HF Habs: Draft 2018: What are your immediate draft class feelings?

What grade would you give the Habs 2018 draft selections

• A+

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • A-

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • B+

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • C+

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • D

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
No, you're wrong. They drafted best value available. And time will show this.

Timmins is quoted as saying he goes for BVA, not BPA.

And everyone knew Brady was one of the most NHL ready of the bunch. Chances he'll plateau sooner, and his position is not as demanding in terms of adaptation and development as for a centerman or defenseman.

You may be right, but Timmins value approach has many holes in it. Romanov , for example, was nothing but an ego pick, in my mind. I still haven't figured out of JK is a setup guy, or a shooter.. and with Gallagher, Domi, Tatar we need shooters the next few years, no matter what the position.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
To those serving crow 25 games in an entire draft class, raise of hands those who watched him at BU?

I personally still had him top 10, albeit at the tail end of it, but wouldn't be shoving any player in anyone's face at this point of a draft class. For all we know one or more of Boqvist, Hughes, Smith, Alexeyev become stud #1 Ds. It took Hedman 5 years to be the player he became. Pettersson was the best player of his class not until a year after.
No he has 16 points in 14 games. Case closed. We should've taken him at #3.

Reactions: G0bias

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
No he has 16 points in 14 games. Case closed. We should've taken him at #3.

Not sure if you are being serious, but he's also shooting 20% on the most run and gun team in the league.

Looks great, I had him at #4, though with doubts about his offensive upside. Clearly showing me wrong there.

But let's temper the hyperbolic statements ~6 months after these guys start their pro careers.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Not sure if you are being serious, but he's also shooting 20% on the most run and gun team in the league.

Looks great, I had him at #4, though with doubts about his offensive upside. Clearly showing me wrong there.

But let's temper the hyperbolic statements ~6 months after these guys start their pro careers.
I was kidding.:laugh:

I had Tkachuk in that group between 8-13. He is playing better than I expected offensively but I'm not ready to say I was completely wrong until I see the others develop.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
My bad. He is definitely looking much better than I thought he'd be, at this point. Happy to admit that much

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tkachuk did not exactly burn up the NCAA in his first year but he looks pretty damn good in the NHL.
The kid can also throw em like his dad. Ottawa got a nice player on their hands

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My list was:
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Kotkaniemi
4. Hughes
5. Wahlstrom
6. Tkachuk
7. Dobson
8. Boqvist
9. Smith
10. Zadina

I was never and I'm still not sold on Zadina. I loved Tkachuk but I thought he was not a difference maker but more a complimentary piece. Boy that is looking so wrong right now.

On a sidenote, what the hell happened to Wahlstrom? I watched many games of him last year with u18 and he was dominant and physical. I don't know about each prospect personality and attitude but Wahlstrom while surely talented must have a lack of dedication.

Anyway if I was to re-do the ranking wahlstrom would be out and Tkachuk would challenge Dahlin for 1st overall.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I really dont get people who said Brady Tkachuk has a low-ceiling. Imagine a Gallagher with size and better offensive tools. That's elite. Obviously early to call him an elite player though, he needs to keep it up. But it's scary to think he could be better than his bro because Matthew is a terrific hockey player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really dont get people who said Brady Tkachuk has a low-ceiling. Imagine a Gallagher with size and better offensive tools. That's elite. Obviously early to call him an elite player though, he needs to keep it up. But it's scary to think he could be better than his bro because Matthew is a terrific hockey player.
What tools exactly are better than Gallagher? He surely doesn't shoot the puck better than Gallagher, he's surely not more elusive than Gallagher.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
What tools exactly are better than Gallagher? He surely doesn't shoot the puck better than Gallagher, he's surely not more elusive than Gallagher.
Tkachuck is only 18 though and his brother said that Brady is a better player than him, so that's that. I would take Brady over Gallagher anytime, he's exactly what this team needs.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Not better than actual Gallagher but better at the same age. BG is a 6 year vet now. Tkachuk at 18 vs Gallagher at 18 is a better passer, has a better vision, better hands and better puck control and will continue to improve in this department. He's also bigger and stronger and will do more damage when battling for the puck may it be in the corners or in front of the net. And he has 9 goals in his rookie season so far to Gally's 11 in his 7th season... To put things in perspective : Brady Tkachuk needs 12 points (6G + 6A) in the next 30 games to match Gally's 28 in 44 rookie season, which was his draft+3 year... So even if his pace drops a lot he'll probably eclipse Gally's rookie numbers.

Gallagher's got a pretty good wrister, ok. More elusive, I agree. I love Gallagher and wish he was the captain and a Hab for life. But Tkachuk's a way better talent. More complete in his offensive game for sure.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Both Brady and Kotka are doing well, Kotka has a bigger sample size tho: (Brady is also getting a lot of D-Zone starts which is very impressive for an 18 y.o)

w2XX4GS.png

Dahlin is also doing well:

UjeGGkW.png

So is Svechnikov:

ffjZkMe.png

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
There were a lot of Habs posters who thought picking Tkachuk would've been disastrous. Many felt the same about Kotkaniemi despite our desperate need at C. "YOU DON'T PICK FOR NEED!", they said.

Reactions: Astormynight

Jul 6, 2016
I think Habs were drafting at the very worst position at the last draft. Of course drafting 20th-30th seems worst, but the Habs had too many options, and was the team most likely to chose the wrong one. Of course, Arizona's pick was puzzling and created opportunities for the teams drafting after them.

For Buffalo and Carolina is was a no brainer, even if we can argue that Tkachuck will be better than Svechnikov. Habs had to chose ONE between Kotkaniemi, Tkachuck, Zadina and Hughes. They went for their needs knowing they had next to nothing in the pipeline (yet)at centre, and not knowing at all that Domi could do the job. Poehling is 2 seasons away and Suzuki was not yet in the plan at all.

IF Habs picked Tkatchuk, Ottawa takes Zadina or Hughes. Arizona wanted a centerman as well. Kotkaniemi would had been their pick.

We have to be patient with Kotkaniemi. He has to fill up his body, get used to harsh calendars, and so on.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Jul 6, 2016
Almost every expert said Tkachuk as the most NHL ready prospect. Not surprised he's started out strong. It's not about who is better in their rookie season guys come on.

He is more than NHL ready. He is already an effective top line player.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad