Downie Suspended Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Petes1 said:
You honestly think Downie all by himself managed to force a bunch of rookies to strip naked and get into the bathroom?

No, but he was part of it and and Akid didn't center his frustrations on downie for no reason.

jb**

Wild GM said:
Being a Phily fan, you should know better. How did T.O. work out for ya?
comparing apples and oranges. The Flyers would never allow him to reach those proportions. If Downey turns in to anything like TO the Flyers will show him the door so quick he would be an afterthought.

Roger's Pancreas*

Wild GM said:

That's a god aweful comparison if I ever heard one.

Wasn't TO the one who said "Get your popcorn ready, 'cause I'm gonna put on a show.†Downie on the other hand has said how me he cares about winning and is only there to help out the team. He's too passionate for his own good, that's his problem.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Isn't this the same guy that got hit by Jack Johnson and so many ran to the defense of "poor" Steve Downie?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Roger's Pancreas*

Downie named to OHL EC All-Stars.

link

How many players can get named to an all-star game, win a gold medal, be named as one of the tournament's mvps and be suspended on two separate occasions prior to turning twenty?

Seriously... I want to know how many players managed to pull this and go on to lead productive NHL careers.

Roger's Pancreas*

Pete Rock said:
Isn't this the same guy that got hit by Jack Johnson and so many ran to the defense of "poor" Steve Downie?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Find me one article where Downie complained about the elbow afterwards...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I saw some video of the "incident" what a joke if you get 5 games for that then someone is out to get you

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Several Russian U-20 players after they returned from WJC said that #7 (they did not know his name) was the biggest diver they have ever seen. He dove every time Russian players touched him. That speaks volumes as I know there is a bunch of skilled divers in Russia as well.

Avery4Byng*

Siberian said:
Several Russian U-20 players after they returned from WJC said that #7 (they did not know his name) was the biggest diver they have ever seen. He dove every time Russian players touched him. That speaks volumes as I know there is a bunch of skilled divers in Russia as well.
It takes one to know one, so I guess Downie is a diver.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Siberian said:

If Russia put "any thought into their game plan" they should have "lite his fuse" Oh well, they had their chance.

Liquidrage*

Siberian said:

Do you have a transcript of this made up airport interview you did with the Russian players? I'd love to read other made up thoughts of yours.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Panasonic Youth said:
Find me one article where Downie complained about the elbow afterwards...

I'll find you an article as soon as you can find one reference to where I actually said that Downie complained about the elbow.

:huh:

lisario

Feb 10, 2005
Wild GM said:

Living in Philly doesn't automatically make you a T.O. fan. Personally, I thought they were dumbasses for even trying to bring him in.

Clarke's always given hockey players second chances, he signed that rapist for awhile. Not that I don't think Downie's a ********.

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
Wish I had read this before the game. I didn't realize he was suspended and was disspointed to see that he wasn't suited up when he came out at the beginning to accept the stuff they gave him at the ceremony.

Oh well. I'll catch him soon enough, as long as he can manage to stay er, unsuspended :p:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Say this about Theo, he has a pretty good reason for being so erratic.

Downie sounds like a hybrid of Tibbets, Boulerice, Lindros and Brashear.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
RUSqueelin said:
Like I thought. Don't worry about it. If you believe those are the facts then fine. But please don't promote those to others.

I love people who tell others they don't know what they're talking about, and then won't provide the facts.

Please, for those of us who don't think a teammate should ever cross-check a teammate in the face, enlighten us on why this is Aliu's fault and how the facts that are in the public domain are incorrect. Let us know what the truth is, so we can judge based on that.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Panasonic Youth said:
That's a god aweful comparison if I ever heard one.

His comment was, "I can't wait to see him in Phily even if he is a jerk."

You don't just take players because they have talent. They have to be good teammates. Being a poor teammate is seemingly what T.O. and Downie have in common. T.O. verbally assults teammates. Downie physically assults them.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
Metallian said:
No, but he was part of it and and Akid didn't center his frustrations on downie for no reason.

Akim centered his frustrations on Downie because Downie crosschecked him. Downie was well liked by his team and fans in Windsor. He demanded a trade because the ownership of that team and coach at the time hung him out to dry. They let Downie take the fall for the whole hazing incident. I have no doubt that he played a part, but didn't act alone. The owner was on the bus, the coaches were on the bus, but nobody knew anything bad was going on. Downie was never suspended or reprimanded by the league for the hazing incident or the crosscheck. I'm not condoning Downie's actions, he plays with an edge and will occasionally cross the line, and when he does he pays for it. However, to label him a bully or to paint him as the sole person responsible for the chaos in Windsor is unjustified.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Wild GM said:
I think more like Claude Lemieux, Avery and Boulerice.

Yep, he'll be a great 3rd liner if he manages to keep his emotions in check.

I hope the people who compared him to Theo Fluery are comparing their styles of play, not talent level as Downie is not in Theo's league talent-wise.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
TheFinalWord said:
I love people who tell others they don't know what they're talking about, and then won't provide the facts.

Please, for those of us who don't think a teammate should ever cross-check a teammate in the face, enlighten us on why this is Aliu's fault and how the facts that are in the public domain are incorrect. Let us know what the truth is, so we can judge based on that.

I'm not going to write an essay because this topic has been beaten to death. Talk to some Spitfire fans or to people who actually know what went on. I'm sure there are 10 page threads on this from 2 months back. I'm not going to repeat everything over and over again. My point was I find it funny that people have this one sided opinion of what went on because of what they read on a TSN report. Have an objective mind and get the facts.

I didn't like downie before this incident happened, admired his play at the WJ's, and he will be public enemy number one again when he plays my team. Doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and brand him something that he's not.

jaydub*

This guy is a total loser. What a total cheapshot. Hopefully he ends up right next to Marcus Vick in prison. And to say his teammates loved him, I doubt the teammates who were hazed loved him. Or the teammate who got his teeth crosschecked out by this sad excuse for a human being. Maybe the losers who were fellow hazers liked him, but thats as much as I can see. He is like Theo Fleury. Except he doesn't have the talent of Theo Fleury.

jaydub*

RUSqueelin said:
I'm not going to write an essay because this topic has been beaten to death. Talk to some Spitfire fans or to people who actually know what went on. I'm sure there are 10 page threads on this from 2 months back. I'm not going to repeat everything over and over again. My point was I find it funny that people have this one sided opinion of what went on because of what they read on a TSN report. Have an objective mind and get the facts.

I didn't like downie before this incident happened, admired his play at the WJ's, and he will be public enemy number one again when he plays my team. Doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and brand him something that he's not.

Stop claiming that everyone is wrong and you are right if you aren't going to prove it. Either post the facts, or drop this holier than though stuff. I will trust TSN and other media sources over some random guy on the HFBoards :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad