Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas: "Defense sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid defense, Sully."

Will MAF go into the HHOF

• Total voters

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
1. If they have better options, perhaps he's not as capable "two way" as he's been presented.
2. Dumoulin didn't get PP time either because the Pens had a lot of better options. He still produced like Slavin.

Everything between them on the player comparison shows how much better Slavin is.

You don't have to think he is good it was whatever but a top 10 defensemen in the NHL is worth a lot.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Slavin had 42 points the previous year. Slavin is a two way # 1 D.

Weird how Jake's previous production makes him a top winger, but Slavin's doesn't...
His career high. And he paced for 24 points the season before that.

Guentzel's "down season" had him 14th in the league in LW scoring.

That's the difference.

Everything between them on the player comparison shows how much better Slavin is.

You don't have to think he is good it was whatever but a top 10 defensemen in the NHL is worth a lot.
I'm not denying Slavin is a better defenseman than Dumo. That's obvious.

The point is that you can't very well call a player "two way" who's struggling to outproduce Dumoulin offensively.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Come play off time this one us no Brainer - Smith over Tatar all day long.

Having said that - under Sullivan Smith will not be as proficient as he was on the Knights.

Zucker out - Smith in. Are the Pens any better up front with that switch?
Everyone healthy - It's probably a small step back when you consider Zucker's leadership and energy. Zucker is never healthy though. He played a lot of games last year but still wasn't healthy for a lot of them. Plus Smith came at a discount over Zucker at 5.5m. I'd have loved one of them on the 3rd line if we could afford it though.

Reactions: PaulD

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
His career high. And he paced for 24 points the season before that.

Guentzel's "down season" had him 14th in the league in LW scoring.

That's the difference.

I'm not denying Slavin is a better defenseman than Dumo. That's obvious.

The point is that you can't very well call a player "two way" who's struggling to outproduce Dumoulin offensively.
He was 39th in even strength scoring.

He had a down year compared to last year in the point department but still scored like a top pairing defensemen.

Dumolin with all the passes Crosby dishes to him wasn't even in the top 60.

Anyways I am taking the top 10 defensemen in his prime over current Malkin. You do you.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He was 39th in even strength scoring.

He had a down year compared to last year in the point department but still scored like a top pairing defensemen.

Dumolin with all the passes Crosby dishes to him wasn't even in the top 60.

Anyways I am taking the top 10 defensemen in his prime over current Malkin. You do you.
With 3 fewer EV points, Dumo was 59th. So by that standard he scored like a top pairing defenseman too. And nobody on planet earth has ever credibly called Dumo a two way defenseman at the NHL level.

Hurricanes and Pens' offenses were virtually identical last year.

But yes, I will happily take the guy who can score a P/G with 45 point wingers over a very good defensive defenseman who scores 27 points. Any day.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The year we had the World Cup was awesome.

We had just won the cup, had a hockey tournament in September and like… way more interesting things to talk about than Dumo vs Slavvin vs Malkin.
The format was whack, but I thought the on-ice product was much better than people expected. Guys went hard.
Enjoyed that tournament a lot. Especially Sid's line with Bergeron and Marchand.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't know where to put this....? I don't want to dredge up the pigeon thread.

It's more for driving the final nail in the coffin and put it/him to rest.

Band - Mass Undergoe

@Zirakzigil

mens-adidas-sidney-crosby-black-pittsburgh-penguins-reverse-retro-20-authentic-player-jersey_pi4684000_altimages_ff_4684763-cd2dbdfe551127d043b1alt1_full.jpg

Cant decide over Geno and Sid.

lotion-it.gif

"It puts the RoboPen on its fandom or else it gets the hose again!"

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
mens-adidas-sidney-crosby-black-pittsburgh-penguins-reverse-retro-20-authentic-player-jersey_pi4684000_altimages_ff_4684763-cd2dbdfe551127d043b1alt1_full.jpg

Cant decide over Geno and Sid.

lotion-it.gif

"It puts the RoboPen on its fandom or else it gets the hose again!"
That really doesn't faze me. But....
Who would pay over $300 for that?:biglaugh:

On sale no less. A one-off.

It really doesn't matter the choice. It's all on you. I won't see it from Calgary.

I don't like the Adidas in the first place. Fanatics is only going to be worse.

I'll order up a Reebok Karlsson.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That really doesn't faze me. But....
Who would pay over $300 for that?:biglaugh:

On sale no less. A one-off.

It really doesn't matter the choice. It's all on you. I won't see it from Calgary.

I don't like the Adidas in the first place. Fanatics is only going to be worse.

I'll order up a Reebok Karlsson.
Going to send you one just because :P

Also thats the authentic jersey so its more expensive than the fan ones :(

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going to send you one just because :P

Also thats the authentic jersey so its more expensive than the fan ones :(

We have authentic, and never paid that much. Though after thought/season. Tie downs and everything. Off the rack. I know you are not local so such deals are not privy for you. We kind of stumbled on them and they were pushing them. Guentzel/Hornqvist/Kessel. All Reebok. Less than half. We literally couldn't pass them up back in 16/17.

Edit: This talk should be stricken from the music thread, though. @Zirakzigil

Sorry.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We have authentic, and never paid that much. Though after thought/season. Tie downs and everything. Off the rack. I know you are not local so such deals are not privy for you. We kind of stumbled on them and they were pushing them. Guentzel/Hornqvist/Kessel. All Reebok. Less than half. We literally couldn't pass them up back in 16/17.

Edit: This talk should be stricken from the music thread, though. @Zirakzigil

Sorry.
giphy.gif

Yeah its frustrating. Saw Flames reverse 3rds for $35 on clearance the other day. All my Pens stuff has to come from the States. :puppy: I did get my robopen jersey for pretty cheap, problem was that I couldnt get a name on it at the time, those were sold out. I also am doubtful I will be seeing the Pens play this year. Flames brain trust decided to retire Kippers jersey the night they come to Calgary and tickets are already sold out.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
Just did a query on nhl.com for the top scoring defensemen since 2005 and Letang is #3 at 691. Only Karlsson (761) and Burns (832) are ahead of him.

Of course, I knew Letang was pretty good offensively but certainly wasn't expecting that.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Just did a query on nhl.com for the top scoring defensemen since 2005 and Letang is #3 at 691. Only Karlsson (761) and Burns (832) are ahead of him.

Of course, I knew Letang was pretty good offensively but certainly wasn't expecting that.
Points per game supports that too, if you add an adequate game count filter. We're not getting both of them in their prime, but yeah, it's still pretty special

Reactions: Kiith Nabaal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad