News Article: Dougie Hamilton's move to leave Boston miffs Shawn Thornton (See Mod Post 212)

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
I will always be a big Thorty fan. He is the exact type of "Character" guy that helped us win the cup. I sure hope he comes back to Boston in some capacity after his career. Love reading his thoughts on Dougie and Hayes. Really looking forward to this Hayes Kid...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It would've made zero sense to mention it in an argument that didn't apply to them. But you know that.

Considering I actually mentioned the proportion of students in my very first post on the matter, I think the argument very much applied to it. But hey, don't let the "facts" get in the way. :shakehead

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Considering I actually mentioned the proportion of students in my very first post on the matter, I think the argument very much applied to it. But hey, don't let the "facts" get in the way. :shakehead

Wrong again. Your math teachers failed you. That wasn't a proportion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agree completely about Paille. He was a very good disruptive hitter on the fore check. It's a very under appreciated skill too.

Agreed. That's part of the reason I don't mind Rinaldo being brought in (yet)

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I will always be a big Thorty fan. He is the exact type of "Character" guy that helped us win the cup. I sure hope he comes back to Boston in some capacity after his career. Love reading his thoughts on Dougie and Hayes. Really looking forward to this Hayes Kid...

I would have been much happier if thorton had stayed and we let campbell walk instead. Thorton was good on the ice, played his role, was good in the room... he's certainly been missed on that 4th line.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would have been much happier if thorton had stayed and we let campbell walk instead. Thorton was good on the ice, played his role, was good in the room... he's certainly been missed on that 4th line.

The Thornton prior to getting his face caved in by Scott was good. The one after was not. That guy was not missed and not what the 4th line needed...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

game has gotten too quick for a guy like Thorty, undeniable leadership but how long can you keep a great locker room guy who can`t keep up to the play and who`s game where once was effective, was anything but post Scott scrap?

I`ll wait for the easy target Kelly comments now:)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Campbell can PK and win faceoffs. I'm not sorry to see him go, but that alone is more important than whatever Thornton would provide.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Campbell can PK and win faceoffs. I'm not sorry to see him go, but that alone is more important than whatever Thornton would provide.

10 points for at least asking the question. "But can he play hockey?"

Campbell, for all his lost fights was worth more to the team than Thornton ever did. He simply didn't resonate with fans because his losing fights made him inferior.

Forget, defense, shot blocking, faceoffs...can he punch?

Anyways, Thornton is a scrub for mouthing about Bruins...his team dumped him because he wasn't good enough to be a Bruin.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Campbell, for all his lost fights was worth more to the team than Thornton ever did. He simply didn't resonate with fans because his losing fights made him inferior.

Anyways, Thornton is a scrub for mouthing about Bruins...his team dumped him because he wasn't good enough to be a Bruin.
They "dumped him"? I could have sworn he was a free agent and signed ithe richest contract of his career in FLA.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Pretty sure that the ONLY reason Campbell didn't "resonate" with the fans is because he sucked for the better part of two seasons and had no business being in some of the positions Clode used him. I appreciate his contributions to the team, but IMO those pretty much ended 2-3 years ago (same for Thornton, thought Paille was the only Merlot member that was decent in the recent past).

Had ZERO to do with his lack of fighting ability.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Are you really arguing against the truth that the Bruins told him they weren't going to resign him? Jesus, this place loves to rewrite history on an as needed basis just to support nonsensical statements.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/peter-chiarelli-announces-bruins-will-not-re-sign-shawn-thornton-video/

Funny that article starts with " I told him that he was one of the most significant acquisitions we made,” Chiarelli said, 'one, for the role that he plays and two for the person that he is."

Choosing not to resign someone is a long way from "dumping" them- hell what they did with Hamilton was closer to dumping than what they did to Thornton.

And FWIW his contract in FLA was more than he ever got in Boston.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Funny that article starts with "told him that he was one of the most significant acquisitions we made,†Chiarelli said, 'one, for the role that he plays and two for the person that he is."

And FWIW his contract in FLA was more than he ever got in Boston.

And all that is true, but that's not what you said in your first post.

In case you forgot, here it is:

They "dumped him"?

So regardless of your moving of the goal posts, you were splitting hairs over something that was untrue. Yes, Boston dumped him because he was an ineffective player by that point, new contract with FLA aside. If the Bruins had wanted him back, he'd have come back, which is why PC had a meeting to tell him they didn't. That's something that isn't open for argument, despite you trying to do so.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
And all that is true, but that's not what you said in your first post.

In case you forgot, here it is:

So regardless of your moving of the goal posts, you were splitting hairs over something that was untrue. Yes, Boston dumped him because he was an ineffective player by that point, new contract with FLA aside. If the Bruins had wanted him back, he'd have come back, which is why PC had a meeting to tell him they didn't. That's something that isn't open for argument, despite you trying to do so.

Easy tiger. Read through and take a breath.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
game has gotten too quick for a guy like Thorty, undeniable leadership but how long can you keep a great locker room guy who can`t keep up to the play and who`s game where once was effective, was anything but post Scott scrap?

I`ll wait for the easy target Kelly comments now:)

He aged himself off a top team,that's all, and will soon age himself out of the league. He was a valuable Bruin at one time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pretty sure that the ONLY reason Campbell didn't "resonate" with the fans is because he sucked for the better part of two seasons and had no business being in some of the positions Clode used him. I appreciate his contributions to the team, but IMO those pretty much ended 2-3 years ago (same for Thornton, thought Paille was the only Merlot member that was decent in the recent past).

Had ZERO to do with his lack of fighting ability.

Down a goal with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd... yeah Clode was stupid to trot Campbell (and Thornton and whoever) out there.

But even last year he was 53% on faceoffs and was the center on the 2nd unit PK. That doesn't have a TON of value, but it has value. If all he did was that AND won fights you'd be pushing for his number to be retired.:)

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Down a goal with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd... yeah Clode was stupid to trot Campbell (and Thornton and whoever) out there.

But even last year he was 53% on faceoffs and was the center on the 2nd unit PK. That doesn't have a TON of value, but it has value. If all he did was that AND won fights you'd be pushing for his number to be retired.:)

Him losing fights arguably gets him more love than if he'd won them, imo. It shows he's not afraid to stand up for his teammates even though there's a 10% chance he'll win, and a... 30% chance he doesn't lose badly. I love Soupy, I even think he could've made the difference against Chicago (along with some other changes, not that we weren't close to winning that series anyway - heck of a lot more difference than if a Chicago player had squirted water towards one of our players, at least), but Clode is the biggest reason for his decline in people's favour. Also, while it's not a huge cap hit, you could probably get a young guy to provide more in other areas (albeit mayhap less in the areas you've mentioned) for less than 1.5M.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Him losing fights arguably gets him more love than if he'd won them, imo. It shows he's not afraid to stand up for his teammates even though there's a 10% chance he'll win, and a... 30% chance he doesn't lose badly. I love Soupy, I even think he could've made the difference against Chicago (along with some other changes, not that we weren't close to winning that series anyway - heck of a lot more difference than if a Chicago player had squirted water towards one of our players, at least), but Clode is the biggest reason for his decline in people's favour. Also, while it's not a huge cap hit, you could probably get a young guy to provide more in other areas (albeit mayhap less in the areas you've mentioned) for less than 1.5M.

As I said, I was all for letting him go. It was time. I'm just disputing the idea that he "sucked". He was a 4th line player who was good on D and won faceoffs... not good on D like people think Zack Rinaldo is because he racks up meaningless hits, but actually GOOD defensively.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Yep and if I might be so bold, and give some credit to Julien here, that 4th line was, at one time a rare bird, one he could put out there 8-10 mins a night (sometimes more) and not be concerned about them hurting the team defensively, and often, contributing offensively in comparison to other 4th lines at that time

Claude and his staff were one of the first to actually view a 4th line as vital to the overall success, helped in the "wearing down" process of opponents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad