News Article: Downtown Arena possible

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
You dont have to have valet parking on site. You could build a lot somewhere close and cheap, park the cars there after people get out right in front of a special entrance, and have valets shuttle back and forth. Could even book valets like uber drivers and be able to see exactly when your car is ready

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You dont have to have valet parking on site. You could build a lot somewhere close and cheap, park the cars there after people get out right in front of a special entrance, and have valets shuttle back and forth. Could even book valets like uber drivers and be able to see exactly when your car is ready
I’ve had quite enough of your ‘creative solutions’….

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I still think Lebreton is a great spot for the arena and entertainment complex. But, I would hope there's some sort of ability to add a shitload of underground parking. LRT is decent and all, but Ottawa is going to remain a car city for at least another 30 years (or generation or two). Just the way this city is designed and how it has grown. Unless an asteroid or nuke flattens the place and we start over from scratch and can build a more mass transit and walking friendly city.

But I also think we (well, the powers in charge of things) have to be smart about this. Where exactly is the best place both for the team, and the city? What works for everyone and helps make the team a destination for players and corporate sponsors, while also enhancing the city and being profitable for Ottawa?

And wherever they choose, it's going to be the home of the Sens for the next 30-40 years at least, so it has to be a spot that works today and decades down the line. And how the hell are you getting people out of their homes and theater rooms and into an arena in February when it's -30 and they have a 60 hour work week just to survive? You have to offer more than just a hockey game...there has to be value to the arena+ to make it a destination 300+ days a year to be viable.

Building a “Shitload of underground parking” is first, super expensive, and secondly not going to happen….. If the Arena ends up between two LRT stations, people will use LRT, and use the Park and ride locations…..

The season ticket holders i know are generally lawyers, high tech, medical. They do not work downtown and laugh at public transportation. They are not going to take their car to get to a park 'n ride, to get on a bus to get to a train station to take the train to get to the game them the same out. That will take them longer than getting out of the parking lot now. And the expense of the transit both ways for two people equals parking costs.

When there will only be perhaps 500 parking spots at a Lebreton Arena, there will not be the choice to take their cars to games, or other events…

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The season ticket holders i know are generally lawyers, high tech, medical. They do not work downtown and laugh at public transportation. They are not going to take their car to get to a park 'n ride, to get on a bus to get to a train station to take the train to get to the game them the same out. That will take them longer than getting out of the parking lot now. And the expense of the transit both ways for two people equals parking costs.
I made a general comment about large metro areas versus an Ottawa specific one. Context is important. I am/was an engineer. My circle (friends & family) were predominantly professionals. I used to use the shuttle buses they had from various locations to get to Senator games in the past when I lived there, although I had a car. Rail is new to Ottawa, Over time, as people get more accustomed to it, and the service grows (and gets better), maybe things will change, or maybe not, who knows. I’m not talking about things in the next few years, I’m talking about several decades from now which is generally what urban planners look at when making transportation decisions of this ilk. Anyhow, don’t think this such a compelling topic that I will continue to discuss it.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
When there will only be perhaps 500 parking spots at a Lebreton Arena, there will not be the choice to take their cars to games, or other events…
Its not about the choice of how to get there, its the choice about whether to go in the first place.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
MSG. New York makes it work. Why can't Ottawa? And if you dont want to take the LRT, what's stopping you from just taking an Uber?

1713734473028.png

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Its not about the choice of how to get there, its the choice about whether to go in the first place.

For every fan that does not go to a game, because they can’t park at the Arena, there will be 20 who will go on public transit…. A ticket sold to a Lawyer or Doctor, will sold to an Electrician or Carpenter .

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
People can change how they operate. If old rich folk don’t want to find a different way to the game, young rich folk will replace them.

That’s the thing with change, sometimes you have to build it and they will come. If Lambo Bill is a big enough Sens fans, he’ll leave the ridiculous ride at home and find a different way to the game.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
People can change how they operate. If old rich folk don’t want to find a different way to the game, young rich folk will replace them.

That’s the thing with change, sometimes you have to build it and they will come. If Lambo Bill is a big enough Sens fans, he’ll leave the ridiculous ride at home and find a different way to the game.
I suppose you could be right...question....why is his Lambo a ridiculous ride?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
For every fan that does not go to a game, because they can’t park at the Arena, there will be 20 who will go on public transit…. A ticket sold to a Lawyer or Doctor, will sold to an Electrician or Carpenter .
The team has a hard enough time filling rink. no way there are that many people lining up, especially with what is likely a 20-40% increase in ticket prices.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
And the expense of the transit both ways for two people equals parking costs.
.... How much do you think transit is in this city?

Fare for two people, both ways, assuming no montly pass, is 15.20.

Minimum parking fee at CTC is 20 in the cheapest lot. 35 in the general lot.

So at best, you're saving enough for another person's one way fare. Go general and you're paying less than half.

Thats not even including gas costs.

Believe whatever you want about the best way to get to and from a game. But from a straight up. Cost perspective you are wrong.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I suppose you could be right...question....why is his Lambo a ridiculous ride?
Lol. You really asking this question?

I'm gonna take a flyer and say that for 99% of the people on this board, a lambo is a ridiculous ride that's pure status symbol. A luxury most would never be able to afford. And while they look and sound cool, an absolute impracticle car that screams "I have money, ego and a small dick and I'm flaunting all of it"

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
NYC is an outlier in absolutely every metric in North America. I also don't think there's enough ubers in the Ottawa area for a thousand Sens fans to call one all at once.

I’m hesitant to wade into this topic again based on past experience. I’m "guessing" you are referring to, or thinking about the NYC subway system and the large population of New York city? Mea culpa if I have guessed incorrectly.

There's two things that are “perhaps” not being considered.

The first is that NYC is not the only large North American city with a subway system.

The 2nd thing is that a subway system is only one type of rail system that is used in a metro area with a large population. The other one (I’m over simplifying) is commuter rail which in oversimplified terms can be used to go from outlying areas/suburbs to the city center.

I have used commuter rail systems to go to NHL games in Philadelphia, Washington, DC., NYC (Rangers) an Islanders game and used LRT to go to a Dallas Stars game. I could have also gone to a Devils game if I had been inclined to do so. I am oversimplifying here because sometimes I used a combination of commuter rail and subway to get to the game, and because the line between subway and commuter rail can be quite blurred e.g., the WMATA (Washington metro area) system.

Anyhow, I hesitated typing this because of negative past experience (this can get political even which I am loathe to get involved in) and hope I don’t regret spending time making this post. And yes, I realize this content isn’t Ottawa specific. I’ve mentioned before that I used to live in Ottawa for what that is worth. The population of Ottawa has grown and will continue to do so. I vividly remember driving past the sign on the Queensway (located somewhere between Bayshore & Pinecrest) that said the population was somewhere around 300,000 (here comes another tangental onslaught).

BTW, you are a good poster and enjoy your posts, so this is just discussion and info versus being critical (please do not view it as such).

One last thought, you could make numerous round trips on a rail system and still save a lot of money versus the cost of parking for one day especially if you had a monthly pass.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
.... How much do you think transit is in this city?

Fare for two people, both ways, assuming no montly pass, is 15.20.

Minimum parking fee at CTC is 20 in the cheapest lot. 35 in the general lot.

So at best, you're saving enough for another person's one way fare. Go general and you're paying less than half.

Thats not even including gas costs.

Believe whatever you want about the best way to get to and from a game. But from a straight up. Cost perspective you are wrong.
Depends, group I go with, have a $5 parking pass, valid for $35 parking lot, for being long time STH.

Usually in a car for $20 bucks, your splitting that 2-4, ways.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Depends, group I go with, have a $5 parking pass, valid for $35 parking lot, for being long time STH.

Usually in a car for $20 bucks, your splitting that 2-4, ways.
Lucky them, that's a great deal. Not for everyone else though.

The scenario I replied to was parking for two, no mention of sth pass or more occupants in the car. At best, $10 a head.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lucky them, that's a great deal. Not for everyone else though.

The scenario I replied to was parking for two, no mention of sth pass or more occupants in the car. At best, $10 a head.
So one scenario, out of many options.

I had free parking when I was there, but a lot of STH will lose that perk when, downtown.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, but he was responding to a claim that tried to suggest driving and Parking was universally equal to transit and did so with a more general scenario

There are going to be cases where driving will be less expensive, and others where it will not, or at least presumably, It's possible the perk of cheap parking for long time STH will be converted to free transit when the team is downtown, or it's possible transit will universally be included the way it is for the redblacks in which case it will always be cheaper to bus.

Reactions: Relapsing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol. You really asking this question?

I'm gonna take a flyer and say that for 99% of the people on this board, a lambo is a ridiculous ride that's pure status symbol. A luxury most would never be able to afford. And while they look and sound cool, an absolute impracticle car that screams "I have money, ego and a small dick and I'm flaunting all of it"
Nick Paul would drive a Ferrari.

• Haha

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

I had free parking when I was there, but a lot of STH will lose that perk when, downtown.
Lol. Next time I'll be sure to break down every possible scenario in my reply, along with the one that was specifically posed. I'll also make a chart showing variable parking fees depending on the number of occupants in a vehicle.

How many people can you cram into a trunk?

Nick Paul would drive a Ferrari.
Damn right he would.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol. Next time I'll be sure to break down every possible scenario in my reply, along with the one that was specifically posed. I'll also make a chart showing variable parking fees depending on the number of occupants in a vehicle.

How many people can you cram into a trunk?

Damn right he would.
Be sure to include the fuel efficiency of the vehicles, some of that increased trunk space in the Chrysler 300 over a Ford Fiesta comes at the cost higher prices at the pump...

• Haha

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
It's possible the perk of cheap parking for long time STH will be converted to free transit when the team is downtown, or it's possible transit will universally be included the way it is for the redblacks in which case it will always be cheaper to bus.
I hope they mirror the red blacks/soccer ticket perk, it's genius. Free transit within x minutes of game start and end with your ticket

Ahh the good ole drive-in days.
Once went to a concert at CTC with one too many in the car... Buddy crawled into the trunk with a 26 of vodka and was blasted by the time we got there. Ah, memories.

Be sure to include the fuel efficiency of the vehicles, some of that increased trunk space in the Chrysler 300 over a Ford Fiesta comes at the cost higher prices at the pump...
Im f***ed if I need to include electric vehicles and variable electricity rates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad