Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Well I kind of hope some team offers him 20 per for 8 years. What could possibly go wrong? and I wouldn't feel bad at all not paying him that.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The new trade market is for Dougie Hamilton. Not a new concept. I've followed the Hamilton free agency situation for multiple years now and I've never seen somebody previously suggest that the Canes should allow all teams open access prior to UFA. It is unusual.

For Edmundson and Hayes I don't remember either original team publicly leaking that the UFA is free game for a trade-and-sign. I know in Edmundson's case that Montreal specifically wanted him early. Can't remember much about Hayes. Neither is near the caliber of player that Hamilton is.
allowing him permission to talk to teams eliminates all but 1 team, I would hardly call that a trade market. The value in this for the hurricanes will come from either proving to hamilton the contract they offered is close to what he would get on the open market or give them the ability to move on earlier and start looking ahead while picking up a mid-late round draft pick

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
The opinions on Seth Jones and Dougie Hamilton are hilarious this off-season.

really is wild.

One player commands the game, and people still think the other plays at the same level

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hamilton even if traded can only sign a 7 year contract as he was still on the canes after the TDL.

so the return is a mid round draft pick so that the team can secure him without waiting and potentially have another team come in with an offer.
Still an asset.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
what city has the best museums? That’s where Dougie is going.
Manhattan, 5 shorts trains stops to Newark BTW, heck he can live in NYC and take the 40 min ride into Jersey
23 Best Museums in New York City

upload_2021-6-14_13-29-26.png

Reactions: Forge

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The opinions on Seth Jones and Dougie Hamilton are hilarious this off-season.

really is wild.

Jones was legitimately bad this year.

Hamilton had two bad games in the playoffs after 3 years of consistently good play and a bunch of overemotional 'Canes fans overreacted for the sake of finding a whipping boy to blame, and let loose the bad takes. And oh boy have there been some stinkers. :laugh:

OTOH the 'Canes board isn't really that divided on this, everyone agrees that paying Hamilton what he could command on the open market will have serious cap ramifications in the future, for me it really depends if you actually think there's a good chance the 'Canes can keep this team together past the UFA crunch in the 24 and 25 offseasons. Assuming Svechnikov and Necas get 3-4 year bridges every core member of the team hits UFA in those years, you give Hamilton 8 million AAV and trade protection and that sets the bar for the rest of the team. Pesce demands that at a minimum, Slavin demands more. If you think it's going to fall apart then anyway, you may as well sign him and go balls to the wall for these last 3-4 post seasons before Slavin goes to Colorado or Chicago, Aho to Montreal and Pesce to his brother's bar.

Also ftr, the point of the museum thing wasn't that it was a bad thing Hamilton was using his free airfare and per diem to do touristy things, it's that the rest of the team would go to a restaurant for lunch while he'd go do his own thing. IIRC it was Gaudreau who said that, he just phrased it or was quoted poorly/hilariously.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
allowing him permission to talk to teams eliminates all but 1 team, I would hardly call that a trade market. The value in this for the hurricanes will come from either proving to hamilton the contract they offered is close to what he would get on the open market or give them the ability to move on earlier and start looking ahead while picking up a mid-late round draft pick

All but 2 teams as all indications so far have been that Hamilton would probably sign in Carolina if they matched Team X's offer. That would be up to the Canes then.

In the event of a sign-and-trade or trade-and-sign I think that pick would be closer to a 2nd or 3rd. Higher for the 8th year option.

There is also the possibility that a team who wants to sign Hamilton may also have to shed money of which the Canes could facilitate. Let's say hypothetically that the Florida Panthers would offer Hamilton the best contract and Carolina would also be willing to take back Yandle (who would waive his NMC) plus assets. It just opens up other options.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Jones was legitimately bad this year.

Hamilton had two bad games in the playoffs after 3 years of consistently good play and a bunch of overemotional 'Canes fans overreacted for the sake of finding a whipping boy to blame, and let loose the bad takes. And oh boy have there been some stinkers. :laugh:

OTOH the 'Canes board isn't really that divided on this, everyone agrees that paying Hamilton what he could command on the open market will have serious cap ramifications in the future, for me it really depends if you actually think there's a good chance the 'Canes can keep this team together past the UFA crunch in the 24 and 25 offseasons. Assuming Svechnikov and Necas get 3-4 year bridges every core member of the team hits UFA in those years, you give Hamilton 8 million AAV and trade protection and that sets the bar for the rest of the team. Pesce demands that at a minimum, Slavin demands more. If you think it's going to fall apart then anyway, you may as well sign him and go balls to the wall for these last 3-4 post seasons before Slavin goes to Colorado or Chicago, Aho to Montreal and Pesce to his brother's bar.

Also ftr, the point of the museum thing wasn't that it was a bad thing Hamilton was using his free airfare and per diem to do touristy things, it's that the rest of the team would go to a restaurant for lunch while he'd go do his own thing. IIRC it was Gaudreau who said that, he just phrased it or was quoted poorly/hilariously.

I'm pretty adamant, I will say, in my opinion that paying Hamilton is the right move. We have one of the best farms in the league, but the vast bulk of our NHL-ready prospects are forwards, and developing new defensive prospects takes time. Having an expensive defense to support our farm system seems like the right way to do business until the young horses arrive.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Enough that his asking price makes me uncomfortable. Defensively, when he's on he's serviceable. Won't shut anyone down

Point and Kucherov combined for 1 ES point in 5 games playing against Slavin/Hamilton.

Does this not constitute "shutting [someone] down"?

will get beat on on higher skilled plays

His main defensive problem is on broken plays. If he's playing with someone he has good chemistry with, in a system he knows, he's fine (and actually pretty good- but the crux of this entire thing is you want a bit more than 'pretty good' for 8 mil AAV). Hamilton's worst time in Carolina was his first 40 games when he was getting to know the system and know Slavin. The one point scored above stemmed from a broken play because Aho/Teravainen fled the zone early and Hamilton did not read this in time leading to basically a 2 on 1 in the space of a second. It's why Hamilton works well with Slavin, someone who doesn't f*** up often.

He also doesn't use his body like some people would like a 6'6 guy to do, but that's much more a YMMV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad