Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VI (Lottery 04/09 8PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
alex newhook is suffering from 2 things.

first, playing in the BCHL and lack of exposure that comes with that and secondly, not making the canadian national team.

those 2 and resulting lack of exposure and middling major media buzz have hurt his ranking more than anything.

the holes in his game are no different than the holes in other top players but with the circumstance, his ranking suffers.

talent wise. skill wise. hes right there and would be top 10 easy in this draft had he played major junior.

no question.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Inferno: "Ok since I know like nothing outside of Hughes kakko and pod....whose the big time shooter in this draft class..the guy with the bomb of a shot who can beat goalies clean from anywhere from the circles in...

I feel like we need more our shooters."

I think the more popular responses you'll hear out there include Kaliyev, Caufield and a few others.

But in terms of a guy whose shot has really impressed me, I'm going to throw out the name Nikolayev. That kid has the ability to absolutely laser target the net.

I've seen him take shots where the goalie honestly had no clue where the puck was.

Now the challenge with Nikolayev is that there were times I felt like I had to go back, rewind the video, and double check to see if he was out there. But I think his shooting potential is definitely there.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
alex newhook is suffering from 2 things.

first, playing in the BCHL and lack of exposure that comes with that and secondly, not making the canadian national team.

those 2 and resulting lack of exposure and middling major media buzz have hurt his ranking more than anything.

the holes in his game are no different than the holes in other top players but with the circumstance, his ranking suffers.

talent wise. skill wise. hes right there and would be top 10 easy in this draft had he played major junior.

no question.

I generally feel that if Newhook was playing for the US program, inserted into either the Turcotte or Zegras slots, his production would be close to, if not identical. Now obviously there's no real way to prove that, but I continue to be keenly interested in him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Byram was on Leetch/Zubov level he'd be going first overall. Let's not get carried away just because he's the best D in the draft

Reactions: Ola

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd be happy with just about any of the names being put out there, my view point is, I think the forward ranks in the prospects need something else that has the potential to be a top liner. Preferable a center as they can usually go to wing where it tougher for a wing to go to center.

I think the Rangers once all, to say it one way, are done and competing for and in in the playoffs, can probably get by with a decent top pair, yet without the forwards they can have the best top pair if not top 4 in the league and still struggle Nashville style.

The forwards seem to be able to make a bigger dynamic difference.

With that said if they feel Byram has top pair and/or above potential and they feel the forwards are likely to turn into more 2nd liners, of course I would want the defender.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd be happy with just about any of the name being put out there, my view point is, I think the forward ranks in the prospects need something else that has the potential to be a top liner. Preferable a center as they can usually go to wing where it tougher for a wing to go to center.

I think the Rangers once all, to say it one way, are done and competing for and in in the playoffs, can probably get by with a decent top pair, yet without the forwards they can have the best top pair if not top 4 in the league and still struggle Nashville style.

The forwards seem to be able to make a bigger dynamic difference.

With that said if they feel Byram has top pair and/or above potential and they feel the forwards are likely to turn into more 2nd liners, of course I would want the defender.

If they could get a top talent forward out of this draft that was ready to contribute now (like if they won the draft lottery) and Kravtsov is legit they could have a top six that starts with Zibanejad, 2019 top pick, Kravtsov, Buchnevich, then hope Chytil and Howden and Andersson have taken respectable steps forward in the next 2 years, and you've got a quite talented forward group. There's a lot of "ifs" in there but there's also a good amount of top six or potential top six talent especially if their pick this year is a home run. With that I think you could get by with the D prospects they have, at least to be a playoff team that makes a push.

Dunno, a whole lot rides on these drafts from 2018 on for sure. There's a lot of potential but it has to be realized. Winning the lottery this year would be huge but I'll never bet on it

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
iu

Reactions: Cag29

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If Byram was on Leetch/Zubov level he'd be going first overall. Let's not get carried away just because he's the best D in the draft

Nobody said Byram was on Leetch and Zubov's level. I said we haven't drafted a dmen of Byram's caliber since Leetch and Zubov.

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If we had a pick in the 10-15 range, where I think Newhook will go, I would absolutely want to draft him.
Reminds me of a question I had the other day: Have the Rangers ever traded down in the first round?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Drafting Byram opens the door to package some of our LHD's... What team is in desperate need? Skjei for Trouba has been brought up before... Is there anyone else? Toronto? Skjei for Nylander?

Winning the #3 pick would be interesting. Who would the Rangers have at #3? I'd guess Turcotte and Cozens are very high on their list.

Reactions: Cag29

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Drafting Byram opens the door to package some of our LHD's... What team is in desperate need? Skjei for Trouba has been brought up before... Is there anyone else? Toronto? Skjei for Nylander?

Winning the #3 pick would be interesting. Who would the Rangers have at #3? I'd guess Turcotte and Cozens are very high on their list.
Skjei has done nothing for himself to get either of those 2 players back this season. He's basically just a young top 4 dman who may get better but who knows. He's showed brief flashes of being a top pair dman but they have been very very rare. IMO, he's a very average defenseman who doesn't use his strengths enough.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
NYR1 - Hughes
WPG1 - Caufield
TB1 - Dorofeyev/Nikolayev
NYR2 - Korczak/Tuomisto
DAL2 - Fagemo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

See now I don't think anyone has claimed him to be on that level.

I think the people who aren't as hot on Byram are a bit lower on him than the people who like him are high on him.

I also think that if the argument comes down to not taking Byram, because we have Miller, Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov, then that's just not a strong enough reason for me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nobody said Byram was on Leetch and Zubov's level. I said we haven't drafted a dmen of Byram's caliber since Leetch and Zubov.

Which would be true.

He's a better prospect than MDZ, Staal, Brown, Stewart, Nordstrom, Kloucek, Tyutin and others were at the same point.

I love Miller, but I don't think he was on that level at 18.

It sounds like a bold statement on first blush, but then you start to go back through the history and you find it's not actually that bold of a statement.

Reactions: Kupo

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
See now I don't think anyone has claimed him to be on that level.

I think the people who aren't as hot on Byram are a bit lower on him than the people who like him are high on him.

I also think that if the argument comes down to not taking Byram, because we have Miller, Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov, then that's just not a strong enough reason for me.

look at our forwards.

look at our forward prospects.

that's a strong enough reason for me to pass on byram.

and i think byram is going to be very good.

i think cozens and dach and turcotte and newhook are going to be very good too.

gimme dylan cozens/dach/turcotte (in that order) at 5 and alex newhook at 15 on day 1 and my reaction will be bowen byram who ?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Well Leetch was on Leetch’s level and went 9th overall...

Also, Leetch and Richter came from two programs that played against competition that was way worse than the bchl is today. And with their brief stint on the US team that year they both didn't do much.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
look at our forwards.

look at our forward prospects.

that's a strong enough reason for me to pass on byram.

and i think byram is going to be very good.

i think cozens and dach and turcotte and newhook are going to be very good too.

gimme dylan cozens/dach/turcotte (in that order) at 5 and alex newhook at 15 on day 1 and my reaction will be bowen byram who ?

I could be wrong, but I take it you want me to look at our forwards? ;)

I see Kravtsov, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Barron, Buch, Zibanejad and I see the need more for more help there.

I also look at our defense and see Miller, Hajek, ADA, Lundkvist, Rykov and Lindgren and think we need more help there also.

At center I don't see a whole lot of difference between a group that includes Zibanejad, Chytil, Andersson, Howden and company then I do when I look at a LD that includes Skjei, Miller, Hajek, Rykov and Lindgren.

I get the sense of a false sense of security when I see that LD group.

Having said that, I wouldn't view it as Byram or bust. But I also wouldn't view it as a "why the hell did we do that" type of move.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah this team isn’t strong enough at any position to consider passing on a guy because he’s a D/C/W.

The only position I’m 100% comfortable with moving forward is goalie.

If Byram is deemed the BPA where we’re picking (and IMO he’s BPA from 3 down)...he should be taken.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No one compared him to those two. What was said is that drafting Byram would be drafting the best defensive Rangers prospect since those two.

For context, Leetch was taken 9th and Zubov 85th. A 17 year old is not on the level of where those two finished their careers. However, the hype surrounding Byram is Leetch-like at the time of the draft and greater than Zubov.

No one can make a prediction that his career will be on their level. But one can say that as far as prospects and outlooks go, he would be the best one since Leetch.

Reactions: Kupo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad