Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Cwede: Toninato is definitely a candidate. The Rangers would be familiar with him having scouted and signed Pionk and Kotyk for Hartford. Sounds like he is a solid bottom six type player. Here is a story about his situation.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23...-in-leafs-prospect-toninato-who-could-go-ufa/

The other two NCAA August 15 possible free agents are D. Will Butcher of Denver and F. Alex Kerfoot of Harvard.

When you look at the Rangers contract situation right now including signing their four RFAs, they almost certainly will sign a veteran goalie to play in Hartford with either Nell or Halverson and they likely will sign two forwards one of which could be a prospect. The most likely candidates for a prospect signing would be Vladimir Tkachyov or Torninator. sounds like Kerfoot is headed to western Canada. These 3 signings ( goalie and 2 forwards) would bring them to 48 contracts going into the season.

moving this comment here, where it better belongs,
from the Poll thread,
would be curious thoughts re Toninato,
maybe he's been discussed here already, i dont visit here much

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Since Dahlin is a D, and a bit of an unprecedented talent, I fully agree that it's a bit too early to tell.

But by my account he is looking like a McDavid or Crosby on D and as such -- a generational talent -- should be a lock to go FOA if you had to make the decision today. Svech is great, but more of a Yasin than Crosby if you get what I mean. He is the best Swedish 16 y/o / young 17 y/o ever and it's not really close.

16 y/o in the SHL looks like really raw kids playing among men without exception pre Dahlin. This is what he is doing offensively:

And there are just as many defensive plays that can be highlighted. Sometimes he struggled defensively because he literary skates too fast. He hustles to recover and then just blows past the attacker and have to take a big long turn the other way to let the forward come in on him closing the gap. Very good hip checker.

I for example like Brännström a lot, think Vegas made a good pick on him, we have all seen the amazing footage of him from the U18 WJCs. In comparision, as an 18 y/o in the SHL Brännström is a real tweeter, like most prospects his age in the SHL. Dahlin hits the ice as a somewhat young 16 y/o and just skates one notch faster than anyone else, seems like he has a gear nobody else have. Never seen anything even remotely like that, and this is definitely an area I've followed closely for a good 20 years.

But since so much can happen at this age, there are few comparisions, Svech being a super good prospect albeit not a generational talent like Corsby/McDavid, a lot can of course happen. But when closing the books on this year I think you got to have Dahlin No 1.

I'm not saying that Dahlin isn't a great prospect. I'm just saying that there are some perspectives that need to be considered at said draft spot with how Dahlin/Svechnikov progress. Both are elite talents, for sure. It'll be interesting to see them duke it out this year for the top spot.

As for Brannstrom, sucks NYR wasn't able to select him at the draft. Supposedly, spun heads at Vegas development camp....

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As of right now, I think Dahlin is heading into next season as the clearly frontrunner for the first pick. When you look at where he is, considering the position he plays, it's beyond impressive.

I like Svechnikov a lot, and I think he's got a shot to be a heck of a player for a very long time, but Dahlen looked scary good by NHL standards this last season, and he's still a year away from being able to play in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yup, we need a starter for Hartford. I don't know if he's good enough, but I'd bring him over. He's probably better than Halverson.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He has pretty darn good numbers in Liiga, should in theory be a decent enough starter in the AHL, with some upside to boot, i like it.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Over the last few years the Rangers have had 5 goalies on an NHL contract. Lundquist, his backup, a veteran in Hartford who can play in the NHL in an emergency, and two prospects. If the Rangers stay with this structure, and they may not, they are looking for someone with some experience to fill the last goalie position. Malcolm Hedberg the last two years, Cedric DeJardins the previous two years played those roles. Perhaps they feel that Gerogiev has the experience they are looking for and can play that number 3 role particularly after seeing him in camp. Or maybe they were impressed enough in camp to want to sign him as a 3rd prospect goalie. I defer to those of you who have seen him play. I only point out that I think the Rangers may still be looking for a veteran for Hartford who can come up in a pinch.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He is also playing for one of the best teams in Liiga, with a great defense.

His numbers were solid 15/16 aswell and TPS wasn't one of the best teams that season, maybe him playing even better was one of the reasons they jumped up the table? :)

Gotta remember that he's still very young, he had a good season no matter how you spin it :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His numbers were solid 15/16 aswell and TPS wasn't one of the best teams that season, maybe him playing even better was one of the reasons they jumped up the table? :)

Gotta remember that he's still very young, he had a good season no matter how you spin it :)

Younger, stronger, better, build, build, build?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
As of right now, I think Dahlin is heading into next season as the clearly frontrunner for the first pick. When you look at where he is, considering the position he plays, it's beyond impressive.

I like Svechnikov a lot, and I think he's got a shot to be a heck of a player for a very long time, but Dahlen looked scary good by NHL standards this last season, and he's still a year away from being able to play in the league.

I think he's in the very special category. Regardless of position... I've never seen a defenseman like him at 16.

He's only going to get better... it's like watching Neidermayer with filthy dangles and creativity. It's like it's a video game to him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think he's in the very special category. Regardless of position... I've never seen a defenseman like him at 16.

He's only going to get better... it's like watching Neidermayer with filthy dangles and creativity. It's like it's a video game to him.

Everything he does is so fast. I've seen it mentioned before that, if anything, he needs to slow it down a little. I think that's spot-on.

As this kid matures, he has a shot to be scary good.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Over the last few years the Rangers have had 5 goalies on an NHL contract. Lundquist, his backup, a veteran in Hartford who can play in the NHL in an emergency, and two prospects. If the Rangers stay with this structure, and they may not, they are looking for someone with some experience to fill the last goalie position. Malcolm Hedberg the last two years, Cedric DeJardins the previous two years played those roles. Perhaps they feel that Gerogiev has the experience they are looking for and can play that number 3 role particularly after seeing him in camp. Or maybe they were impressed enough in camp to want to sign him as a 3rd prospect goalie. I defer to those of you who have seen him play. I only point out that I think the Rangers may still be looking for a veteran for Hartford who can come up in a pinch.

Jeff Malcolm could still be in the mix. Rumored to have discussed staying with Hartford on an AHL deal.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Everything he does is so fast. I've seen it mentioned before that, if anything, he needs to slow it down a little. I think that's spot-on.

As this kid matures, he has a shot to be scary good.

Yeah I think he's in line to be the next in the Generational bracket. You take that speed and ability on smaller ice... it's something that any team would hate facing.

There are maybe three-four defensemen that teams gameplan for specifically in the league now: Burns, Karlsson, Hedman, and Playoff Drew Doughty... they'll do so with Dahlin before he turns 20.

Defensemen are so structured these days that only a few are considered gamebreakers. Getting a gamebreaker with no 1 pick is what you aim for.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I doubt we'll be on his list of potential teams given how we've re-stocked our D this past year, but you never know, NYC does things to players :P

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
put this at Roster Building but maybe it really belongs here
curious your thoughts on "the other 16"

with Aug 1 this Tuesday, meaning Aug 15 getting close,
here is the HFB listing of pending NCAA UFAs
I removed guys who have signed AHL/ECHL deals

Toninato has been discussed here already,
IMHO he is promising, and a good fit as a C and playing all round top 3 F minutes at Duluth last 2 years
Maybe joining Pionk and Kotyk gives NYR an edge

curious if you guys have insights into any of the others, beyond the commonly discussed Butcher, Kerfoot and Toninato

if the chart UNSIGNED NCAA PLAYERS is fully up-to-date
at
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=122654931&postcount=2

then there are 19 guys becoming UFA Aug 15

UNSIGNED NCAA PLAYERS (Must be Signed by July 1st)
TEAM NAME POS AGE HEIGHT WEIGHT TEAM LEAGUE YR RD OV NOTES
CAR Olson, Collin G 23 6.04 209 Western Michigan NCAA 2012 6 159
DET McKee, Mike D 23 6.05 249 Western Michigan NCAA 2012 5 140
SJS Watson, Cliff D 23 6.02 190 Michigan Tech NCAA 2012 6 168
ARI Clifton, Connor D 22 5.11 194 Quinnipiac NCAA 2013 5 133
COL Butcher, Will D 22 5.10 190 Denver NCAA 2013 5 123
MIN De Jong, Nolan D 22 6.02 203 Michigan NCAA 2013 7 197
NYI Somerby, Doyle D 22 6.05 225 Boston University NCAA 2012 5 125
SJS Ausmus, Gage D 22 6.01 216 North Dakota NCAA 2013 5 151
ARI Soleway, Jedd C 23 6.03 220 Wisconsin NCAA 2013 7 193
CBJ Quenneville, Peter C 23 5.11 192 Aalborg Denmark 2013 7 195
NAS Stepan, Zach C 23 6.00 174 Minnesota-Mankato NCAA 2012 4 112
OTT Baillargeon, Robbie C 23 6.00 165 Arizona State NCAA 2012 5 136
TOR Toninato, Dominic C 23 6.02 194 Minnesota-Duluth NCAA 2012 5 126
NJD Kerfoot, Alex C 22 5.10 174 Harvard NCAA 2012 5 150
PIT Byron, Blaine C 22 6.00 172 Maine NCAA 2013 6 179
DET De Haas, James D 23 6.03 216 Clarkson NCAA 2012 6 170
CAR Collier, Brendan LW 23 5.09 176 Northeastern NCAA 2012 7 189
ANA Besse, Grant LW 22 5.10 174 Wisconsin NCAA 2013 5 147
CHI Calnan, Chris RW 23 6.02 203 Boston College NCAA 2012 3 79

Last edited:

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
This from Dobber Prospects on U. Maine center Blaine Byron:

June 2017 – After concluding his four years at the U of Maine with impressive senior stats of 18 goals and 41 points in 36 games, Byron is expected to spurn any contract offers from the Penguins and head to the free-agent market a la Jimmy Vesey. Media speculation centers on Pittsburgh’s recent signing of high-scoring free-agent forward Zach Aston-Reese for Byron’s reluctance to join the Penguins. The 22-year-old might also be looking more broadly at the organization’s startling depth of skilled young forwards and deciding he has a shorter road to the NHL with another franchise. Mark Allan

Not sure Byron would look at the Rangers recent draft of two centers in the first round as very encouraging to him.

put this at Roster Building but maybe it really belongs here
curious your thoughts on "the other 16"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad