Draft #12 - Brendan Perlini

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
True. Didn't experience the cool off though.

Hilarious, by the way, that his dad played a handful of NHL games. Technically speaking, he's the latest of Murphy, Samuelsson, and Domi who had fathers who played in the NHL.

After this Ribs fiasco who can blame Don.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
And his father absolutely tore it up in the British Hockey League. Just ridiculous numbers.

1986-87 - 35 games, 103 goals, 69 assists, 171 points

He had about 10 seasons with numbers like this lol.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
My take is Physically gifted goal scorer. Not fancy but has good drive. Really good shot. My thought for comparable player is Brent Burns.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Now don't jump down my throat here, but he reminds me of Evgeni Malkin. Obviously, he's not Malkin and most likely never will be, but his size, his stride, and his shot. His shot is ****ing money. He was also rated as one of the fastest players in the draft, so we won't see that hulking, sluggish Pyatt/Hanzal style skating

His **** and speed were both rated 5 out of 5.

The only knock I really see at this point is that he's not creative, doesn't look like he can deke much at all.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
And his father absolutely tore it up in the British Hockey League. Just ridiculous numbers.

1986-87 - 35 games, 103 goals, 69 assists, 171 points

He had about 10 seasons with numbers like this lol.

Lots of players had numbers like that in the BHL in the 80s, and they weren't all the Canadians, Tony Hand had 200 point seasons multiple times, the goaltending and defense was just awful back then

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I think it's slightly harsh to label one season of success as a red flag. His first year as a 16/17yo the team had Ryan Strome, Dougie Hamilton and Bryan Ritchie.. these 18-20yo's were getting the ice time.
Dougie Hamilton plays defense, no? Understand that kids grow up quickly, and that Perlini is on the young end of this draft class, but Domi and Gormley both had two very good CHL seasons before the draft. Then again, Murphy and OEL didn't, and Samuelsson's pre-draft career was somewhere in between. We'll see, and the other intangibles certainly suggest Perlini will continue to improve. It's just that in a vacuum, you'd prefer a kid to have two very solid seasons of development hockey instead of one.
Hilarious, by the way, that his dad played a handful of NHL games. Technically speaking, he's the latest of Murphy, Samuelsson, and Domi who had fathers who played in the NHL.
I ****ing love that about Perlini, and about this team's recent drafting history in general. Even Jedd Soleway's mom was a professional skating coach for a time. Kids that grew up around the pro game and (presumably) have a maturity about it and an understanding about it. I would never go so far as to say only draft kids like this, but it sure is an interesting social experiment that DM is running.
After this Ribs fiasco who can blame Don.
Turris is closer to your root cause than Ribeiro.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Watching the video, my thought is that he's Domi's future finisher. A great 1-2 punch? Both of them passing and scoring. I agree that it didn't show much decking but Tkachuk didn't deke much either. Not saying this kid will be scoring the same NHL numbers. Our possible new Roenick/Tkachuk? Keep in mind, I don't scout these guys like many of you so I could be way off.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Was a little Leary on this pick after reading everyone's comments. But after looking at his highlights , this guy brings to the table someone the Yotes haven't had in years... A guy who actually likes to shoot the puck . And is not afraid to do it .

Nothing is more frustrating to me than to watch our power play pass the pick around for 2 min and nobody takes a shot

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
From Craig Button on TSN,

"A big, strong, excellent skating winger with a great release on his shot that can beat goalies from 35 feet. His growth as a player has skyrocketed and with his skills, he has the potential to be an impact player who is difficult to negate."

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
My thoughts about Perlini going into the draft was Brett Connolly 2.0 but I'm hoping for much more now.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's interesting how many people have such definitive opinions on a guy who they've never seen play.

My friend who's a scout in the OHL had this to say to me in an email:

Brendan Perlini is a kid I wanted the London Knights to trade for at the deadline last season .
He has good size at 6-3 205 , physically he dosen't use his size to his advantage enough but when he does he makes things happen , he has skill galore , he has real good reach , can skate with the best of them , has a real good shot and is an excellent passer .
He reminds me of Jeff Carter but is faster , he could crack the Yotes lineup this year but I would give him one more year in junior , that would make him just that much more rounded player .
Again that's just my opinion , but I like this kid a lot

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's interesting how many people have such definitive opinions on a guy who they've never seen play.

Brendan Perlini is a kid I wanted the London Knights to trade for at the deadline last season .
He has good size at 6-3 205 , physically he dosen't use his size to his advantage enough but when he does he makes things happen , he has skill galore , he has real good reach , can skate with the best of them , has a real good shot and is an excellent passer .
He reminds me of Jeff Carter but is faster , he could crack the Yotes lineup this year but I would give him one more year in junior , that would make him just that much more rounded player .

I hope your friend is right.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Now don't jump down my throat here, but he reminds me of Evgeni Malkin. Obviously, he's not Malkin and most likely never will be, but his size, his stride, and his shot. His shot is ****ing money.

His **** and speed were both rated 5 out of 5. The only knock I really see at this point is that he's not creative, doesn't look like he can deke much at all.
I understand the first censored word, but what was the second one supposed to be???

He has good size at 6-3 205 , physically he dosen't use his size to his advantage enough [in Major Junior]but when he does he makes things happen , he has skill galore , he has real good reach , can skate with the best of them , has a real good shot and is an excellent passer .
He reminds me of Jeff Carter but is faster , he could crack [an NHL] lineup this year but I would give him one more year in junior , that would make him just that much more rounded player .
I have trouble using both bolded statements about the same person, but point taken. I hope your friend is right.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wanted a high motor puck hound. That's just symptomatic of the garbage effort our crappy roster demonstrated most games, last year. This is a problem that can be fixed on the bottom six/bottom pair at the NHL level. It's not a first round pick problem. Perlini was the number one forward I anted to steer clear of. Still, I knew I could get happy about the pick in one heck of a hurry. So many tools. So raw. Plenty of Ike to see what happens. Did we want a safe bet for 15 goals or a coin toss for 30 goals.

As a fan base we've *****ed and moaned for a home run swing many years in the past. We finally did swing for the fences and now we've got our **** in the twister over it. It's stupid.

Management is smart enough, and patient enough to separate current short comings for long term needs.

I'm happy. Good draft.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sounds kind of like Daze. Big, doesn't hit, but uses his size to advantage. Fast, and a great shot from anywhere.
Hopefully he's more durable... haha

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Apparently this guy was one of the fastest skaters in the draft. for 6'3 that's not too shabby at all. I like it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sounds kind of like Daze. Big, doesn't hit, but uses his size to advantage. Fast, and a great shot from anywhere.
Hopefully he's more durable... haha

Good call. His highlights look similar to how I remember Daze. I think Perlini is even a better skater, though. He could end up somewhere between Max Pacioretty and Benoit Pouliot. Brock Otten has compared his on ice "look" as similar to Jeff Carter in his OHL days.

rt

May 13, 2004
Apparently this guy was one of the fastest skaters in the draft. for 6'3 that's not too shabby at all. I like it.

Did we get official combine measurements on him. I'm thinking he's 6'3 with a little spare change. He looked taller than Sean Burke who was always listed at 6'4 in his playing days. Kid was towering over the whole staff. Not a bad sight to see, when you know that he's a top skater with a pro caliber shot.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Did we get official combine measurements on him. I'm thinking he's 6'3 with a little spare change. He looked taller than Sean Burke who was always listed at 6'4 in his playing days. Kid was towering over the whole staff. Not a bad sight to see, when you know that he's a top skater with a pro caliber shot.

Some scouting reviews say that he is NHL ready this season. Not that I want him to, but it's nice to know. You can never go wrong with a big, fast skating forward. This guys been compared to Jeff Carter.

Overall, I'm happy with this pick. The entire draft really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad