News Article: Downtown Arena possible

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Professional people won’t ride public transportation = Interesting conclusion.
The above poster is right. As much as it hurts to hear, going to a Sens game now in valet, you find Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, Rolls Royce, Bentley etc. I cannot see these individuals taking an LRT train to a game. Call it what you will, but the big money invested in suites and lower bowl season tickets like the finer things in life.

Reactions: Senovision

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The above poster is right. As much as it hurts to hear, going to a Sens game now in valet, you find Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, Rolls Royce, Bentley etc. I cannot see these individuals taking an LRT train to a game. Call it what you will, but the big money invested in suites and lower bowl season tickets like the finer things in life.
You're saying professional people have Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens, Rolls Royces, & Bentley’s?

Apparently, there is a lot to be learned in this thread.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess in other cities with downtown arenas that have limited parking those people don't go to games either?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

In the COTU, people take transit (GO, Up, or TTC) because it is easier than dealing with traffic. The people that drive in are from the sticks.

Reactions: Big Muddy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They keep their Lamborghini/McLaren's parked in their garages and use their helicopters to fly in.

gettyimages-1141364826-612x612.jpg

Carried in by their servants

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In Toronto and Montreal there's an actual culture of using the subway to get around. It's been that way for decades.

When was the OC Transpo strike? 2008? That was the last time I used public transportation. I live in the suburbs and have actually never been on a bus in my suburb. Not once in 30+ years.

Taking a bus is not something people in this city do when there's a car available

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They are using AI now to biologically reengineer mice into elephants,
Better make bigger sewers.

In Toronto and Montreal there's an actual culture of using the subway to get around. It's been that way for decades.

When was the OC Transpo strike? 2008? That was the last time I used public transportation. I live in the suburbs and have actually never been on a bus in my suburb. Not once in 30+ years.

Taking a bus is not something people in this city do when there's a car available
Been on the bus twice, 2 days I dropped off the car for service.

Reactions: Loach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

In a large metro areas, using public transportation (commuter rail, subway, whatever) is often the fastest and most efficient way of getting somewhere. And it saves money also as parking is really expensive, if you can find it.

Anyhow, its probably a good idea for me to not continue further into this discussion.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Better make bigger sewers.

Been on the bus twice, 2 days I dropped off the car for service.
if my wife or my dad wasn't available to drive me home from the mechanic's place, I'd be forced to re-schedule my appointment q

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In a large metro areas, using public transportation (commuter rail, subway, whatever) is often the fastest and most efficient way of getting somewhere. And it saves money also as parking is really expensive, if you can find it.

Anyhow, its probably a good idea for me to not continue further into this discussion.
Right. Ottawa isn't a large metro area. I agree with your point, it just doesn't apply to this city.

Apart from commuting to and from work in the downtown core, which is a mess now because of the train and wfh, people in this city simply don't use public transportation if they have a car. Like ever.

I was quite serious about my suburb comment. I lived in Orleans since 93, never been on a bus here.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
You see those cars in the winter? My fishing buddy uses a BMW as a tow car for his boat, but doubt there are Lambos cooking out to watch Sens games in January. Wtf.

I remember when the cabs went on strike. It was so easy to get around the city.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
You see those cars in the winter? My fishing buddy uses a BMW as a tow car for his boat, but doubt there are Lambos cooking out to watch Sens games in January. Wtf.

I remember when the cabs went on strike. It was so easy to get around the city.
Sorry to say, there are multiple Lamborghini Urus at games, there is also a buddy of mine from our car group who brings his white Lamborghini Huracan on dry days to the Sens game, dead of winter. Then there is an absurd amount of G Wagun as well. Guys who have G Waguns generally have an exotic or two in their garage.

Reactions: Loach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right. Ottawa isn't a large metro area. I agree with your point, it just doesn't apply to this city.

Apart from commuting to and from work in the downtown core, which is a mess now because of the train and wfh, people in this city simply don't use public transportation if they have a car. Like ever.

I was quite serious about my suburb comment. I lived in Orleans since 93, never been on a bus here.
As a pure aside, I used to live in Ottawa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There is Parking Available at MSG, and the “event” determines the cost of parking. Not sure how many spots are available but if you have the cash, you can book a parking spot for your event.

1713696073594.png

Reactions: mysens

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Just over 8 years ago, the winning bid only allocated 500 parking spots at an Arena at Lebreton Flats…. And this time around it will most likely be the same… so the Rich and Famous may have to opt for a car service to get to events at a new Arena.

1713697017682.png
I

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still think Lebreton is a great spot for the arena and entertainment complex. But, I would hope there's some sort of ability to add a shitload of underground parking. LRT is decent and all, but Ottawa is going to remain a car city for at least another 30 years (or generation or two). Just the way this city is designed and how it has grown. Unless an asteroid or nuke flattens the place and we start over from scratch and can build a more mass transit and walking friendly city.

But I also think we (well, the powers in charge of things) have to be smart about this. Where exactly is the best place both for the team, and the city? What works for everyone and helps make the team a destination for players and corporate sponsors, while also enhancing the city and being profitable for Ottawa?

And wherever they choose, it's going to be the home of the Sens for the next 30-40 years at least, so it has to be a spot that works today and decades down the line. And how the hell are you getting people out of their homes and theater rooms and into an arena in February when it's -30 and they have a 60 hour work week just to survive? You have to offer more than just a hockey game...there has to be value to the arena+ to make it a destination 300+ days a year to be viable.

Reactions: DrEasy

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

The season ticket holders i know are generally lawyers, high tech, medical. They do not work downtown and laugh at public transportation. They are not going to take their car to get to a park 'n ride, to get on a bus to get to a train station to take the train to get to the game them the same out. That will take them longer than getting out of the parking lot now. And the expense of the transit both ways for two people equals parking costs.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I guess in other cities with downtown arenas that have limited parking those people don't go to games either?
Public transit is largely taken by downtown workers who generally are not going to a lot of games as the numbers making a take home pay equivalent to other cities centers ticket holders is very low. Ottawa is an entirely different city than any NHL team in that they have minimal downtown corporate sponsorship and season ticket holders who work downtown. Even when they were at Landsdowne, 75% of the tickets were sold to West End people. Every other city has a downtown core where the money, corporate and professional, is. That is entirely backwards to Ottawa. It is a unique situation that must be accounted for.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In Toronto many people drive downtown, park about a 10-20 minute walk away. I can see people driving downtown and using LRT to go from World Exchange to Lebreton. Each ticket will likely include a transit charge on it so you will have already paid for the ride.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad