Value of: Doughty to the Jets - Mod Warning Post #20

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
My bad, I misunderstood your point and I still am unsure of it. I don't know what's being "debated" here. Thought you were trying to make comparisons of the two players. Other than they both shoot R, there isn't a comparison.

There is zero debate on DD being better then Trouba. The debate is what would the difference between Trouba and DD cost to upgrade to DD, could the Jets make that work cap wise and are they a better team in the short & long run depending on the players changing teams.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
There is zero debate on DD being better then Trouba. The debate is what would the difference between Trouba and DD cost to upgrade to DD, could the Jets make that work cap wise and are they a better team in the short & long run depending on the players changing teams.

Got it.

It seems like team's windows to win are getting much shorter. If the Jets are close, they make a deal like this to win a cup knowing that they'd have 2-3 years before they hit the "restart" button. Not unlike what's happening in LA and Chicago. But they won cups and it was amazing.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Nope. Try again. It does not start with a guy on his ELC.. It starts with Myers or Buff.... Cuz the salary cap is Real and Doughty is making 2 much for the Jets to take on without sending the same back.

The reality with Doughty is 1. Hes not waiving 2. He seriously just signed his extension.. 3. His cap hit is too high for the Jets and honestly most teams.. This is not a during the season type trade.. If It is.. Kings eat a ton of that contract
Its starts with Laine and then add cap dumps to deal with Jets cap.If Kings are retaining salary on Doughtys contract then Jets add more.This is why I believe Jets and Kings make bad trading partners,Jets cant give up what it take to make it work and Kings arent giving Doughty away as charity.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Got it.

It seems like team's windows to win are getting much shorter. If the Jets are close, they make a deal like this to win a cup knowing that they'd have 2-3 years before they hit the "restart" button. Not unlike what's happening in LA and Chicago. But they won cups and it was amazing.

In theory yes I agree about trading possibly pieces more in the future stage at this point and won’t help us win now. But when people talk about trading Trouba & Ehlers or Laine+ these pieces are what makes a contender now and if trading them away to get DD then it becomes more of a lateral move which is not helpful. Likely in reality it would be a combo of both realities.....one core piece plus futures......otherwise it quickly becomes a lateral move that just makes the Jets older without necessarily increasing our chances of winning a cup.

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Its starts with Laine and then add cap dumps to deal with Jets cap.If Kings are retaining salary on Doughtys contract then Jets add more.This is why I believe Jets and Kings make bad trading partners,Jets cant give up what it take to make it work and Kings arent giving Doughty away as charity.

In what world do you live in...

Fantasy land im assuming. Jets dont trade Laine for an 11 million plus a year D man they dont need

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The very last thing the Jets can afford is an $11 million Drew Doughty. With Laine needing a big contract.

That will be tough sure.

But If Trouba and Myers contract is gone next year.
Then Kulikov and Perrault.
There is some room.

In the end if your chance of winning a cup now and next year increases significantly. You need to do it.

Doughty is to good to pass up.

But in reality it will prbably not happen though.
So hope Trouba signs still next year even for 2 to 3 years with the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The main piece in this hypothetical will never be Trouba. If you are not giving up Laine, you do not get DD. Give to get. Nobody wants the Jets perpetual 25th picks.

OK, go on down to the basement paying DD 11 mil. You have zero chance of getting Laine.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Realistically this is too big of a deal to get done. LA rightfully wants the world for Doughty but there is no way Winnipeg pays prices like Trouba, Connor, and 1st+ for him. Connor is going to top out near a point per game player (he might end up being the best of the Jets young stars; his progression has been incredible and his consistency is vet-like) and while Doughty is better than Trouba, he's also older and more expensive. Never mind adding more to Trouba and Connor.

Never mind adding Connor to Trouba. As you say Doughty is better than Trouba but also older and more expensive. Those factors alone even out the deal.

Edit: Meant to say that Jets could add - just not even close to Connor.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad