News Article: Dougie Hamilton's move to leave Boston miffs Shawn Thornton (See Mod Post 212)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great article, great guy! He just reaffirms what I already thought.
That Hamilton is, well I'll leave it at that.
That Hayes will be big and a big part of his home town team but he needs to
"stay out of the bar."
That Looch will be missed but the B's won't be that different.
That Smith was/ is fast....

and that Sugar Shawn will always be a Bruin!

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Awesome stuff. I love Sugar. Hope he's in the organization for 30 years after he retires.

Heady praise for the work ethic on the team too:

"He’s going to have to work hard. I’ve talked to him about how the Bruins are built and how good a shape every one is in, from Don Sweeney all the way down. It’s probably the most (in-shape) team I’ve ever been on. It’s going to be a lot of hard work and different for him, but he’s very, very excited to be here"

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
dougie wasnt a dirt dawg blue collar lunch pail player thats his problem should've been more like trot nixon

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He couldn't resist a dig at Tyler :laugh:

• What advice would Thornton give Hayes on playing in Boston?

“Stay out of the bar. You can’t hide here. Don’t be dancing on tables with your shirt off and bottles of vodka in your hand, like somebody else,†Thornton said. “He’ll be going to his coffee shop and he’ll be hearing about his game last night. And that’s completely different from Florida, where you fly under the radar all the time. But he’s from here and he knows that. He’s a smart kid. He’s going to have to work hard. I’ve talked to him about how the Bruins are built and how good a shape every one is in, from Don Sweeney all the way down. It’s probably the most (in-shape) team I’ve ever been on. It’s going to be a lot of hard work and different for him, but he’s very, very excited to be here. It looks like his head’s in te right place last time I talked to him.â€

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Jack is the man

Sometimes! He used to be great all the time but at times now he comes across as obnoxious. I suppose it's when he tries too hard to appear unbiased. I want him biased and taunting the Habs. Not praising Stamkos etc more than the entire Bruins team during a broadcast!

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
He couldn't resist a dig at Tyler :laugh:

It's funny... but also troubling.

If I'm a young guy, why the hell should I "stay out of the bar"?

Why should we expect Hayes to act like he's a 50 year old suburban husband?

If this is the expectation, then perhaps the attitude problem is not entirely one with the younger players.

I love Thornton, but not everyone's idea of a fun night is bingo at the fire hall.

biggles8

Jan 30, 2007
Cape Cod
It's funny... but also troubling.

If I'm a young guy, why the hell should I "stay out of the bar"?

Why should we expect Hayes to act like he's a 50 year old suburban husband?

If this is the expectation, then perhaps the attitude problem is not entirely one with the younger players.

I love Thornton, but not everyone's idea of a fun night is bingo at the fire hall.

True but you're paid millions to represent the organization and the city.
There's literally hundreds of other guys waiting in the wings to take your salary and ice time of you can't be cool . We all saw what that plan got Seguin in Boston.
They won't have it no matter what your skill set is

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Bruins have experienced bar troubles from way back when there was no internet.

You can go to a bar and not be a Turk but still not a wall flower. Depends who you are on the inside or what affirmations you need.

Bruins might just be too sensitive to the bar scene for the players sake.

I don't think it's a bad thing in the end.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
True but you're paid millions to represent the organization and the city.
There's literally hundreds of other guys waiting in the wings to take your salary and ice time of you can't be cool . We all saw what that plan got Seguin in Boston.
They won't have it no matter what your skill set is

They're also 20-something pro athlete with money.

Hell yes, I would be enjoying that completely. There has to be balance. Bars = okay. Top off on the tables = too much.

And representing the team, sure, the city? They're not a politician.

Socializing, going to bars, and drinking is all good. Just not making an ass out of yourself. They just never should be "that guy". That's all.

Zac Rinaldo*

Sometimes! He used to be great all the time but at times now he comes across as obnoxious. I suppose it's when he tries too hard to appear unbiased. I want him biased and taunting the Habs. Not praising Stamkos etc more than the entire Bruins team during a broadcast!

the more biased he is the better he is imo. his whole appeal is being terrible

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So, if someone's not a 19 year old dumbass he's a 50 year old suburban husband.

I was just going to say this :laugh:

Doesn't seem to be much middle ground here? As I was just telling a good friend, all things in moderation. I'm sure what Thornton meant was just to be cool. As other posters have said, you can go out and have a drink with friends/teammates, but not make yourself a spectacle in the process.

Sugar probably already called Marchand :laugh:

Would love to see Thornton work for the B's in some capacity when he retires. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not already a "done deal".

Last edited by a moderator:

Zac Rinaldo*

there are at least 4 numbers in between 19 and 50 that i can think of offhand. i'm sure others will chime in who have more knowledge on the subject, but ya, that's a really black and white picture to paint

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thought this as well.

Intentional dig or not, there's a recent video of someone shirtless, on top of the bar with a bottle of booze but it's a current Bruin, not a former.

It wouldn't shock me is Segs was doing some bar-dancing this summer himself, he was just smart enough (or lucky enough) for it not to get caught on video :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad