Draft #12 - Brendan Perlini

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
While Perlini’s potential as a sniper is most likely to entice teams, Niagara IceDogs assistant coach David Bell raved to Buzzing the Net about his interest in improving his all-around game.

“He has a pro approach,†Bell said. “He comes and asks about his improvements on the penalty kill and on his D zone. He knows he needs to work on his total package. A lot of guys, all they want to talk about is points. He’s not yet once come and asked, ‘let me see the goal I just scored.’ Rather, it’s ‘where should I have been on that goal against?’ or ‘where should I have been on that penalty kill?’ That’s what pros do.â€

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/get-to-know-a-draft-pick-brendan-perlini/

Hopefully he can be our JVR

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well,

Perlini has a very lightening quick release, which compliments the wrister he has.

He's a fast skater and definitely is faster than Pyatt.

I'm trying to warm up to the pick. :)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We need a #1 center in the worst way. We actually need a high #2 center in the worst way, because I'd say that Hanzal is a medium to low #2 and Vermette is a medium to low #2.

We're a hot mess right now.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Nashville is doing it right. We are doing it wrong. The main issue is this team has no depth beyond defense. We have no depth offensively and not enough depth to really trade.

We are treading water. The logical thing would be to tear it down and build a team around OEL and maybe Smith. Too bad we just can't risk it.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I just hope he's not another Hanzal. I mean I love Hanzal, but his point production is slowww. We only really need one big shut down forward and we're blessed to have Hanzal for that. If Perlini's speed and shot translate to the NHL level we could have one hell of a hockey player. If not, we have Taylor Pyatt.

St. Louis got the steal of the draft with Fabbri, in my opinion.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
IPreferPi said:
Ribeiro bought out, Maloney deciding to go with Perlini. I can kinda accept the former, but ugh at the latter. Ugh!

This was my initial reaction. Buuuuuuuut..... I didn't get to scout amateurs this year at all. Kids who come from nowhere and shoot up the charts in their draft year are usually huge red flags. Especially when they cool off at the end of the year. It's usually bad news. Sometiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes though, it's a huge homerun. If the kids I liked better went immediately after, I'd be angry. They didn't. They slipped faaar. As a result, I'm left to hope that an enourmous kid with frat skating and a great shot doesn't bust. That's okay. I said earlier this morning that he was on my do not draft list. I also said I could quickly change my mind due to general lack of knowledge. I'm there now. Fabbri is great. And tiny. So is Domi. Don't think we need two. I'm okay with this pick. I will be more so tomorrow. Crappy draft. Better reach. Said the same about Murphy. Crappy draft, better reach I will learn from my mistake about being crabby from the pick. This is a good hockey prospect. Glad we have him.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That's where I think we can.

I think we can 'tank' next season to get McDavid/Eichel and then everything changes because Domi will be a year older and more confident. Samuelsson will be with the big club and we can have a 3rd line featuring Korpi/Vermette/Lessio

Defense top 5 would be OEL/Yandle/Gormley/Murphy/Stone which is fantastic.

The real question is whether we can finish in the bottom 2 next season? THat's a big if given we have Tippett and he just doesn't lose often enough.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
That's where I think we can.

I think we can 'tank' next season to get McDavid/Eichel and then everything changes because Domi will be a year older and more confident. Samuelsson will be with the big club and we can have a 3rd line featuring Korpi/Vermette/Lessio

Defense top 5 would be OEL/Yandle/Gormley/Murphy/Stone which is fantastic.

The real question is whether we can finish in the bottom 2 next season? THat's a big if given we have Tippett and he just doesn't lose often enough.

You want McDavid? Or the team to be in Seattle? 5 year out clause man. We have to win to save our ***** or we're gone Atlanta Thrashers style.

Plus they are taking the "tanking" option out of the game next year. They are going to give every team that missed the playoffs a fair shot at number 1.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
But that is the thing, can we survive 1 year of complete suck-ta-tude to end up with someone that all hockey fans will come out and watch?

Having picked McDavid or Eichel and I'm sure we'd have 80% sell outs because they are that good and these are the types of picks that can turn franchises around immediately.

I think we can be crappy, and play an exciting brand of hockey and be ok...to land the big prize at the end of the journey.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm certainly more on board after watching all the video I could watch.

I'm just wondering why he had the slow end to the season...to me that is the red flag. But he does have a lot of potential...and his shot is unreal and he doesn't need a lot of time to get it off.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just hope he's not another Hanzal. I mean I love Hanzal, but his point production is slowww. We only really need one big shut down forward and we're blessed to have Hanzal for that. If Perlini's speed and shot translate to the NHL level we could have one hell of a hockey player. If not, we have Taylor Pyatt.

St. Louis got the steal of the draft with Fabbri, in my opinion.

The only comparable I can think of that had such a dramatic uptic is Benoit Pouliot. He didn't experience the drop, though. I will just be happy that those in the know, who have seen him a lot don't seem to discount him. Plus, my favorite kids after him dropped like crazy. I'm resigned to this. I'm good.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Another bright spot is that Niagara had a -61 goal differential this year as a team and Perlini only finished as a -2. That is pretty good.

I'm starting to like the pick more and more. Can't wait to see him at rookie camp!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm certainly more on board after watching all the video I could watch.

I'm just wondering why he had the slow end to the season...to me that is the red flag. But he does have a lot of potential...and his shot is unreal and he doesn't need a lot of time to get it off.

Sure knows how to put it in the corners of the net.

How was the team for the second half of the season? Who did he play with in the first half, and then in the second. Maloney made it clear he was willing to trade down. Kapanen and Fabbri were on the board and he didn't chose either. I think he is very high on Perlini. He seems like a raw talent right now. Could be an amazing Pker with a scoring upside, or an elite shot that plays 1st liner PP but 2nd line duties, or at best a little of both. He will be in juniors again, and we will have a better idea next year what his potential is. I think he has a higher ceiling than Kapanen and Mccan but a lower floor.

More excited about him after watching some video and hearing he wants to work on his all around game. Even more excited because many of the guys we all wanted to see around 12 feel about ten spots lower.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The kid says he can play center...if that is the case, I'm so on board with this pick.

From several sites, it says he's got great stick handling ability, so I guess a switch to center could be done...love to see it. It also says his "puck possession" is top notch, so again, I'm liking the pick more and more.

C'mon kid, work your arse off this summer and move to center and put up 40+ goals and 50+ assists :)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Big kid who can score and yet another kid whose dad played pro hockey.

Just one season of OHL success is a red flag, but I'm pretty optimistic.

Not just his dad, he comes from a hockey family which I've mentioned before. Brother, grandfather, uncle, cousins. You can certainly tell he's coachable from the interviews.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=706249

I think it's slightly harsh to label one season of success as a red flag. His first year as a 16/17yo the team had Ryan Strome, Dougie Hamilton and Bryan Ritchie.. these 18-20yo's were getting the ice time.

rt

May 13, 2004
Watching the highlights, I love the take it to the net parts. Don't love the 35 ft out bits, except that he's regularly picking corners. He's huge, he can skate, and he can pick corners and roof it with regularity. Not sure I need more in the mid first of a bad draft.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The only comparable I can think of that had such a dramatic uptic is Benoit Pouliot. He didn't experience the drop, though. I will just be happy that those in the know, who have seen him a lot don't seem to discount him. Plus, my favorite kids after him dropped like crazy. I'm resigned to this. I'm good.

Ekman-Larsson and Wheeler were both late and fast risers from six months out into the last weeks of the draft.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The kid says he can play center...if that is the case, I'm so on board with this pick.

From several sites, it says he's got great stick handling ability, so I guess a switch to center could be done...love to see it. It also says his "puck possession" is top notch, so again, I'm liking the pick more and more.

C'mon kid, work your arse off this summer and move to center and put up 40+ goals and 50+ assists :)

Hope he plays C next year in Junior. Could be the difference of having Getzlaf light or Taylor Pyatt 2.0

rt

May 13, 2004
Ekman-Larsson and Wheeler were both late and fast risers from six months out into the last weeks of the draft.

True. Didn't experience the cool off though.

Hilarious, by the way, that his dad played a handful of NHL games. Technically speaking, he's the latest of Murphy, Samuelsson, and Domi who had fathers who played in the NHL.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Fugg it. Going to try a 2-3 year down the road lineup where everyone caps out to their max potential.

Domi-X-Boedker
Perlini-Hanzel-Samuelson (what a gigantic line)
Lessio-Dauphin-Some vet
Swarz-Gaudet-whomever

OEL-Murphy
Gormely-Stone
X-Summer

After typing this out:
Does Yandle fit in 2-3 years. He reaches UFA in 2 years, do we trade him now, next year or hang on to him?
What current forwards besides Boeds and Hanzel make it in 3 years realistically?
This doesn't look too bad. Still fits the Tippet mold of gritty but has the potential of a great scoring threat. My only concern is besides the backend it kind of looks like Nashville in it's heyday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad