Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VI (Lottery 04/09 8PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Yeah, if I had one concern about the next step for Zegras it's that he's going to a BU squad pretty devoid of talent. Fabbro, Farabee, Carpenter, and Bowers all turning pro. Wise looking like he can't figure out the college game. Outside of Vlasic and Mastrosimone, there isn't much on the way out of this years draft crop.

Webber and Doyle are rated pretty high. Either way, nothing wrong with him leading the way and seeing lots of icetime in a very competitive Conference.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
podkolzin, when you watched him in international play, looked like the best player on the ice many times. he was dominant and an absolute bull with the puck and pursuing the puck.

for some reason, the talent- and its there, just hasn't produced the results this season other than in international play.

something doesnt fit there.

add to that his on the record statement about staying in russian 2-3 more years and more than a few teams will pass for fear of taking him too high.

hard pass on podkolzin at 5 or 6.

And that’s the thing, even I were to give him a pass on the KHL, I’ve felt disappointed by what I’ve seen in the MHL and VHL.

Now I’m the first to admit that I’m not the foremost observer of Russian hockey on here, but I’ve seen enough over the years to have an idea what I’m looking for. For me, even when Podkolzin’s been good, he hasn’t been as good as his talent would indicate. Now that’s fine playing against men, but in the lower leagues he should be really turning heads more consistently.

Then there was the WJC where he sort of deferred to the lead of older talent. Again, that happens, but I found myself wondering when it was finally time to call a spade a spade and say that he needs to show me more.

Scouts who love him will tell you that what he’s displaying is uncommon for kids his age. He won’t even turn 18 until draft time. And they’re correct, it is. But in a draft with talent setting records in their respective leagues, and a number of guys with high ceilings and progressive results, how do you properly weigh that?

And that’s the rub. For me, he lost some ground. Over time I found myself watching players who were able to translate their skills, and what they translated looked like it could play in the NHL. And the more I saw of them, the harder it became to pass on them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, if I had one concern about the next step for Zegras it's that he's going to a BU squad pretty devoid of talent. Fabbro, Farabee, Carpenter, and Bowers all turning pro. Wise looking like he can't figure out the college game. Outside of Vlasic and Mastrosimone, there isn't much on the way out of this years draft crop.

Could be a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, they are losing some firepower. On the other hand, there’s a chance for Zegras to come in and really help drive that team.

Mastrosimone is an intriguing shoot-first option that could climb on that team. I believe McCarthy is also slated to join that squad.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
And that’s the thing, even I were to give him a pass on the KHL, I’ve felt disappointed by what I’ve seen in the MHL and VHL.

Now I’m the first to admit that I’m not the foremost observer of Russian hockey on here, but I’ve seen enough over the years to have an idea what I’m looking for. For me, even when Podkolzin’s been good, he hasn’t been as good as his talent would indicate. Now that’s fine playing against men, but in the lower leagues he should be really turning heads more consistently.

Then there was the WJC where he sort of deferred to the lead of older talent. Again, that happens, but I found myself wondering when it was finally time to call a spade a spade and say that he needs to show me more.

Scouts who love him will tell you that what he’s displaying is uncommon for kids his age. He won’t even turn 18 until draft time. And they’re correct, it is. But in a draft with talent setting records in their respective leagues, and a number of guys with high ceilings and progressive results, how do you properly weigh that?

And that’s the rub. For me, he lost some ground. Over time I found myself watching players who were able to translate their skills, and what they translated looked like it could play in the NHL. And the more I saw of them, the harder it became to pass on them.

all that and his wanting to stay over there and marinate a bit more- good for him, come when you are ready but..... and here's the rub for me- for this team right now in the stage they are in, i feel the brass and the fan base are looking for something more tangible, more now, more present than an 18 yr old russian who wont be here perhaps till the 22-23 season.

yes hes talented but there is talent- perhaps better talent with the production resume that pod lacks, here now or who will be here now from pick 3-10 that represents the present and thats a big deal.

hard pass. for your reasons above and for what i described.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Could be a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, they are losing some firepower. On the other hand, there’s a chance for Zegras to come in and really help drive that team.

Mastrosimone is an intriguing shoot-first option that could climb on that team. I believe McCarthy is also slated to join that squad.

Yeah I certainly hope he can step in and be a primary contributor. He's a guy who certainly elevates the play of those around him, so hopefully that carries over to his college career.

Webber and Doyle are rated pretty high. Either way, nothing wrong with him leading the way and seeing lots of icetime in a very competitive Conference.

I did forget about Webber. Hopefully he can take the reins and run with the opportunity.

Reactions: Bluenote13

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I have to say, the anger over our fortune feels better than I could have imagined. I hope it was rigged, honestly. A Winnipeg fan was crying. They jumped from 6 to 2 to get Laine.

"Of course the big markets jumped." Ah, yes, the 85 year con. If we sabotage New York long enough, they will never suspect. Make their coach play goalie in the Stanley Cup Final. Then no home games in another series. 1 cup in 80 years and we'll have them all where we want them.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They better, and I mean better, take Kakko (or Hughes if the Debbies don’t take him). Then they need blow their asset load and get back into the top 10 to snag Turcotte or Zegras. The rebuild is ready to go to the next level.

I love this idea, even if a little past 10

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This is just kind of surreal. I'm trying to think of a way something could go wrong here and I just can't. Even if we spend the next few months salivating over Kakko on Broadway and the Devils shock everyone and take him #1, we're "stuck" with Jack Hughes. I can't believe it.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Damnnnn tho we got Kakko but now what are we gonna debate about in here for the next two months? Seider v York? :laugh:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Here's a debate guys: How do we get back into the top 10?

Kreider, later 1st and take back a shorter term cap dump, maybe not even top 10, just early enough to grab a plausible prospect who should have been taken top 10 or even earlier, prefer center or defender yet LW maybe too.

Reactions: Berserk

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I am a bit scared the Devils take Kakko. They are one of the only teams that I initially thought would take him if they had the first overall. Not that I’d be upset with Hughes though. I prefer Kakko

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I am a bit scared the Devils take Kakko. They are one of the only teams that I initially thought would take him if they had the first overall. Not that I’d be upset with Hughes though. I prefer Kakko
Why?

Devils need a center pretty badly. They have Hischier and....

I just don’t see them passing up on the chance at a guy like Hughes down the middle

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
To me, it’s not a problem, both teams are getting a great player regardless.

If the Rangers do end up with Kakko, I wouldn’t mind taking a swing on Suzuki with Winnipeg’s pick

Reactions: Joey Bones

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Why?

Devils need a center pretty badly. They have Hischier and....

I just don’t see them passing up on the chance at a guy like Hughes down the middle
Just a feeling I’ve had even before today though i never imagined it was a possibility for Devils to get 1 and us to get 2.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
To me, it’s not a problem, both teams are getting a great player regardless.

If the Rangers do end up with Kakko, I wouldn’t mind taking a swing on Suzuki with Winnipeg’s pick
Suzuki is like the last thing we need. While I’ve always liked him (and had him at 7 a few months ago) he really doesn’t fit and I don’t think he’s a Ranger type pick. He has the tendency to disappear and he needs to play with more effort. His IQ and passing is crazy though, especially IQ. Top 5 in the draft. I don’t think he’ll fall to the Jets pick but he’s been sliding a bit lately

I want Poulin with the Jets pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad