Draft #12 - Brendan Perlini

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Good call. His highlights look similar to how I remember Daze. I think Perlini is even a better skater, though. He could end up somewhere between Max Pacioretty and Benoit Pouliot. Brock Otten has compared his on ice "look" as similar to Jeff Carter in his OHL days.

Daze was 6'6" and over 225. We called him "Daisy" because he never laid anyone out. But he was willing to go to the net and absorb some abuse in front of the crease. He was a legit, consistent 30 goal scorer who could pot one from anywhere. I'd be thrilled if Perlini turns into that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What's sick about Perlini's highlights is that whether on a breakaway or in a scramble in front of the net, the puck is finding the top corner in most of those shots. A lot of popped water bottles in the highlights. Very impressive. I don't have any complaints about this guy. I didn't have time to look into the draft as much as years previous (actually true the last two years). I had a few favourites, but this guy didn't make my hate or love list. After reading a bit, I'm pretty comfortable with this pick.
He might have the hands to pot 10 goals this year if the only ice time Tippett gave him was parking in front of netminders on the powerplay.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What's sick about Perlini's highlights is that whether on a breakaway or in a scramble in front of the net, the puck is finding the top corner in most of those shots. A lot of popped water bottles in the highlights. Very impressive. I don't have any complaints about this guy. I didn't have time to look into the draft as much as years previous (actually true the last two years). I had a few favourites, but this guy didn't make my hate or love list. After reading a bit, I'm pretty comfortable with this pick.
He might have the hands to pot 10 goals this year if the only ice time Tippett gave him was parking in front of netminders on the powerplay.

Grimes and I both noticed the same exact thing about his goals. Kid picks corners like nobody's business. Deadly accurate.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting that the Coyotes had him 8th overall, with a big drop off thereafter.

I wonder who the seven kids in front of him were. I guess my bigger question is which three kids of the 11 that went ahead of him did the Coyotes consider part of the big drop off?

That means that they had three of Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, and Fiala were rated lower than Perlini, but also considered such a large drop off that they'd have trade down rather than pick.

I suspect Fleury is one. Possibly Fiala the other? Then one of those other kids, too. Interesting to think about.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't know that it means they considered it a huge drop off. Might have been only a slight drop off, and that after their top 8, they valued the next 12-15 players or so approximately the same, so they would rather drop down and pick up additional assets. If you rated Ritchie, Vrana, Tuch, etc all approximately the same, why not trade down if you know you're going to still get one of your 2nd tier guys.
Personally, I'm not sure I wouldn't have traded down anyway. There were some good prospects going pretty late. I haven't done my homework this year and outside of the top five, I'm not sure that I saw a lot to distinguish the middle guys. Definitely had guys I preferred, but I don't know by how much. I'll trust they spent a lot more time looking at these guys haha

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting that the Coyotes had him 8th overall, with a big drop off thereafter.

I wonder who the seven kids in front of him were. I guess my bigger question is which three kids of the 11 that went ahead of him did the Coyotes consider part of the big drop off?

That means that they had three of Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, and Fiala were rated lower than Perlini, but also considered such a large drop off that they'd have trade down rather than pick.

I suspect Fleury is one. Possibly Fiala the other? Then one of those other kids, too. Interesting to think about.

Interesting. Where did you read this?

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
I can rate Nylander as better player than Perlini, but not tend to draft him because of personal or other reasons. Maybe it was "great 8" of whom we want to pick.

Ace88*

Just thought i'd drop in here and offer some tidbits on Perlini as someone who watched him all season.

At 12, Perlini's a great pick for you guys. He has that straight line speed and neutral zone presence that will work extremely well with the Yotes' puckmovers. Obviously you know he has a great shot and great skating to go with his size, but this is a kid who has a very low bust potential. Pyatt's an awful comparison, though. He has more skill and better hands than he gets credit for, and he is way better on the boards and corners than he gets credit for.

The thing that turned people off in the second half was that he seemed to slow right down. And he did, which is attributable to playing with an injury for much of the last third or so of the season. But more than that, he and Verhaeghe were literally the only two weapons Niagara had. Once teams figured out that shutting these two down meant shutting Niagara down, it became easier for them to do so. Niagara is not a great team, despite making the playoffs. Them making it in was on the backs of Perlini and Verhaeghe.

Next season will be more telling. He should be good for at least 90 points, but he and Verhaeghe both could realistically crack 100. You guys got a wicked prospect in the same vein as JVR and Pacioretty--Perlini's got very real 30-30 upside and I think he fits the Yotes perfectly.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I keep seeing Perlini compared to guys like Pacioretty, but Pacioretty has a bit of a mean streak, no? Everything I've seen and read about Perlini paints him as more of a perimeter player. Not a floater by any means but not someone who will go out of his way to engage physically. Is that not accurate?

Ace88*

I keep seeing Perlini compared to guys like Pacioretty, but Pacioretty has a bit of a mean streak, no? Everything I've seen and read about Perlini paints him as more of a perimeter player. Not a floater by any means but not someone who will go out of his way to engage physically. Is that not accurate?

Not really...Pacioretty has more of a whiney streak than a mean streak :laugh: it's not that Perlini goes out of his way to avoid physicality, he just doesn't hit everything in sight. That's not his game. He is by no means soft, though, as he'll take a hit to make a play and will blow right through players if given the chance. Folks just expect a guy like him with his size to just steamroll players at every chance. Flaw in the HF mentality, i guess lol. He's not really a "perimeter player" per se, he just knows that he can score off the rush without having to get within 4 feet of the net and so he does. But he definitely goes to dirty areas of the ice. You won't see that in his highlights, because like i said his highlights mostly consist of him skating a jillion miles an hour down the wing and absolutely ripping it in for a goal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sorry for my lack of understanding but what is the benefit to doing this? In case they want him to play in the NHL they are allowed to? Or are they required to sign entry level contracts after the draft? Thanks dudes.

2 year deadline to sign CHL guys or else they re-enter draft

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Gotcha, so by signing him the first year eligible it means he may get a look?

I don't think it makes a difference in terms of where he will play next year. It's just a step that the team would like to get completed. He's likely getting close to max cash allowed under the CBA on a entry deal so there is no incentive for player to hold out for the two years as leverage.

It's only when teams get close to cap (and bonuses) where there is a potential squeeze play. Teams near the max on cap will typically negotiate lower salaries/no bonuses with the opportunity of this making the rookie more appealing to be a roster player versus having a high cap hit and no shot of making the pro roster and earning $75K in the AHL.

AZ has no issue with cap and if you are paying out bonuses because the player is doing well you are typically earning more cash so from a budget perspective their is real no major negotiating stumbling block from the Coyotes side.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't think it makes a difference in terms of where he will play next year. It's just a step that the team would like to get completed. He's likely getting close to max cash allowed under the CBA on a entry deal so there is no incentive for player to hold out for the two years as leverage.

It's only when teams get close to cap (and bonuses) where there is a potential squeeze play. Teams near the max on cap will typically negotiate lower salaries/no bonuses with the opportunity of this making the rookie more appealing to be a roster player versus having a high cap hit and no shot of making the pro roster and earning $75K in the AHL.

AZ has no issue with cap and if you are paying out bonuses because the player is doing well you are typically earning more cash so from a budget perspective their is real no major negotiating stumbling block from the Coyotes side.

Awesome thanks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So where is he likely to play? Niagara? Portland? somewhere else?

He can't play in AHL. Realistic options for next two years are NHL (unlikely this year) or CHL. Niagra own his CHL rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad