Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Carolina's team is so deep where I don't think losing Dougie would kill them. It would hurt, but I think they could survive it.

Getting value in a potential sign and trade would be a great move.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina's team is so deep where I don't think losing Dougie would kill them. It would hurt, but I think they could survive it.

There are a few problems with the depth.
1) none of the defensemen the Canes have can do what Dougie does. Period.
2) Canes already traded Fleury away and will likely lose one of Bean or Skjei in the expansion draft. That could mean losing 3 defensemen from the start of the season.
3) The only RHD the Canes have that could be NHL ready is Keane, so they'd be left with Pesce and Keane on the RHD side.

Their dept is LHD: Slavin, Skjei, Bean, Gardiner, Sellgren, Fitzgerald, Gelinas

Losing Dougie and not getting some sort of replacement will hurt more than most would think IMO, particularly losing another D in the ED.

EDIT: I say this in a vacuum without understanding what other moves they make at Forward and Goalie.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Interesting. Doesn’t exactly rule out a return to Carolina. I respect the Canes tactic here.
If anything, it could just be due dilligence by Carolina. "Here's our offer. Go on out, talk to other teams, see if there is a better offer for you elsewhere. If there isn't, let's sign this contract and keep you in Carolina".

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

It is an interesting move and if a true sign and trade happened where the new team gets him for 8-years, it would a huge precedent that could have some huge ramifications going forward. First and foremost, it would add credence to the mythic sign and trade "wished upon" by HF homers to somehow get some value on losing a valuable asset. This place is already insufferable, I shudder.

A 6'5 RHD with his skillset and proven top pair ability at his age, that's shopping at Tiffany's for a d-man in UFA. The conditions are there for it to happen.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's also the possibility he doesn't want to live in Carolina

Sure, anything's possible. But usually if there's not a fit with the team, location, coach, etc, there's rumors about the player being disgruntled. Smoke before the fire, you know. But there's been none of that.

Every indication is that this is a difference in contract value. Dougie thinks some team will offer him a Pieterangelo-like deal, and he's probably right. Carolina won't though, because he's not a Pieterangelo-like player for us

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

It would make it difficult for them to make the next step.

It kind of feels like it could be the St. Louis situation where you made a move beforehand (Faulk/Skjei) and you might make a move after (Krug/??), but that you're probably worse off than if you just bit the bullet and paid the top guy (Pietrangelo/Hamilton). Yes, you have other quality D (Parayko/Slavin and Pesce), but You're not really better, not using your space better and not taking advantage of the window in front of you.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If anything, it could just be due dilligence by Carolina. "Here's our offer. Go on out, talk to other teams, see if there is a better offer for you elsewhere. If there isn't, let's sign this contract and keep you in Carolina".

exactly. Obviously you don’t want to lose your guy but it’s not a bad strategy. Especially in a cap world and if he can come to an agreement with a team Carolina can potentially get an asset without losing him for nothing.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Canes fans, how would you break down Hamilton's game? e.g.
Ekblad
Offensive skills.....Top Pair Quality
Defensive skills.....Top Pair Quality
Power Play Skills.....Ideal PPQB
Shooting.....Elite
Skating.....Below Average
IQ.....Above Average
Consistency.....Average
Discipline.....Average
Overall Categorization.....Two-Way 1D with a Steady Game

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Not sure how that raises the cost for someone else though. If Dougie says "Ok, Buffalo is offering me X so you need to match it", I'm guessing teams will just call his bluff as they would know there's no chance in hell.

Yeah no UFA woud ever sign with crappy Buffalo just for the sake of $. Except Hall. And Okposo. And Leino. And Erhoff. Ok, but only Buffalo! No UFA would ever sign with a bottom end team just for more money and give up any chance of winning! Look how successful all the teams are that sign the most expensive UFAs. Well I mean except all the Stanley Cup winners, they rarely have the most expensive UFA signings. But that's a fluke. THIS is the year UFAs put winning ahead of dollars. Totally.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It is an interesting move and if a true sign and trade happened where the new team gets him for 8-years, it would a huge precedent that could have some huge ramifications going forward. First and foremost, it would add credence to the mythic sign and trade "wished upon" by HF homers to somehow get some value on losing a valuable asset. This place is already insufferable, I shudder.

A 6'5 RHD with his skillset and proven top pair ability at his age, that's shopping at Tiffany's for a d-man in UFA. The conditions are there for it to happen.
Just like happens in the NBA.. Not the worst thing in the world honestly.. Will be interesting to see how this experiment goes.. (Boom is a Pastability (sorry Pasta))

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
exactly. Obviously you don’t want to lose your guy but it’s not a bad strategy. Especially in a cap world and if he can come to an agreement with a team Carolina can potentially get an asset without losing him for nothing.
Hamilton even if traded can only sign a 7 year contract as he was still on the canes after the TDL.

so the return is a mid round draft pick so that the team can secure him without waiting and potentially have another team come in with an offer.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ekblad
Shooting.....Elite
IQ.....Above Average
Consistency.....Average
Discipline.....Average

Offensive skills: Top Pair quality. An "elite" goal scorer as a defensemen, good offensive instincts, anticipates well, and an above average passer.
Defensive skills: 2nd pairing quality. He's best when paired with a solid defensive partner (Slavin, Chara, etc..) so he is free to be aggressive offensively and play to his strengths.
Power Play Skills: Good. Not a PPQB in the traditional sense, but passes well and has an elite shot that teams have to respect.
Shooting: Elite. Over the past 3 years (since in Carolina), Hamilton has more goals than any other defenseman in the NHL. Over the past 5 years, only Burns (who has 76G in 372 games) has more goals than Hamilton (72 in 347 games). There are only 4 other defensemen within 10 goals of Hamilton over that stretch (Josi, Werenski, Pietrangelo, Hedman).
Skating: Below Average. Not overly fast, but makes up for a lot of it with his long reach.
IQ: I'd say Above average. Very good offensively, less so defensively.
Consistency: Average. There are times where he seems lackadaisical
Discipline: Below Average. Takes a lot of penalties.
Overall Categorization: Offensive minded top pairing D when paired with a defensive minded partner. Elite shot and drives offense when on the ice.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Ekblad
Shooting.....Elite
IQ.....Above Average
Consistency.....Average
Discipline.....Average
Offensive skills.....Elite
Shooting.....Elite
Skating..... Average
IQ.....Above Average
Consistency.....Average
Discipline.....Below Average
Overall Categorization.....Offensive Top Pair D with occasional defensive lapses in concentration

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Offensive skills: Top Pair quality. An "elite" goal scorer as a defensemen, good offensive instincts, anticipates well, and an above average passer.
Defensive skills: 2nd pairing quality. He's best when paired with a solid defensive partner (Slavin, Chara, etc..) so he is free to be aggressive offensively and play to his strengths.
Power Play Skills: Good. Not a PPQB in the traditional sense, but passes well and has an elite shot that teams have to respect.
Shooting: Elite. Over the past 3 years (since in Carolina), Hamilton has more goals than any other defenseman in the NHL. Over the past 5 years, only Burns (who has 76G in 372 games) has more goals than Hamilton (72 in 347 games). There are only 4 other defensemen within 10 goals of Hamilton over that stretch (Josi, Werenski, Pietrangelo, Hedman).
Skating: Below Average. Not overly fast, but makes up for a lot of it with his long reach.
IQ: I'd say Above average. Very good offensively, less so defensively.
Consistency: Average. There are times where he seems lackadaisical
Discipline: Below Average. Takes a lot of penalties.
Overall Categorization: Offensive minded top pairing D when paired with a defensive minded partner. Elite shot and drives offense when on the ice.
I could have said this in a far worse way :) thanks to @Boom Boom Apathy for not exposing my lack of writing talent.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah no UFA woud ever sign with crappy Buffalo just for the sake of $. Except Hall. And Okposo. And Leino. And Erhoff. Ok, but only Buffalo! No UFA would ever sign with a bottom end team just for more money and give up any chance of winning! Look how successful all the teams are that sign the most expensive UFAs. Well I mean except all the Stanley Cup winners, they rarely have the most expensive UFA signings. But that's a fluke. THIS is the year UFAs put winning ahead of dollars. Totally.

I never said he wouldn't sign with Buffalo. The poster I was responding to with that comment gave this hypothetical:

The Pegulas will jump in with no chance in hell of him signing in Buffalo and raise the cost for someone else.

My comment was that strictly in regards to his/her hypothetical scenario. I was essentially saying, that if there was no chance in hell of signing him (like that poster suggested), that I don't see how it would affect the price.

So how about you take up your beef with that poster vs. being snarky to me without understand the full context. ;)

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The reason these sign and trades don't happen very often, particularly once the offseason starts is because it just relies on a lot of things needing to go right to make it fit, when there is limited risk/issue letting him just get to UFA in a month from now and signing him then. Mark Stone at the deadline makes sense since there is simply way more risk that a player or team changes their mind between the deadline-UFA (based on play, injury, etc).

Dougie would want an 8th year to maximize $$$ whereas teams would want the 8th year to spread out the $$$ and keep the AAV lower. Ultimately when you put the two together were talking about $5-8M additional to the player on a contract that is probably going to be 60M+. Not insignficant, but are the player and team rushing to get that down a month before UFA opens?

It can work though - it really depends if DH is just looking to maximize $$$. I bet he wants 8M+ but he probably only would want to go to a couple of teams. That makes it much harder to figure out a sign and trade.

I suspect he gets a reasonable offer from a team he likes, brings it to Carolina who doesn't match it, but ups their offer to be more competitive, then he signs with Carolina.

Reactions: DaveG

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't really see why a team would trade for him. If he wants to sign there now is that much going to change in a month? Seems like a waste of an asset.

Seems like a good move by Carolina though. He goes out sees what's there and there is potential that he just comes back and signs sooner. Gives you a faster start to the off-season knowing where your biggest UFA stands. Can adjust your plans before free agency if you realize he isn't coming back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm trying to imagine what kind of trade value a team would assign to locking him in early with potentially an 8th year.

Would a team like Florida, Edmonton, or Winnipeg give up their late 1st? Maybe some team has a player swap in mind?
A late first isn't that much to lock up a player of that magnitude.

Oops, apparently he will not be able to get an 8th year with an acquiring team? Is that true?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad