Draft 2006 (players you want and don't want)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Garp, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Garp

Garp Registered User

Taking in cosideration your favorite team's drafting range, pick players you'd draft and players you wouldn't.

For the habs:

Drafting range: 12-18

I'd like:

Nigel Williams: We need a good D prospect and Williams iss exactly what the habs are looking for. A 2 way Dman with the potential to become a 1rst pairing dman.

Derrick Brassard: A speedy skilled center (our other problem). And he plays well with Latendresse.

James Sheppard: Could (I hope) slip to us. A big center with skills and a good 2-way game. Reminds me of Ryan O'mara but with more offensive upside.

Ty Wishart: A big defensive dman with some potential. A risky pick but could become a valuable player.

I don't want:

Bobby Snaguinetti: I only saw him two times but I have a bad felling about this guy. He's too soft and from what I saw he doesn't take good decision defensively (Williams is in the same boat, but I think that he has more tools than Sanguinetti) Reminds me a lot of Hainsey...

Kyle Okospo: I don't really hate this gy, but I don't think that he could become more than a good 3rd line checker in the Nhl and we already drafted Chipchura...

2. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

Pittsburgh has almost pencilled in Johnson or Kessel. Now watch them go on a tear again this year like they did in 2003-4 the last 20 games. That said they could win all 20 and still pick top five, so if not Johnson/Kessel then one of the six or seven other top center prospects and move them to wing.

3. I don't follow too many prospecs but I have Jordan Staal on my radar.

A player I don't want is that Jesse Joenssu(sp?), has not impressed me at all.

4. Chrisd

Chrisd Registered User

Players i want for the wild...in the 10-14 range..

Bryan Little
    Kyle Okposo
    Derrick Brassard
    James Sheppard

5. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

JORDAN STAAL

I also like Michal Frolik.

6. Metallian*

Metallian* Registered User

Frolik, Backstrom, & Meuller

for the Leafs, depending where we draft

7. I hope backstrom falls to the mid teens..

8. like it or not, Canucks will end up making a "safe" pick and draft some dude that have good speed and size. Skill dont matter to em.

9. Birko19

Birko19 Registered User

Home Page:
    As a realistic Red Wing fan, I realize that if Detroit keeps its pick it'll probably be somwhere around 25-30 and most likely 28-30.

If that's the case I'm willing to take a high risk on a guy that was hyped a year or so ago, perhaps a player like Vasyunov or Joenssu, I would also draft Frolik in a hearbeat if he ever fell that far but who am I kidding? Frolik will not go lower then 15th.

10. Alessandro Seren Rosso

Alessandro Seren Rosso Registered User

Home Page:
  11. Bubbles

Bubbles Tank for Tyler2016

Unfortunately, you are right. :( Which sucks because we finally have good depth in D and G and could use a highly skilled forward.

12. Belizarius

Belizarius Registered User

Working in a library
    Home Page:
    For NJ, d-men...
    I hope Williams, Wishart, Corrente, Carle, DeGray in 1st or 2nd round.

13. FOr the Habs: Out of those four the only one that may still be on the board at around #16-18 is Wishart. Then we are looking at a guy who is 5 years away from the NHL and then a Brendan Witt clone. This draft is really weak after pick 7-8th overall.

Habs should deal a prospect, their #1 pick and a player and move up and try and hit the jackpot. If they can't....this is how I would try and pick if I was them;

1 st round - Wishart
    2 nd round - Hillier
    3 rd round - Giroux

14. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Not draft eligible, but I really would like the avs to sign Gabe Gauthier out of Denver at the conclusion of the NCAA season. Plays D and scores in the clutch. His downside is a useful farmhand.

15. BuppY

BuppY xGoodwillx

Home Page:
    For the Leafs 8-16
    Frolik
    Backstrom
    Little
    Brassard
    Mueller

16. J17 Vs Proclamation

J17 Vs Proclamation Registered User

College baby!
    Panthers 6-12

Players we do want :

Jordan Staal, has huge upsides, and if turns out anywhere near his brothers standard (he is better than Eric was at this point in their careers). He is a longterm project but will end up a top 5 player from this draft.
    Michael Frolik, has upsides similar to Kessel, and will fall luckily for us, he was projected the 2nd overall pick before the start of the season. People only look at his stats and are really misjudged about his perfomances this year. Half the posters on this board are ******s just based on how Frolik has fallen below guys like Little.
    Backstrom is great offensively, a safer pick than Kessel or Frolik. I doubt he falls to #6 though.
    Williams would be great, huge Dman with offensive abilities. I think he will be the secondbest Dman in the draft after EJ and with the panthers lack of prospects (especially on D) he could really help the system.

Players i dont want :

Toews, doubt he fall to us but i think he is overated. Limited upsides compared to guys ranked below him, safe pick but will never be a star. Kinda guy who will be a great leader, but the panthers have plenty of young guys with potential leadership qualities, and we need offensive dynamites.
    Mueller, i think he will be good but from what i know his upsides offensively are less than Staal, Frolik or a Backstrom and thats one of the panthers main needs.

17. bulat_faikov

bulat_faikov Registered User

I don't agree with that, I think the Canucks have changed their philosophy. I've seen that from the way they pick players in the last 2 drafts and more particularlly in the lower rounds. Luc Bourdon, Mason Raymond, Alexander Edler, Alexandre Vincent, Jannick Hanssen and Cory Schneider were not considered safe pick IMO. I think the Canucks drafted safe pick players or two-way guys because that's what they really wanted to have thinking their first 2 lines were set at the time (Naslund's line and the Sedin's line). Now IMO they draft more for the future as they don't have direct needs they can adress trough the draft, which means they can draft the BPA.

As for the players I want or don't want... If I was to make the Canucks GM, I'd take the homerun chance if we draft later in the first round. Or I would definetely go for a trade and try to snap a guy like Brassard or Sheppard (which I like a lot) deppending on the price to pay.

18. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

Jackets somewhere in the 4 - 8 range.

Assuming no trades up to nab EJ/Kessel then Mueller/Staal for me.

19. Bruins: 8-14

Want:
    James Sheppard
    Nicklas Backstrom
    Bryan Little

Don't want:
    Vasyunov
    Nigel Williams

20. Chaos

Chaos And the winner is...

Home Page:
    Assuming the Stars pick at the end of the first round(25-30), I want them to go after the best offensive talent on the board, like Vasyunov. However, knowing the Stars, they will trade down and pick up a gritty 2-way player, and then steal some guy from Finland in the later rounds.

21. hfboardsuser

hfboardsuser Registered User

The Oilers need an top-2 offensive defenseman, and drafting anywhere from 12-20, they'll have a few options:

1. Sanguientti
    2. Vishnevskiy
    3. Shutron
    4 .Ruzicka
    5. Dowzak

I'd personally be happy with any of them, but only if the the player(s) ranked above them in that list are gone by the time the Oilers pick.

Another major need is skilled wingers. I expect Zharkov to be available by the time the Oilers pick, and I'd really like to have him.

In terms of players to avoid like the plague, Joensuu and Vasyunov are the usual suspects, but there's really no one else I'd not want to see get a chance- outside the first round.

22. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy

I want to see Jordan Staal go to Washington so that he can centre Ovechkin and play often against his brothers in the Eastern Conference (Eric in the Southwest Division, in particular)

23. bigd

bigd Registered User

Dowzak? Are you serious :D

24. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

As an Islander fan, in order I'd want -

Staal
    Backstrom
    Brassard
    Mueller
    Sheppard

25. Jori

Jori Registered User

Home Page:
    What he said...

I figure the Avs will be between the high teens to mid 20s. The Avs big weakness in their farm system is defense. I don't follow the draft close enough...can anybody offer suggestions on potential dmen who would be available towards the bottom third of the first round?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.