can maybe get as good of a prospect at say 12-15 or so as they can at 8-10, depending on how the draft breaks.

I have no idea why, I mean besides me reading just about everything and seeing the Rangers positioning, I just feel like this draft is the one to push all in for in terms of trying to be in the top ~15 or so.

There are likely to be some prospects who broke records or came close in their leagues who are going to fall outside of the top 10. It's forward heavy with high ceilings, and some teams are going to want a defender or even the goalie.

I do think Kreider with a later 1st pick can maybe get them in the top 10, I think Edmonton with that #8, maybe even Buffalo at #7, those two teams need to do some stuff at the NHL level. Florida, Arizona at #13, 14. Are those seats getting hot? Maybe Montreal at #15 if they are over Emelin tripping him into Price thing. Take back some cap hit so that team even if they can't extend Kreider they get something extra out of the deal for something else.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
For a while a guy i've been looking at in mock drafting our later first round pick(s) is Raphael Lavoie...seems like last few weeks his stock has been rising maybe to the low mid teens (11-16 range unfortunately). You guys like him? any chance he drops to one of our other picks?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah I have to agree! I know many are infatuated with the top 8ish in this draft but if Winnipeg loses in the first or second round that pick could be pretty decent. On top of that trading Lias and Skjei? I think we are giving up on some of our players a bit too fast. I mean if we trade Skjei and Kreider we need to be real careful. we will have a team made up pretty much of 18-21 year olds.
Some want to trade everyone. It doesnt end here. Its never enough. Some value having draft picks than an actual roster next season. Their pitch is we can just add a cheap vet. Great a cheap vet so the team can still get dominated every night still and we create a losing culture. A team that cant compete and possess the puck so our young players can grow, can have space on the ice to display their talents. Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov. Great for their development to lose most of the season and be smothered out there.

Re-Sign Kreider. Keep Skjei. Draft who you will with the picks you have after Kakko. Stock up the cupboard with a ton of kids and eventually some will blossom to continually filter in every year in the bottom 6 on ELCs as TBL has been doing.

Reactions: bl02

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
A thoughy I’ve had that I haven’t seen anyone bring up. Given the newfound depth on the wing, what about moving on from Chytil? I have no idea how he’s valued around the league, but any chance we can package him with a pick to get Zegras/Turcotte instead of Kreider?

I really like Chytil, and I’m not looking to cut bait on him because I don’t believe in him. But he’s a guy that I would assume has significant value, is a year further along than the American centers, and I assume would be of interest to the teams in the range we are looking at. Deal from a position of strength to fill a hole. Thoughts?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For a while a guy i've been looking at in mock drafting our later first round pick(s) is Raphael Lavoie...seems like last few weeks his stock has been rising maybe to the low mid teens (11-16 range unfortunately). You guys like him? any chance he drops to one of our other picks?

I'm not a fan, particularly in the teens.

I don't think the higher end talent is there, and I see a player who is older and bigger than a lot of his competition. Not an inspiring combination when we start talking about the top half of a strong first round.

Reactions: lucky13

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Byram maybe? It’d be insane if we can get another top 10 pick though. Rebuild is starting look like it’s going to be shorter than initially expected with us getting Kakko
I believe that to get Byram, means trading into the top 5. Not sure if that is even feasible without sacrificing next year's 1st.

That said, if Gorton managed to leave the first round with BOTH Kakkko & Byram? Turn out the lights, the party's over. Shut down HF. We are ALL meeting out for drinks.

Reactions: Lays

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some want to trade everyone. It doesnt end here. Its never enough. Some value having draft picks than an actual roster next season. Their pitch is we can just add a cheap vet. Great a cheap vet so the team can still get dominated every night still and we create a losing culture. A team that cant compete and possess the puck so our young players can grow, can have space on the ice to display their talents. Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov. Great for their development to lose most of the season and be smothered out there.

Re-Sign Kreider. Keep Skjei. Draft who you will with the picks you have after Kakko. Stock up the cupboard with a ton of kids and eventually some will blossom to continually filter in every year in the bottom 6 on ELCs as TBL has been doing.

I don't think that was the mindset behind the post.

I think the mindset behind the post was the second part of a two part equation.

Part 1. The Rangers are serious about getting into the top 10.

Part 2. How do they do that, who's potentially in play, and what does it cost?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think so much depends on what happens with the playoffs and our finalized picks.

If we get the extra 1st round picks then take the BPA with 2nd 1st round pick, preferrable Newhook/Lavoie/Kaliyev. The latter 2 1st round picks i would use on defensemen.

Reactions: bl02

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I still can't bring myself to take on Lucic. Even with a possibility of a compliance buyout.

Anyone else is fair game re: cap dumps, though.
What about with the thought that Edmonton has to take on Shattenkirk?

Just spit-balling here. That lands your "protector" for the kids as well, as some have speculated is needed.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
A thoughy I’ve had that I haven’t seen anyone bring up. Given the newfound depth on the wing, what about moving on from Chytil? I have no idea how he’s valued around the league, but any chance we can package him with a pick to get Zegras/Turcotte instead of Kreider?

I really like Chytil, and I’m not looking to cut bait on him because I don’t believe in him. But he’s a guy that I would assume has significant value, is a year further along than the American centers, and I assume would be of interest to the teams in the range we are looking at. Deal from a position of strength to fill a hole. Thoughts?

I don’t think now would be the right time to move Chytil. He fits in with the future of this team and has unique skills that will translate to this team’s success. He should be someone that is part of the building process.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't care if some posters gave up on Andersson already, shame on you if you give up on a 20 year old already, but there is no way i'm including him in any deal. We are rebuilding, let the chips falls as they do. Not every player develops into a impactful NHLer by 20..in fact almost none do except the star players.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't think that was the mindset behind the post.

I think the mindset behind the post was the second part of a two part equation.

Part 1. The Rangers are serious about getting into the top 10.

Part 2. How do they do that, who's potentially in play, and what does it cost?
I am open to it. I am not completely against it. I dont think an unsigned Kreider is as appealing. Maybe they can move Skjei to get there. But its concerning moving Skjei out. They would have to have a lot of faith in their young defensemen. Hajek. Lindgren. Make the move for Fox.

I would like to ice a competitive team next year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Which I would guess means that Krieder goes? I cannot see them trading next year's first. And the cost of moving up from the Jets pick would be not be covered by adding our early second.
Only way it's happening IMO. Even if the Winnipeg pick will be very nice (possibly better than 22nd overall we had last year with K'Andre IF Winnipeg loses in first two rounds) it's gonna take a lot lot more draft capital to trade into top 8 to get a Zegras or Turcotte. Kreider plus a little something or Kreider Straight up would be need to involved.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about with the thought that Edmonton has to take on Shattenkirk?

Just spit-balling here. That lands your "protector" for the kids as well, as some have speculated is needed.

I've thought about this before too. I'd require:
1) Edmonton's 1st this year
2) Edmonton retaining AT LEAST $2m per season
3) Edmonton taking Smith

I'd consider taking on another short term contract to help make it happen like a Sam Gagner who only has 1 year left. Something like:

To EDM:
Brendan Smith + Mat Beleskey

To NYR:
EDM 1st '19 + Milan Lucic (@$4m per season) + Sam Gagner

It allows the Oilers the ability to play in UFA this year and moving forward.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Okay, so a brief television timeout here.

No one is giving up anyone, or approaching this particular conversation looking to clear out everyone over the age of 26.

The conversation is that the Rangers are interested in a second top 10 pick.

In order to do get said pick, the cost is going to be high.

So knowing that the cost is going to be high, what potentially meets that price. (Because we aren't sending Pionk and a second to a team).

So let's all bring it back into the circle and talk about what that might include.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You could possibly be trading Skjei, Lias and a Lavoie/Seider/Harley (who are all getting rave reviews) for a Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs...we better damn make sure any of those guys better be a good top 6 player.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I believe that to get Byram, means trading into the top 5. Not sure if that is even feasible without sacrificing next year's 1st.

That said, if Gorton managed to leave the first round with BOTH Kakkko & Byram? Turn out the lights, the party's over. Shut down HF. We are ALL meeting out for drinks.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Chicago take him at 3.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I've thought about this before too. I'd require:
1) Edmonton's 1st this year
2) Edmonton retaining AT LEAST $2m per season
3) Edmonton taking Smith

I'd consider taking on another short term contract to help make it happen like a Sam Gagner who only has 1 year left. Something like:

To EDM:
Brendan Smith + Mat Beleskey

To NYR:
EDM 1st '19 + Milan Lucic (@$4m per season) + Sam Gagner

It allows the Oilers the ability to play in UFA this year and moving forward.

I think you would have to include a late first going the other way.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, before we get too carried, it's one thing to pursue the option, and it's another to successfully pull it off.

But yes, I have at least two independent sources who are absolutely certain there's a desire there.
Just cannot see it getting done without including next year's first. Which I would be categorically against. Unless they can somehow trade and get a 14/15 pick. Package that with another late first, early second. No idea. I am awful trying to come up with what it would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad