Injury Report: Downie (concussion) is probable (Nov. 12); Raffl (flu); Newbury sent to AHL (Nov. 10)

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
can someone answer the question as to why it's always Homer that's giving updates on injured players? when on just about every other team in the league it's the coaches job to update injuries. i always found that odd. it's usually the coach who updates on the status of players. you rarely hear from GM's on other teams unless a trade or signing happens. never understood why Homer talks to the media so much when it's not his job too. even when Lavy was here the media would always go to Homer to ask for updates on players. it's so bizarre. anyone know why?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
can someone answer the question as to why it's always Homer that's giving updates on injured players? when on just about every other team in the league it's the coaches job to update injuries. i always found that odd. it's usually the coach who updates on the status of players. you rarely hear from GM's on other teams unless a trade or signing happens. never understood why Homer talks to the media so much when it's not his job too. even when Lavy was here the media would always go to Homer to ask for updates on players. it's so bizarre. anyone know why?

My guess is that neither Lavy nor Berube are as good at lying to the press.

Seriously though... I have no idea. It's a wonky system.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

The Flyers medical staffs innovative treatment mean that only someone who has more spare time to read the reports can understand the injuries and inform the media of the treatment and injury itself. The coaches have to spend too much time neglecting one or several of the major aspects of Hockey for that. Holmgren has all afternoon off after spending the morning trying to trade 2nd rounders or robbing Nashville, Carolina or Columbus.

I mean, how could a coach who spends all week finding new ways for a Powerpley to suck, or how to ensure the team cannot make a breakout pass, possibly have the time to understand the complexities of the 'leave them in a bath until they nearly die' technique, or the 'lump on your neck? Nah, its fine, ignore it' technique of injury treatment? Let alone the complex medical jargon the Flyers use that is 'an upper body injury', and those famous but very complex 'lower body... oh no, concussion.' type injuries.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've always assumed they use vague descriptions like "upper body injury" to describe say, a hand injury, because those are the only terms the team barber/chirugeon uses. So nobody really knows what's actually going on.

I hope they don't leech Downie too much before his first game back while trying to get the rest of the concussion humours out...he might be groggy.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've always assumed they use vague descriptions like "upper body injury" to describe say, a hand injury, because those are the only terms the team barber/chirugeon uses. So nobody really knows what's actually going on.

I hope they don't leech Downie too much before his first game back while trying to get the rest of the concussion humours out...he might be groggy.

I hear they prefer trepanning... I mean, it is the most advanced medicinal practice on earth. And he can wear the removed piece of skull round his neck to ward off evil spirits in the future.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I was under the impression that they got a monkey drunk, spun him around in a office chair, and then made him pin the tail on the medical diagnosis.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
B. Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Hall - Rinaldo
(Rosehill)

Not bad. Let's hope the worst is behind this team moving forward...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
B. Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Hall - Rinaldo
(Rosehill)

Not bad. Let's hope the worst is behind this team moving forward...

Berube has to let it run its course, can't juggle immediately.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Homer gives the updates because he deals with personnel issues. It makes sense. Not all GMs have to deal with media as ravenous as Philly's. In the past, he's said 'day to day' and then someone asks the coach who says '2 weeks' and you've got a pointless controversy. Coach coaches the players he has. GM responds to media about it.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Homer gives the updates because he deals with personnel issues. It makes sense. Not all GMs have to deal with media as ravenous as Philly's. In the past, he's said 'day to day' and then someone asks the coach who says '2 weeks' and you've got a pointless controversy. Coach coaches the players he has. GM responds to media about it.

i don't think media/market has anything to do with it. no media is more intense than in Canada, and in Toronto it's Carlyle that handles the players updates, not Nonis, who is invisible unless there's a trade. same with Vancouver, it's always Torts who updates on the status of players, not Gillis. and it's like that for almost every other team, it's the coach that handles the players, not the GM. Philly is just the odd exception. it just seems weird to see Homer do it when it should be Berube. maybe he should spend less time talking to the media and more time trying to fix this mess.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
i don't think media/market has anything to do with it. no media is more intense than in Canada, and in Toronto it's Carlyle that handles the players updates, not Nonis, who is invisible unless there's a trade. same with Vancouver, it's always Torts who updates on the status of players, not Gillis. and it's like that for almost every other team, it's the coach that handles the players, not the GM. Philly is just the odd exception. it just seems weird to see Homer do it when it should be Berube. maybe he should spend less time talking to the media and more time trying to fix this mess.

Flyers have typically handled injuries a little closer to the vest than other organizations or at least seemingly so. The whole Lindros era it was beyond ridik...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Downie has been great the last two games. So strong on the puck, great defensively, smart passes, hard hits. A welcome addition and much better than Talbot was giving us at any point this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad