News Article: Downtown Arena possible

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There is already a downtown arena......The Tom Brown Arena just knock down a couple of walls, build up the walls, add a few more seats, a couple more concession stands and voila..... there's your new arena, easy peasy.;)

Tom Brown is NOT downtown.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We are not Phoenix ......

Between StLaurent and the Ball diamond. Put on/off ramps to the queensway in both directions, there is already an LTR stop. If it is hard to get too and no car possible, its a real issue in this town. That spot has both.

Where?

1713486321226.png

I was only joking about the Tom Brown Arena idea. Obviously The Tom Brown Arena could not be converted into an 18,000 seat arena.

I agree with you about St. Laurent and the ball diamond location.
I like that location because anyone ( tourists, commuters, etc...) that is driving along the Queensway can see the arena from the Queensway. They could check the marquee and see what teams are playing and upcoming games. The Via rail station is right there as well.

What do you tear down between the Mall and the Ball Diamond?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We are not Phoenix ......

Between StLaurent and the Ball diamond. Put on/off ramps to the queensway in both directions, there is already an LTR stop. If it is hard to get too and no car possible, its a real issue in this town. That spot has both.
A Queensway stop? No thanks.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Nortel was built on NCC property and paid a $1 annual lease. What's the problem with building on NCC land?

edit: please ignore the implied curse of comparing a business plan to Nortel
What we all forget is that some of the ownership group are large developers...they are in it for the money. They cannot build anything purposeful for their portfolio on leased lands. It goes deeper than that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just get it done asap. I remember sutcliff saying it needs to be done right and we already waited long enough what’s another few years? No f*** that another few years is more wasted time playing in kanata, ramp this shit up and put a shovel in the ground
I agree with Sutcliffe, take your time, and choose the right location, Since the building in Kanata is still fine.
Getting the right location is more important than getting a shovel in the ground.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Just get it done asap. I remember sutcliff saying it needs to be done right and we already waited long enough what’s another few years? No f*** that another few years is more wasted time playing in kanata, ramp this shit up and put a shovel in the ground
Making a good decision or the right decision is far better than doing it quickly and getting it wrong. Haste makes waste.

CTC in Kanata is certainly workable in the meantime.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't help but think that at least some of Sutcliffe's motivation is putting a stick in the spokes of the NCC. To know Ottawa politics is to know that the city and the NCC hate each other, and the city would love to steal away the crown jewel of the NCC redevelopment. There are, however, two huge problems:

First is location. Let's be honest - downtown Ottawa is not all that big. Where exactly do you plan to put this building? Do you even have a list of three possible locations? There aren't very many possibilities, and any of the ones suggested so far all have significant issues attached to them. I grow weary of vague pipe dream discussions on the arena - it's time to get realistic and get shovels into the ground.

The second issue is taxpayer money - if Sutcliffe wants the rink downtown, the city is going to have to buck up considerably with, at the very least, land purchases, a ton of local street work, etc. Where is that money coming from, and will taxpayers have any tolerance for a whack of city money going towards an arena given the current economic realities? Something tells me that would be a dead letter with most taxpayers. They are already doing Lansdowne 2.0 which I support - that is city land, and the project is needed. They have done a good job with the first round at Lansdowne, turning a formerly useless dump of a site into something positive. Given their responsibilities there, however, it might be tough to also juggle and help finance a building for the Sens...

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I can't help but think that at least some of Sutcliffe's motivation is putting a stick in the spokes of the NCC. To know Ottawa politics is to know that the city and the NCC hate each other, and the city would love to steal away the crown jewel of the NCC redevelopment.

I think the hatred between the city and the NCC has died down considerably under the more recent people leading the NCC.

They are already doing Lansdowne 2.0 which I support - that is city land, and the project is needed. They have done a good job with the first round at Lansdowne, turning a formerly useless dump of a site into something positive. Given their responsibilities there, however, it might be tough to also juggle and help finance a building for the Sens...

Landsdowne 1.0 and 2.0 both were stupid ideas. They should never have built venues that attract visitors from across the region to a location that's poorly served for both public transit and cars. They should have worked with the NCC to build the stadium and arena at Lebreton or found another place, like Hurdman or Bayview.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I can't help but think that at least some of Sutcliffe's motivation is putting a stick in the spokes of the NCC. To know Ottawa politics is to know that the city and the NCC hate each other, and the city would love to steal away the crown jewel of the NCC redevelopment. There are, however, two huge problems:

First is location. Let's be honest - downtown Ottawa is not all that big. Where exactly do you plan to put this building? Do you even have a list of three possible locations? There aren't very many possibilities, and any of the ones suggested so far all have significant issues attached to them. I grow weary of vague pipe dream discussions on the arena - it's time to get realistic and get shovels into the ground.

The second issue is taxpayer money - if Sutcliffe wants the rink downtown, the city is going to have to buck up considerably with, at the very least, land purchases, a ton of local street work, etc. Where is that money coming from, and will taxpayers have any tolerance for a whack of city money going towards an arena given the current economic realities? Something tells me that would be a dead letter with most taxpayers. They are already doing Lansdowne 2.0 which I support - that is city land, and the project is needed. They have done a good job with the first round at Lansdowne, turning a formerly useless dump of a site into something positive. Given their responsibilities there, however, it might be tough to also juggle and help finance a building for the Sens...
Landsdowne was screwed up, 1.0 should have been 2.0, as a result more money. Everyone knew they needed a new arena at 1.0 time.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I agree with Sutcliffe, take your time, and choose the right location, Since the building in Kanata is still fine.
Getting the right location is more important than getting a shovel in the ground.

We have been patient. I wanna see the sens downtown in my lifetime

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sutcliffe is a moron. There is no suitable place downtown. Just acquiring and demoing several blocks of high rises will cost half a billion dollars, and there will be no room for surrounding development for the team to recoup any of the costs.

At this point, he's just throwing wrenches into the process.

Pretty incredible that he's actually our mayor.

Lebreton Flats is a great shovel ready spot that WILL be part of Downtown in 10-20 years.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sutcliffe is facing the same challenges that all mayors are facing throughout North America - between huge vacancies in traditional office space and the growing problem of drug use and homelessness, downtown cores are being hollowed out like never before. As Mayor he looks at the future that our downtown core is facing and he is quietly terrified. (Again, every major city is going through their own version of this if you do any traveling at all. Ottawa is hardly unique.) He sees the Sens arena as a potential lifeline to that area, which I understand, but the problem is that he has no plan - he's just freelancing and hoping to draw the interest of the feds in collaborating on a project somewhere, anywhere. I appreciate his situation, but to me it is either find a downtown site right now and start championing it, or get out of the way...

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Bad location,
Anything not on the Queensway and car accessible is likely to be a bad location in this city. And its the same distance to the market and the current proposed location, 5 LRT stops vs 4 from the west side.

You make it LRT only, you cut out a lot of the people in the city willing to go, and notably the high end doctors, engineers and lawyers who shell out the larger bucks. That is why it works in the current location, it is close to the upper middle class who love their cars. They are not going to drive to catch bus to catch a train, and the same back.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Anything not on the Queensway and car accessible is likely to be a bad location in this city. And its the same distance to the market and the current proposed location, 5 LRT stops vs 4 from the west side.

You make it LRT only, you cut out a lot of the people in the city willing to go, and notably the high end doctors, engineers and lawyers who shell out the larger bucks. That is why it works in the current location, it is close to the upper middle class who love their cars. They are not going to drive to catch bus to catch a train, and the same back.

The New Arena, when built, and wherever it is, will NOT have a huge parking lot like the CTC has. This was evident when the Plans for rendezvous Lebreton were unveiled, showing perhap 500 parking spots, mostly for employees, Staff and players.

I love my vehicle, but always hated having to drive to games, as it was the best option for me. Not a fan of the ins and outs of the parking lot, the price to park, and the requirement for a DD.

I would prefer to take public transit, and not be bothered with the parking lot issues, and spend the (parking) money on more beer and food at the Arena, and not needing a DD to make our way home…

1713614303842.png

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

All previous plans have parking for staff and players. 500 spots total, vs 5000 or something in Kanata. If putting one near st Laurent, just leave it in Kanata then, since a lot of STH in west end.

Not to mention there is already some business there, need to buy them out if willing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Professional people won’t ride public transportation = Interesting conclusion.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
When going to Montreal, we have always parked by a metro stop and traveled by Metro for the day, especially for events in the Big O. It always felt crazy to try and drive around there. In Ottawa I never think that. Although I will admit parking off Baseline and taking those event buses to Lansdowne for Redblacks games is not bad. Im starting to find that more convenient now. And I have driven around the Glebe looking for parking for events for decades. So I guess we can change. For those that preferred valet parking, perhaps a new Sens limo service can help out. Electric sky taxis cant come soon enough. Cant wait till they start planning landing spots for them on the roof of a new arena. If the arena does move to LeBreton, maybe the Palladium can remain as a park and ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad