Value of: Doughty to the Jets - Mod Warning Post #20

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Doughty an incremental upgrade over Trouba?

Good lord, have you compared their resumes? Trouba is closer to Tyler Myers than he is to Doughty.
Do you have any facts to back up your outlandish statement? Like maybe some stats that show the Kings score way more with Doughty on the ice than the Jets do with Trouba? Or that he prevents way more goals?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No....no i wouldn't.
I would...Right now ,subtracting Reilly and adding Doughty would be Ok by me! Willy isn't playing anyway and even though Morgan is off to a phenomenal start,I could see Drew having an upswing in stats by being on the ice with the likes of Matthews,Marner,JT,etc.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Do you have any facts to back up your outlandish statement? Like maybe some stats that show the Kings score way more with Doughty on the ice than the Jets do with Trouba? Or that he prevents way more goals?

Are you serious? Try watching hockey outside of Winnipeg. Judging by your response, you're completely clueless about Doughty.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Are you serious? Try watching hockey outside of Winnipeg. Judging by your response, you're completely clueless about Doughty.
I love the world today. "You don't agree with my opinion that I can't back up with facts, so you're stupid/crazy/lying/trolling."

This is why we don't have flying cars yet.

Reactions: Snowman

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I love the world today. "You don't agree with my opinion that I can't back up with facts, so you're stupid/crazy/lying/trolling."

This is why we don't have flying cars yet.

I guess being a top defensemen on Gold medal winning Olympic teams, two Stanley Cup winning teams, a Norris Trophy and multiple Norris Trophy nominations and consistently being one of the top defensemen and ice time leaders year after year is something I must’ve imagined Doughty doing.

All that is just incremental to Trouba’s accomplishments, right?

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Trading for someone like Doughty would be really risky for the Jets. Look at it from his POV - he has his Cups, he has his money, and going from LA to Winnipeg. What would be his incentive to be the top 5 player he can be?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Trading for someone like Doughty would be really risky for the Jets. Look at it from his POV - he has his Cups, he has his money, and going from LA to Winnipeg. What would be his incentive to be the top 5 player he can be?
Maybe to try to fill all his fingers in 1 hand with rings?

That is a really good motivation :)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
It starts with Laine and add.

Nope. Try again. It does not start with a guy on his ELC.. It starts with Myers or Buff.... Cuz the salary cap is Real and Doughty is making 2 much for the Jets to take on without sending the same back.

The reality with Doughty is 1. Hes not waiving 2. He seriously just signed his extension.. 3. His cap hit is too high for the Jets and honestly most teams.. This is not a during the season type trade.. If It is.. Kings eat a ton of that contract

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I guess being a top defensemen on Gold medal winning Olympic teams, two Stanley Cup winning teams, a Norris Trophy and multiple Norris Trophy nominations and consistently being one of the top defensemen and ice time leaders year after year is something I must’ve imagined Doughty doing.

A trade like this would have to be based on future performance, not past accomplishments. Take a bit of time to learn more about Trouba's performance over the past few years based on a range of offensive and defensive metrics and you'll realize that he is a very good first pairing D, and at his age has a lot of his peak years ahead of him.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
There is no way the draft and develop team is trading their young drafted and developed players for a guy who would put us in legit cap hell. Not only would we be forced to move our younger guys but also other casualties just due to Doughtys future cap hit. There is no deal here. None.

Doughty Wheeler Buff = damn near 25 million dollars per.. Actually over.

No deal here.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

So you just don't want to look at the stats or you did and you realize they don't say what you want them to say? You can spout off about things that happened once upon a time, but we're talking about the value of what's likely to happen in future. Resumes don't mean much at all. I can't win last year's cup. Keeping in mind that you're talking about Trouba + 30g 30a rookie season, top 10 all-time rookie NCAA scoring Kyle Connor (with a plus on top!) and not just (cheaper and way younger than Doughty) Trouba on his own, it's interesting that Tableau head to heads give Trouba a slight edge over Doughty overall for 2017-18 + 2018-19.

I wanna win right now. I'd be willing to give you more than Doughty is worth. I'm just not willing to give you the price for Doughty + Carter, not get Carter, get older, AND take on cap!

I'm probably being unreasonable in saying you're being unreasonable.

Also, I'm not sure you know what 'incremental' means, because that's not how you use it.

Last edited:

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010

Doughty is one of the most fiercely competitive players I've ever watched. You can tell by his play and the way he interviews that winning is all he cares about it. Its totally what drives him

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Doughty is one of the most fiercely competitive players I've ever watched. You can tell by his play and the way he interviews that winning is all he cares about it. Its totally what drives him
I agree with all of the words you said. I'm making assumptions about what you mean by them and I don't agree with many of those things.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Stats?

Trouba has played a full season once (well 81 gms in 15-16) and 21 playoff games. High of 33 points that same season. Has hit 10 goal mark once, his rookie season. High of 25 assists.

Doughty hasn't missed a game in 5 years. Out produces Trouba in every season even though he's played on a defense heavy system. Has hit the 10+ goal mark in 7 of 10 seasons played. Has eclipsed 25 assists in 8 of 10 seasons, with a high of 50 last year.

Trouba is a very good dman, he's excellent. He's not as good as Doughty.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stats?

Trouba has played a full season once (well 81 gms in 15-16) and 21 playoff games. High of 33 points that same season. Has hit 10 goal mark once, his rookie season. High of 25 assists.

Doughty hasn't missed a game in 5 years. Out produces Trouba in every season even though he's played on a defense heavy system. Has hit the 10+ goal mark in 7 of 10 seasons played. Has eclipsed 25 assists in 8 of 10 seasons, with a high of 50 last year.

Bolded.....no one suggesting they are equal.....not sure what your point was

broc

Dec 20, 2010
The problem with a trade like this is, people sometimes only look at players. Yes Doughty is top 5 D in the league still. Will he be for the term of his contract? No.

Also his humongous cap hit is literally hurtful to the majority of teams to accept. Do you accep Doughty and have to trade 3 core pieces away because you can’t afford them? Not to mention the core pieces you trade to even acquire him.

he’s gonna decline halfway into that contract (or even earlier), and then his contract becomes an anchor. If I was 24 year old Drew it might be worth it. But not when half his contract will be worth it, and the 2nd half not.

Those things make it a little harder to accept, and to pay gigantic prices for.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Stats?

Is Trouba deployed in the same way as Doughty? Does he play the same minutes? Is he as far along in his career and is "is Trouba is as good as Doughty" the question being debated here?

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Is Trouba deployed in the same way as Doughty? Does he play the same minutes? Is he as far along in his career and is "is Trouba is as good as Doughty" the question being debated here?

My bad, I misunderstood your point and I still am unsure of it. I don't know what's being "debated" here. Thought you were trying to make comparisons of the two players. Other than they both shoot R, there isn't a comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad