News Article: Downtown Arena possible

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We are 7 years away from a new rink so the city may change by then.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I’ve got a friend in Toronto that does this for high end homes. Anthony Davis spent 300K but one of his clients hit 750K, which included seating.
That's cool. I think that'd be so much fun to be involved with and see them come together.

I believe those numbers, no doubt. The sky really is the limit, like many things.

Do you mean like my Lakers AD?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's cool. I think that'd be so much fun to be involved with and see them come together.

I believe those numbers, no doubt. The sky really is the limit, like many things.

Do you mean like my Lakers AD?
Antonio Davis, my bad. Davis flew him down to do his place in Chicago to do that place as well. My buddy isn’t loaded but his customers are, the 750K job was a 12 seat room with 2 server racks. I’m not into that stuff but he said it was the equivalent of going to a theatre with better picture and sound. Ridiculous.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I also wonder where you’re getting the stats about the locations in the Greater Ottawa Region, of the paying customers that go to NHL games in Ottawa?

When they played in the Civic Center, how did they know where I lived as a partial STH?

If the Arena is relocated to Lebreton Flats, and built practically on top of the LRT and within a stones throw of a bridge to Gatineau…. It does not take a rocket surgeon to speculate that drawing fans from all regions in the area will be much easier than the current location, which is closer to, or easier to get to, from Templton QC, Arnprior and Carlton Place, than Orleans.
The knowledge of where the fans were coming from was in the news at the time. One of the reasons they did build where they did, when Lebreton was turned down, was because of the fan base, STH and corporate. Knowing is easy, they had your address at the time and the only real businesses of consequence were west end, although less today than back then. They probably would have your address today but back then for sure as they mailed out tickets.

But they could not draw from those other regions when they were at Landsdowne. Gatineau and Orleans are by and large Montreal territory and are heavily public servants whom tend to not be STH. That said, Orleans at least will be easier, it will be a car ride and train. Thats not so true for the south and west though. The train will have no park 'n ride in the west nor for Barrhaven. That means drive, bus, train. Logistically its a massive pain. And forget families with kids going which makes up a large portion of the game day tickets. That at least will likely be sucked up by being a more central location though.

It is also hard to say how Gatineau will work out. Remember this summer they had to shut down the Ottawa to Gatineau link (pimisi station) because there were too many people there (20,000 downtown). Imagine doing that at 10PM on a Tuesday night in February ......

They have to get this right though. Based on Calgary costs, this could be 1-1.5B, depending on how it goes. The team (Calgary) is paying 40M, other government (local and provincial) are paying the rest. The team pays 17M (+1 percent raise per year) for 35 years. Does that deal fly with Ontario and Ottawa government? If not, the team has to take on massive debt.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Antonio Davis, my bad. Davis flew him down to do his place in Chicago to do that place as well. My buddy isn’t loaded but his customers are, the 750K job was a 12 seat room with 2 server racks. I’m not into that stuff but he said it was the equivalent of going to a theatre with better picture and sound. Ridiculous.
Lol, well I remember him too. Solid player in his time. Raptors had a good thing that just didn't quite come together fully with injuries and what not.

That's a cool story though. That'd be fun to rub elbows with a guy like that on an exciting new theatre project where no expense is a concern. I've had to come up with my share of DIY solutions to cut corners over the years, or have to make spending compromises, and it can be a tough pill to swallow.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Cyril Leeder stated yesterday at the City Building Summit that Lebratons is the deal they are working on. The cost of the arena is between 1.2 and 1.5 billion and the juicy part is the infrastructure around the arena will be up to another 6 billion. The NCC may sell part of the parcel of land to make this happen apparently.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I suppose you could be right...question....why is his Lambo a ridiculous ride?
Don’t get me wrong, we buy ridiculous things all the time, and to each their own, but driving a Lambo in heavy stop and go traffic downtown, in the winter, is ridiculous.

Just skip the weak flex attempt and drive the Individual Rangie instead ya know? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Cyril Leeder: "The only site we're really focused on right now has been LeBreton Flats," he said. "Obviously there are other sites in the city. We've looked at a number of those. Probably too early to say definitively where the arena's going to go, but at this point the only site we are really serious with is LeBreton Flats."

Thank god. Even if they don't settle on Lebreton, we can stop urgently thrashing through different site proposals.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cyril Leeder: "The only site we're really focused on right now has been LeBreton Flats," he said. "Obviously there are other sites in the city. We've looked at a number of those. Probably too early to say definitively where the arena's going to go, but at this point the only site we are really serious with is LeBreton Flats."

Thank god. Even if they don't settle on Lebreton, we can stop urgently thrashing through different site proposals.
6 Billion means they are looking for a ton more land at Lebreton and it’s like a RVL reboot.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
6 Billion means they are looking for a ton more land at Lebreton and it’s like a RVL reboot.
6 Billion? I must have missed something.

The article says: "Leeder said comparable arena projects have cost in the $1.2-billion range, and a new arena in Ottawa would probably be about the same order of magnitude."

Reactions: Loach

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
6 Billion? I must have missed something.

The article says: "Leeder said comparable arena projects have cost in the $1.2-billion range, and a new arena in Ottawa would probably be about the same order of magnitude."
Plus 3 to 5 times that for surrounding infrastructure

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
where is this 6 billion number coming from? It's not in the article.

Plus 3 to 5 times that for surrounding infrastructure
I thought there was barelu land for an arena? What's happening? Lol

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hmm...RVL back on the table I suppose instead of that puny piece for the arena

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Cyril Leeder stated yesterday at the City Building Summit that Lebratons is the deal they are working on. The cost of the arena is between 1.2 and 1.5 billion and the juicy part is the infrastructure around the arena will be up to another 6 billion. The NCC may sell part of the parcel of land to make this happen apparently.
6 billion sounds crazy, and no article mentions that, where did you get that info from.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
15.20, 20 bucks, all said for the price of a game, thats a few percentage points.

And the gas costs are largely the same for a lot of people, you still have to drive to a park n ride. Extraordinarily few people are willing to go with a local bus with 30-60 minute turn around time.

Saving 10 bucks max for the pleasure of a tougher time getting there and out is not gonna fly.

That said, Orleans at least will be easier, it will be a car ride and train. Thats not so true for the south and west though. The train will have no park 'n ride in the west nor for Barrhaven. That means drive, bus, train. Logistically its a massive pain. And forget families with kids going which makes up a large portion of the game day tickets. That at least will likely be sucked up by being a more central location though.
They could run shuttle buses from parking lots to the Senators games, no? They’ve done this in the past. I did this a couple of times and drove a short distance (about a mile) and didn’t wait for an hour for the bus to depart after the game. It's not a regular bus route which you seem to be suggesting in your post, but OC Transpo provided the bus & the driver. I’ll assume there’s some kind of service arrangement for events and such like this.

There’s lot of different, creative ways that local businesses in coordination with the transit system can work together. Just thought I’d provide a counterpoint based on history to a bunch of worst case assumptions/scenarios added together. I don’t want to get into a prolonged back & forth.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
6 billion sounds crazy, and no article mentions that, where did you get that info from.
Wasn't the original rendezvous bid a 3.5 billion dollar development? That was before Covid too, so costs have gone up. We were originally talking about 500-600 for the arena, now it's 1.2-1.5b.

Can't remember where I read it, but somebody (Garrioch perhaps?) was saying they was a belief that the parcel of land being offered was now closer to the 13 acres that the city is proposing with Bayview at this point, rather than the 7 acres originally being offered.

Idk is 6 billion is accurate, but if the 13 acres rumour is true, 6b wouldn't shock me as a project

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wasn't the original rendezvous bid a 3.5 billion dollar development? That was before Covid too, so costs have gone up. We were originally talking about 500-600 for the arena, now it's 1.2-1.5b.

Can't remember where I read it, but somebody (Garrioch perhaps?) was saying they was a belief that the parcel of land being offered was now closer to the 13 acres that the city is proposing with Bayview at this point, rather than the 7 acres originally being offered.

Idk is 6 billion is accurate, but if the 13 acres rumour is true, 6b wouldn't shock me as a project
Ahh,
I was taking infrastructure to mean water, sewer, sidewalks, gas, hydro etc

Like when Sutcliffe said the city could help with infrastructure not money.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ottawa Business Journal.

If the Malhotra’s develop the land around the rink at Lebreton we will be THE destination for homesick Russians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad