Speculation: Dougie Hamilton Negotiations (Pt. 2)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Every extra dollar they are willing to increase on a long-term deal for Hamilton effectively needs to be tripled as this deal sets the floor for Slavin and a target for Pesce. One of the strengths of Carolina's defense has always been their cost effectiveness and max contract $$.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Every extra dollar they are willing to increase on a long-term deal for Hamilton effectively needs to be tripled as this deal sets the floor for Slavin and a target for Pesce. One of the strengths of Carolina's defense has always been their cost effectiveness and max contract $$.
That's future Carolina's problem, and those guys suck.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So it sounds like NJ is guaranteeing Dougie $63m with a 9x7 contract.

Unlikely we'd outbid ourselves by giving him 8x8. My guess is we make a proposal that comes somewhere in the $55-60m total range. 7.5x8 is a guaranteed $60m, but we have to eat that last year.

It's still plausible that he could stay if the money is comparable and that extra $3m -- which is only a 5% difference -- is the price of staying with a contender.

We'll see.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So it sounds like NJ is guaranteeing Dougie $63m with a 9x7 contract.

Unlikely we'd outbid ourselves by giving him 8x8. My guess is we make a proposal that comes somewhere in the $55-60m total range. 7.5x8 is a guaranteed $60m, but we have to eat that last year.

It's still plausible that he could stay if the money is comparable and that extra $3m -- which is only a 5% difference -- is the price of staying with a contender.

We'll see.
Its also EASILY the cost of being taxed in NJ vs NC

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Giving Dougie 8 years would be the team hitching their wagon to him. I'd be happy to get it done and just move on but making your franchise cornerstone Hamilton is a gamble.

Half the anonymous GM comments on Hamilton say he's not a guy that will win you a Cup. I'd love to see him prove that wrong in Carolina but it makes me nervous as hell. One more bad Playoffs and it starts getting a bit stuffy. Two more bad Playoffs in a row and you have to start hoping a bottom feeder will take $7-8 million x 6 years for pennies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad