News Article: Dougie Hamilton's move to leave Boston miffs Shawn Thornton (See Mod Post 212)

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I think Lou was talking points...not fights.

To be fair, I thought he meant fights too, since the numbers don't add up (34 + 42 = 76, not 79). But that would be a pretty **** fight record, and the "12th F fighter" part wouldn't make sense, so I figured he just got the numbers wrong and did indeed mean points. :laugh:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Reminds almost of Clark Griswald rant in Christmas vacation.

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They DID tell Sanderson he was spending too much time in bars. Many people told him many times. He didn't listen, and his career was cut short.

They said similar things to Middleton, he listened and became a star.

Who knows how many countless other stories there are, but there's no question, IMO, that performance trumps all.

If Espo, Cheevers, etc. put in lackluster efforts and didn'tt win, I'm guessing they wouldn't be held in such high regard.

Yes nhl history is full of guys that let their party life end or cheapen their careers. In the most extreme cases these guys never make nhl at all. One famous case is bryan fogerty who was shattering all of orr's records but party life kept him from making nhl.

A more tragic case is a guy like john kordic.

Derek sanderson held on for a couple years but drinking made him a shell of himself before long.

The peer preasure in nhl often corrects this bad behavior before it destroys the kids but its very easy to see the bad results when things get out of hand.

No one begrudges these players a chance to party. The oiler cup teams were known as the boys on the bus cause they party party party... but not so much it hurt their careers. Same with our guys like esposito and cheevers.

Recently a kid like seguin didnt seem to understand how not to cross the line... it cost him his chance to remain a bruin. This is a very serious matter in the nhl.

If these players want their million dollar jobs they have to accept being responsible role models and be able to do their job when required.

Substance abuse is not acceptable in nhl

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You know, I've heard some stories about the 71 Bruins doing a little too much partying during the playoffs and how it may have contributed to that ****ing loss.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You know, I've heard some stories about the 71 Bruins doing a little too much partying during the playoffs and how it may have contributed to that ****ing loss.

They blew it. They partied themselves out of dynasty talk.

Two Cups with all that talent. Ugh - they were the best team with a loaded farm. They had real bad luck from Orr's knees to Teddy Green to Harry the guy who could control them leaving over chump change to go into private industry (wrap your head around that one folks) and trading the third and fourth overall draft picks in the loaded 1970 draft Reggie Leach (428) and Rick MacLeish (403) who accounted for over 700 NHL regular season goals & 100+ more in the playoffs

Add in expansion WHA and Derek's 'issues' two Cups is a travesty

This was a 10-20 year 5-10? Cup group

Oh and in 1966 with the first overall pick Boston could have picked clear cut number one player Brad Park but because they had Orr they passed to take a guy who played the more traditional his side of the ice game Barry Gibbs

Yes Boston had Bobby Orr at 18 and could have selected Brad Park at 18

Seguin trade times 6 bazillions

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
You must have missed him being disciplined this past season for being late to practice...again.

He may have "matured some", but I'm not sure he's ever going to be "Captain" material?

"We're talking about practice"

Since leaving Boston, Tyler Sequin has scored 74 goals in both seasons and has put up 161 points.
Boston doesn't need a captain. They have a bunch of those bleed black and gold guys. They need scoring and they traded away the best talent in the system due to character issues.

AS IF the other guys don't party. I've seen Thornton drinking it up in bars for crying out loud.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
But you most certainly leave with more than one woman at a time, which Seguin seemed to do often. Once again, a target rich environment. If you were hunting puck bunnies, where would you think to find them, Texas, or a town that has the most famous tournament in college hockey? That is not to say he's not happy in Dallas, but Boston does have it's perks, and young, hockey crazed college women is one of them.
He's a 20 something multi millionaire. I don't think he needs to chase puck honeys. He can branch out.

Frankly...puck honeys are usually unsavory. I'd rather have a beer with them and talk about flanel shirts and John Deere than flirt with them.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He's a 20 something multi millionaire. I don't think he needs to chase puck honeys. He can branch out.

Frankly...puck honeys are usually unsavory. I'd rather have a beer with them and talk about flanel shirts and John Deere than flirt with them.

When there are 250,000 students in Boston, more than half of them women, I can assure you our puck bunnies come in all levels of savoryness. I'm quite sure Seguin would have his pick. Which is the very point I've been trying to make.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Do you realize that Boston is the biggest college town in the freaking world? 40+ schools, all packed with young people taking their first steps out of the nest. Boston has a population of around 650K, of which 250,000 are students!!! No other city in the world can claim this

Fact check time.

Two metros are home to more than one million college students — greater New York City with 1.3 million and greater Los Angeles with nearly 1.1 million. Both of these metros contain multiple major schools, like New York's Columbia University, New York University, and Barnard College and L.A.'s UCLA, USC, and Loyola Marymount University, just to name a few.

Chicago is next with more than 670,000 students, followed by Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, each home to slightly more than 450,000 college students. Boston is next with nearly 400,000 college students.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/08/americas-leading-college-towns/3054/

Even if you don't include "metro areas", NYC still has well over double what Boston does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_New_York_City

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Shawn Thornton at his best was an effective player. At his (and his line's) peak you could see how soul crushing it was to the other team to have this 4th line come on and get chance after chance and keep the puck in the offensive zone for a whole shift. Then boom, the Bergeron or Krejci line would come on and immediately score. It was a weapon (for 2-3 years or so) that few teams could match.

At his worst he was a slow player who had no role any more. Other teams weren't scared of him and his line was no longer a possession demon. To top it all off, he showed a singular, but obscenely glaring, lack of composure, class and sportsmanship in the Orpik incident. It was the kind of play that you just don't do, and lucky for him that it didn't end worse.

In the end he was a good 4th liner but probably gets more accolades than his play actually merits simply because he was a frequent media presence.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Enough with the Seguin talk. Theres thread(s) for that.

Its been hashed, rehashed and triple hashed.

Stick to the subject of the thread.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Fact check time.

Two metros are home to more than one million college students — greater New York City with 1.3 million and greater Los Angeles with nearly 1.1 million. Both of these metros contain multiple major schools, like New York's Columbia University, New York University, and Barnard College and L.A.'s UCLA, USC, and Loyola Marymount University, just to name a few.

Chicago is next with more than 670,000 students, followed by Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, each home to slightly more than 450,000 college students. Boston is next with nearly 400,000 college students.

Even if you don't include "metro areas", NYC still has well over double what Boston does.

Is NYC and all its boroughs? I'd be shocked if any area the size of Harvard Sq to BC had an equal amount of college students. Is that 400000 students in 10 miles?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Is NYC and all its boroughs? I'd be shocked if any area the size of Harvard Sq to BC had an equal amount of college students. Is that 400000 students in 10 miles?

Regardless of what metric you use and even if you include other surrounding areas like cambridge, chestnut hill and brookline as boston, it is not even in the top five cities in the country, much less the world as jgatie claimed.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Regardless of what metric you use and even if you include other surrounding areas like cambridge, chestnut hill and brookline as boston, it is not even in the top five cities in the country, much less the world as jgatie claimed.

My only point is that NYC constitutes 300 sq.miles while Boston-Brookline-Camb-Newton combined are less than 70.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
My only point is that NYC constitutes 300 sq.miles while Boston-Brookline-Camb-Newton combined are less than 70.

For a better comp....Washington dc area is 68 and they're well above boston on the list.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
For a better comp....Washington dc area is 68 and they're well above boston on the list.

Boston is about 43 sq miles but I'm still surprised,maybe it's because of the amount of colleges within 2 miles of each other. Hell within 1/2 mile or so there is Wentworth,Northeastern,Harvard Med,Wheelock,Simmons,Emerson,Newbury,Berkeley,Emmanuel,Boston Conservatory,Mass College of Art,Mass College of Pharmacy.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Fact check time.

Fact check time. New York City has over 10 times the population of Boston and is over 6 times as big in area. Boston's metro area ratio of students to non-students is over 1 in three. New York is around 1 in 8. There are 40+ Schools in metro Boston alone, over 100 in the Boston area.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Fact check time. New York City has over 10 times the population of Boston and is over 6 times as big in area. Boston's metro area ratio of students to non-students is over 1 in three. New York is around 1 in 8. There are 40+ Schools in metro Boston alone, over 100 in the Boston area.

Goal posts successfully moved.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Goal posts successfully moved.

No. I never claimed they had the most students, I claimed they were a big college town. If you had asked me what my definition of a college town is, I'd have told you it means a large proportion of the population is students. But you assumed something else, and were wrong.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No. I never claimed they had the most students, I claimed they were a big college town. If you had asked me what my definition of a college town is, I'd have told you it means a large proportion of the population is students. But you assumed something else, and were wrong.

Lol

And nice per capita delete. Montreal is ahead of boston there too.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
At Conway Arena in Nashua, NH today. I know it's to late to make it there. Seidenberg looked good and, when asked, said his knee was good. Sean looked rerady to go too. Found out Seidenberg comes from the area in Germany where I spent 3 years.

Would have probably signed my kids up for it, but the missus happened to book a vacation for them this week (months ago), so it was a no go. Seems like it was a good time had by all:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533333283490525.1073741836.468123503344837&type=3

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
You know what will kill all of these Seguin discussions?

We draft an elite forward in the top 5 overall with franchise player upside.

Everyone will forget Seguin really quickly with Auston Matthews joining us in 2016. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad