Downie Suspended Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger's Pancreas*

jaydub said:
Stop claiming that everyone is wrong and you are right if you aren't going to prove it. Either post the facts, or drop this holier than though stuff. I will trust TSN and other media sources over some random guy on the HFBoards :teach:

TSN is just as biased as HF sometimes so I'd be very skeptical when reading articles from them. It is a fact that Spitfire fans were sad to see Downie go because he was their playoff MVP from the prior season. This season he's been named to the world junior tournament all-star team, ohl all-star team and on his way to another amazing playoff run. You can go over to gopetesgo.com and check out the forum, there isn't a fan in the area who has anything negative to say about the kid.

I think it's pretty crappy for a bunch of people on a faceless message board to wish that a kid goes to prison. That's just my personal opinion, what do I know.

Sammy*

RUSqueelin said:
I'm not going to write an essay because this topic has been beaten to death. Talk to some Spitfire fans or to people who actually know what went on. I'm sure there are 10 page threads on this from 2 months back. I'm not going to repeat everything over and over again. My point was I find it funny that people have this one sided opinion of what went on because of what they read on a TSN report. Have an objective mind and get the facts.

I didn't like downie before this incident happened, admired his play at the WJ's, and he will be public enemy number one again when he plays my team. Doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and brand him something that he's not.
My problem with the donkey is related solely to sucker crosschecking his teammate in ther face.
Surely you are not denying he did that, are you?

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Jack should have hit him harder so he knows what its like to be on the other end of a cheap shot :yo:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Sammy said:
My problem with the donkey is related solely to sucker crosschecking his teammate in ther face.
Surely you are not denying he did that, are you?

No one is denying that. Downie took the wrong action to rectify a problem. It was the wrong thing to do and he knows it. And he's paying badly for it.

But to hear people combine the whole incident with the "hazing thing" and "an innocent rookie think" etc etc is a shame.

Downie kept quiet, took it on the chin (as you can see by what most people on these boards think of him) and moved on. It looks pretty bad on the Spits organization and the "others" involved when a guy like Downie can take the high road and move on.

BTY - while you may not have done it, if you played on the Spits you would have been awefully tempted to crosscheck Alui in the face also. I hope Alui does well with his second chance and carves out a nice life for himself. Why can't others do the same with Downie?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Panasonic Youth said:
TSN is just as biased as HF sometimes so I'd be very skeptical when reading articles from them. It is a fact that Spitfire fans were sad to see Downie go because he was their playoff MVP from the prior season. This season he's been named to the world junior tournament all-star team, ohl all-star team and on his way to another amazing playoff run. You can go over to gopetesgo.com and check out the forum, there isn't a fan in the area who has anything negative to say about the kid.

I think it's pretty crappy for a bunch of people on a faceless message board to wish that a kid goes to prison. That's just my personal opinion, what do I know.

My thoughts exactly. This thread is absolutely rediculous.

jaydub*

Panasonic Youth said:

Surely you are not suggesting that posters on an internet message board are more reliable than TSN? That would just be hilarious

Okay, the fans were sad to see him go because he is a good player, not because he is a good person. What does this have to do with his behavior? You go on to list his accomplishments - we get it, he is a good player. That is why he was drafted. Whether or not he was on some all star team has nothing to do this thread.

Being good at a sport is not an excuse to behave poorly. :shakehead

Sammy*

RUSqueelin said:
No one is denying that. Downie took the wrong action to rectify a problem. It was the wrong thing to do and he knows it. And he's paying badly for it.

But to hear people combine the whole incident with the "hazing thing" and "an innocent rookie think" etc etc is a shame.

Downie kept quiet, took it on the chin (as you can see by what most people on these boards think of him) and moved on. It looks pretty bad on the Spits organization and the "others" involved when a guy like Downie can take the high road and move on.

BTY - while you may not have done it, if you played on the Spits you would have been awefully tempted to crosscheck Alui in the face also. I hope Alui does well with his second chance and carves out a nice life for himself. Why can't others do the same with Downie?
Fair enough & very good points. As I said before, he just shouldnt have crosschecked the guy i the face (obviously).

Roger's Pancreas*

jaydub said:
Surely you are not suggesting that posters on an internet message board are more reliable than TSN? That would just be hilarious
Okay, the fans were sad to see him go because he is a good player, not because he is a good person. What does this have to do with his behavior? You go on to list his accomplishments - we get it, he is a good player. That is why he was drafted. Whether or not he was on some all star team has nothing to do this thread.

Being good at a sport is not an excuse to behave poorly. :shakehead

To a degree yes I am. If you go back through some of the threads during last years WJC you'll see that some of the posters really called out TSN for their horrible coverage.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Metallian said:
Theo Fleury is a great comparisson.

This guy is a lockerroom cancer, a bully, and just about everything you don't want on your hockey team off the ice.

um...Theo Fleury was an all-star...

Sean Avery would be a little closer IMO

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
STAALed said:
Another Billy Tibbetts waiting to happen (without the r a p e)

Another Billy Tibbets without the r a p e ?
Isn't that a bit like saying "Another Jeffrey Dahmer without the murders"?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
J17ster said:
Well Downie is willing to fight, and appears he is "sorry" for his actions.

but he will NEVER land a babe like Elisha Cuthbert...so it's all even in my books

my point is that he's not an elite talent, and probably be another Darcy Tucker, whether Philly fans want to hear it or not ;)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
arrbez said:
but he will NEVER land a babe like Elisha Cuthbert...so it's all even in my books

my point is that he's not an elite talent, and probably be another Darcy Tucker, whether Philly fans want to hear it or not ;)

Darcy Tucker
41 18 12 30

Id take that any day

MikeyMagic

Jun 22, 2005
If you want on Monday I'll ask some of the Petes who are in my classes at school what they think of Steve. I've heard so many stories from these guys and am sure I can get a good response from them. I mean I hear weird and strange stories from them about each other all the time. Including a very strange Jordan Staal story, that I don't ever want to hear repeated. I have a couple of rookie guys in my english class and I remember just after the Petes got Downie I asked them what they thought and they were pretty scared of the guy and kind of stayed out of his way for a little bit, because they didn't know what he might do after the publicized incident.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Maakala said:
If you want on Monday I'll ask some of the Petes who are in my classes at school what they think of Steve. I've heard so many stories from these guys and am sure I can get a good response from them. I mean I hear weird and strange stories from them about each other all the time. Including a very strange Jordan Staal story, that I don't ever want to hear repeated. I have a couple of rookie guys in my english class and I remember just after the Petes got Downie I asked them what they thought and they were pretty scared of the guy and kind of stayed out of his way for a little bit, because they didn't know what he might do after the publicized incident.

My brother played lacrosse with Downie. Decent guy most of the time, but he can lose it and become a total whack-job in the blink of an eye (which is obviously what happened with Aliu). Hopefully he can gain a little more control as he grows older

mooseOAK*

Downie's line from Saturday's game.

- PBO Downie, 15:46 - Instigator , 2 min (PP)
3 - PBO Downie, 15:46 - Instigator , 2 min (PP)
3 - PBO Downie, 15:46 - Fighting , 5 min
3 - PBO Downie, 15:46 - 10-Minute Misconduct , 0 min
3 - PBO Downie, 15:46 - Game Misconduct , 0 min

Time to get him some professional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->