Draft Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Posted this in the around the NHL thread but may as well post here as well.

On 31T today, Marek says Ottawa is between Sanderson/Quinn/Askarov at #5.

Elliotte says Askarov is in play for NJD at 7 as well.

I don't want Ottawa to reach for Quinn at 5...............because I want the Devil's to reach for him at 7

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Askarov going earlier could change the forward landscape a bit. It also could impact teams that had no chance on him, such as Chicago. They're not moving from 17 to 5 or 7, and suddenly the option to leapfrog a few spots is off the table. Do they look to trade down in that scenario?

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ

Does this mean they’re not looking at Drysdale? I imagine he’d be picked before Sanderson, no?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Does this mean they’re not looking at Drysdale? I imagine he’d be picked before Sanderson, no?

both guys are ranked pretty similar but I would have expected the sens to be after drysdale first cause Chabot is a lefty and they could be a future pair.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Drysdale is an interesting spot. There are some people who think Sanderson is better, and some who think Guhle has the potential to be more dynamic with time.

He's steady and to some extent that could hurt him if teams opt for sexier options.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Everyone is mocking Stützle/Byfield at 3 and Raymond at 5 to Ottawa, but it would make more sense for them to target a Sanderson/Drysdale or even Askarov with that 2nd pick. They have a pretty good prospect core of forwards but lack everywhere else especially in net

Reactions: bl02

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Drysdale is an interesting spot. There are some people who think Sanderson is better, and some who think Guhle has the potential to be more dynamic with time.

He's steady and to some extent that could hurt him if teams opt for sexier options.
I’ve read that Ottawa has a lot of young right defensemen coming (Zub, Thomson, Brannstrom) which may factor into them favoring a left shot (Sanderson)

Reactions: Joey Bones

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

We have to find a way to move up. We could get such a steal at 8-10.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Some breaking news on Justin Barron

Justin Barron Out Indefinitely – Halifax Mooseheads

This may involve some type of stent being placed to address Barron’s blood clot situation.

I’m not sure how it will affect his draft position.

Apparently, this is a shoulder issue he is having addressed; a previously scheduled followup from last year's blood clot issue.

Hear is the full article:

Mooseheads' Barron has minor corrective procedure on shoulder | The Chronicle Herald

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Ottawa isn’t going to take Quinn at 5

I think they’ll take Sanderson, he would make a nice top pairing with Chabot

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm always surprised how people think that if a player falls to a certain spot that suddenly means it'll be easier for a team to trade up to try to get a pick to grab that player. If the guy drops into a lap of another team that they don't expect is going to be there then why would that team trade out of the spot? If anything their pick becomes even more valuable and less likely to be traded if a better player is there than what they actually expected would be there.

Also, anyone watching the game tonight see they flashed Mackenzie's cumulative ratings and had byfield at 3?

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
quinn at 5 would definitely be a shock...aside from the arguments that they need a dman so taking a forward and a d makes more sense. if they opted for 2 forwards why would you take quinn over rossi/perfetti/raymond

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I feel like the people who like Quinn REALLY like Quinn.

The Black Book really liked Quinn---they see him as a goal scorer with a 200' all situations game. I think you could arguably take him over someone like Raymond like you could arguably take Sanderson over Drysdale. I also don't think it's a big deal if someone takes Quinn early because I don't think he or Lundell are going to get anywhere near us or even at our potential moving up spot at 17.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
the dangers of trading down

I just don't know if I see the Rangers trading down, not with their being guys on the board they like.

They might not have their choice of several of them, but the odds of their not being anyone they like is pretty slim.

I think they stick with their usual routine of getting their guy, trading up if they have to, and calling it a day.

If there is overlap from last year's approach, I think the Rangers are more content to get 2 or 3 guys they really like than 4 or 5 guys they like a bit less.

Be it somone we've talked about, or a mystery candidate, I think they're likely to have someone they think highly of - especially in a draft as varied and opinionated as this.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers are in a good spot as far as quantity of very good to excellent to elite prospects. There are guys in the 2nd you might want to take a shot at but all the same we've got quantity so if there is a guy that stands out when it comes our turn at 22 we should just take him.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think Quinn is top 10 in this years draft. 5 is a tad high, but it’s certainly possible.

Can’t wait for the draft.

Totally bummed that I won’t be road tripping to the Bell center to watch it live. Damn Pandemic! Would have been an amazing experience for any NYR fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad