Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kakko is better than any of the forwards taken last June after Dahlin. Kakko is a star forward. The Rangers couldn't use one of those players. Oh no.
Not sure what this is about. Of course EVERYONE here would want one of those players. Who wouldn't? Or is this an argument for tanking? Most of us are not discussing Kakko because we do not believe that the Rangers are a bottom-3 team.

Reactions: egelband

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Corey Pronman had a chat on The Athletic on Monday.

A few highlights

Kakko is better than any of the forwards taken last June after Dahlin. Kakko is a star forward. The Rangers couldn't use one of those players. Oh no.

Great depth at center in the draft after Hughes. Cozens. Dach. Turcotte. Zegras. He also likes Suzuki.

Where would Cozens, Dach, Turcotte and Zegras rank as Rangers? If the Rangers drafted one of them, wouldn't they be the Rangers top young center out of Andersson, Chytil and Howden?

Considering that I think Chytil is more than likely Chytil is going to better on the wing, I would definitely agree that any one of those players as well as Newhook) could end up being better than Andersson and Howden. Zibanejad is still the best center in the organization.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Considering that I think Chytil is more than likely Chytil is going to better on the wing, I would definitely agree that any one of those players as well as Newhook) could end up being better than Andersson and Howden. Zibanejad is still the best center in the organization.
More and more, I feel like I'm the only one left who is still confident Chytil's long-term position will be center.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
More and more, I feel like I'm the only one left who is still confident Chytil's long-term position will be center.

He’s a center. He’s just a great player that is going to perform either way. If he were playing center with kreider and Hayes on his wings he’d be just as good. Worrying about his defending at 19 is ridiculous honestly. No stud offensive kid in juniors plays defense. They just don’t until they’re forced to learn it. He’ll be fine defensively

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Pulling a guy that big that skates that well carries the puck that well with the vision he has and moving him to wing because he looks good on the wing is silly. Most great centers can look good on the wing too because they’re great players.

He’s had five mins of center ice with Cody McLeod. That’s it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Can you save your straw man condescension for the roster building thread?

Also, take Corey “Pettersson isn’t a top10 prospect” Pronman with a huge grain of salt

You should apply to be a mod here.

Use the ignore button.

Your attitude is a major reason why this board is not what it used to be. The constant pettiness is getting tiresome.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
You know that everyone on these boards would want a skilled young F like Hughes or Kakko. C’mon now.

To answer your question, yes, all 3 of those guys would have a higher chance at being a top-line C than Lias and Howden. I’m excluding Chytil because I think he’ll stick as a W long term, and honestly, so might Lias. If I had to rank those Cs, I’d go Cozens, Zegras, Dach, and Turcotte. Zegras has been incredibly impressive this season, and you’ll see him skyrocket up rankings after the WJC. Turcotte will fall because of the injury issues, but he’ll make whatever team drafts him happy when he, Miller, and Cole Caufield absolutely torch teams on Wisconsin next year.

Not to play "straw man"(whatever the f*** that means) but are you sure about that?

Brady Tkachuk. For some reason, he is a very polarizing figure on this board. They wouldn't take him if the Tkachuk dropped to 9th last year. Look at his season so far. Tkachuk is right up there with EP. Tkachuk would have looked really good in this uniform but there was a huge disagreement by some if the kid was a player. Him and his brother are both excellent players.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It’s just as reasonable an opinion. No one can tell what any of these players - the rookies, I mean - will be. They’re all works-in-progress. It’s up to them and the coaches, I guess. We have seen glimpses. But it’s all still tbd how it all comes together. We’re all hoping for the best. It’s possible Chytil remains at center.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not to play "straw man"(whatever the **** that means) but are you sure about that?

Brady Tkachuk. For some reason, he is a very polarizing figure on this board. They wouldn't take him if the Tkachuk dropped to 9th last year. Look at his season so far. Tkachuk is right up there with EP. Tkachuk would have looked really good in this uniform but there was a huge disagreement by some if the kid was a player. Him and his brother are both excellent players.

I'd bet you good money that those opinions would evaporate once more people saw Tkachuk- hell, it's been the same exact thing with Kravtsov outside of the few people who knew who he was before the draft. I was one of the people that was super high on Brady and constantly had to repeat that his playmaking and skill was being severely underrated, on top of him having that unique skilled power forward game. Another issues people had was who they'd take Tkachuk over if we got in the lottery, which is a bit more understandable when you're looking at a guy like Zadina or Quinn Hughes still being on the board.

The other issue that people want these players, but no one wants to be Ottawa-esque in acquiring them. The Rangers are already not a good team this season, but their bright spot has been being carried by their younger core. It's still very probable that they hit a snag and drop to the bottom of the conference, but at least the play of the young guys and younger vets like Chytil, Howden, ADA, Pionk, Mika, Buch, and Kreider bodes well moving forward. I don't think there was ever a real way to be totally bad this year and then have Quinn magically turn all of these guys around in 19-20.

Edit: I didn't see your post in the tanking thread, but you touched on what I mentioned in the last paragraph. The standings are so bunched together and one losing streak has them out of it. Micah McCurdy also posts his points projections fairly regularly, and they always have us in some range of a bottom-10 finish.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

He very well could be. While I definitely lean toward wing, I think it’s still TBD.

That’s one of things I point to in the Kevin Hayes conversations. But that aside, I’d like to really see what we have in Chytil, as well as Andersson and Howden.

It feels like we’ve been talking about them forever, but none of them are even half way into a full NHL season. In some cases, not even a full pro season.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'd bet you good money that those opinions would evaporate once more people saw Tkachuk- hell, it's been the same exact thing with Kravtsov outside of the few people who knew who he was before the draft. I was one of the people that was super high on Brady and constantly had to repeat that his playmaking and skill was being severely underrated, on top of him having that unique skilled power forward game. Another issues people had was who they'd take Tkachuk over if we got in the lottery, which is a bit more understandable when you're looking at a guy like Zadina or Quinn Hughes still being on the board.

The other issue that people want these players, but no one wants to be Ottawa-esque in acquiring them. The Rangers are already not a good team this season, but their bright spot has been being carried by their younger core. It's still very probable that they hit a snag and drop to the bottom of the conference, but at least the play of the young guys and younger vets like Chytil, Howden, ADA, Pionk, Mika, Buch, and Kreider bodes well moving forward. I don't think there was ever a real way to be totally bad this year and then have Quinn magically turn all of these guys around in 19-20.

Edit: I didn't see your post in the tanking thread, but you touched on what I mentioned in the last paragraph. The standings are so bunched together and one losing streak has them out of it. Micah McCurdy also posts his points projections fairly regularly, and they always have us in some range of a bottom-10 finish.

The Rangers have played 5 more games at home than on the road. Five of those road games were against the Metro. They are 1-4 with the only win being the shootout in Columbus. Regression is coming.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Rangers have played 5 more games at home than on the road. Five of those road games were against the Metro. They are 1-4 with the only win being the shootout in Columbus. Regression is coming.
You’re preaching to the choir, partner.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For real. GK is practically a saint in these parts.

Maybe, but I don’t see it.

I think he’s pretty damn dynamic on the wing. I’m sure he’ll get more ice time in the middle as the season progresses but he’s got a long term spot here on the wing.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

I think he’s pretty damn dynamic on the wing. I’m sure he’ll get more ice time in the middle as the season progresses but he’s got a long term spot here on the wing.

yes.

he looks pretty good on the edge. not ruling out a move to the middle if its there after a move is made but for now, let him continue to profit on the edge using his speed and ability to get to the net.

i do like his playmaking ability though which lends itself to the middle more imo.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

That’s how I see it. With Chytil and Kravtsov, you have RW locked down for years to come. Go get one of the many high end centers in the upcoming draft, get lucky and also add a Podkolzin or Boldy, then lock up Kreider and you’re damn near close to done building your forward group.

Reactions: cheech70

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That’s how I see it. With Chytil and Kravtsov, you have RW locked down for years to come. Go get one of the many high end centers in the upcoming draft, get lucky and also add a Podkolzin or Boldy, then lock up Kreider and you’re damn near close to done building your forward group.
If you end up with two of Podkolzin or Boldy & Turcotte or Newhook, then you have had quite a draft. For that to occur, you need one pick in the top 7 and the other one in the 12-15 range.

Then again, there's that Byram character...........With him and Miller, along with the others, you can have your D locked down for years to come. Along with a certain Russian goalie.....

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If you end up with two of Podkolzin or Boldy & Turcotte or Newhook, then you have had quite a draft. For that to occur, you need one pick in the top 7 and the other one in the 12-15 range.

Then again, there's that Byram character...........With him and Miller, along with the others, you can have your D locked down for years to come. Along with a certain Russian goalie.....

we'd be stacked on the left side and still have pionk playing 26 minutes a night on the right lol

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
we'd be stacked on the left side and still have pionk playing 26 minutes a night on the right lol
Yes, but for a second let's play the pretend game and have both of those players live up to their billings. You would have one of them out there virtually all game long. Not an apt. comparison because people will only remember Redden for when he was here, but Ottawa's back end had Chara or an in prime-Redden out at all times and they were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad