Proposal: Dougie Hamilton

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Dougie Hamilton puts up 43 points in 82 games playing on a team with a top 10 offense and plenty of people think he is the answer to the Red Wings problems.

There isn't a single person who's called him 'the answer to the Red Wings problems.' Jesus. Almost every post you've made in this thread has been an outright lie about what other people have said or expressed. What a joke.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
There isn't a single person who's called him 'the answer to the Red Wings problems.' Jesus. Almost every post you've made in this thread has been an outright lie about what other people have said or expressed. What a joke.

You've really zeroed in on the problem.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

So people want to trade a bunch of good assets and receive a 5 million cap hit for a guy on a long term contract who doesn't even solve the Wings problems on the back end? Even worse.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
So people want to trade a bunch of good assets and receive a 5 million cap hit for a guy on a long term contract who doesn't even solve the Wings problems on the back end? Even worse.

who solves our problems and is available then? We have to start with small changes.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
who solves our problems and is available then? We have to start with small changes.

Being a good hockey team isn't about solving problems in the same way that piloting a successful ship doesn't mean having a completely watertight vessel.

The goal is to be able to bail more water than leaks in.

The teams that do that over time stay afloat and are good. The teams that fail sink beneath the waves.

In other words, there is no 'solving'. All there is, is mitigating weaknesses as much as possible.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Also, remember that time with Tyler Seguin and that time GMPC signed stupid deals to guys like Kelly, Seidenberg and Thornton because of some misbegotten sense of identity as opposed to skill. The same contracts that made it so they couldn't actually afford to SIGN Hamilton who also didn't want to play in Boston anymore?

Seidenberg contract was great at the time. He was at that time a really good #2 d-man on a team that just got to a hard-fought Stanley Cup Finals. He was 32 years old which isn't brutal for a d-man by any means, contract ran until age 37. Of course he's had major injuries since that have made him less than an effective top 4 guy, making a buyout necessary, but unless you're Nostradamus, you're not taking that into account when signing a great player. Kelly I'll give you, overpaid for past performances. Thornton got 1.1M playing on a great 4th line. 500k over league minimum doesn't force anyone out. Maybe slightly overpaid for past performances too (still paid 767k average over his years with the Bruins, so not exactly a huge chunk).

I would be surprised if Calgary deals Dougie, especially after getting his brother on the team, etc. Stranger things have happened, though. I don't think he's a better player than Nyquist at this point. D-men carry more value, of course, and he's younger with a lot of space to grow - though I'm waiting for signs that he is... but if the opportunity arises, the gamble may prove worth it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The problem about the search for a D is that each rumored deal was too high a price for the caliber of player combined with cap hit that was returning. Phaneuf would have been a bad deal. Myers would have been a bad deal. Bouwmeesster would have been a bad deal. But when you don't do anything or just pay Kyle Quincey 4.25M and roll with that D, it's equally bad.

If you look at each trade, you can see why it wasn't made. But in aggregate that doesn't help address a problem. I can understand the reticence about dealing three or four quality assets for a Trouba, a Fowler or an Edler. But again, you're at the point you almost have to.

The last thing though... is that other teams KNOW the Wings need defense. GMs can see the roster. Therefore, they control the market because they have the asset that Detroit simply has to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad