Value of: Doughty to the Jets - Mod Warning Post #20

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Is the difference between Doughty and Trouba really Connor though?
ugh...yeah he's arguably the best in the league...If I were the Kings I rightfully wouldn't take anything less than Laine+. You aren't getting one of the best D in the league for quantity it isn't a Karlsson situation. Anyone who thinks they just want picks for him is dreaming. If a team has trouble fitting him under their cap then the Kings aren't going to lower his price for you LOL.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
ugh...yeah he's arguably the best in the league...If I were the Kings I rightfully wouldn't take anything less than Laine+. You aren't getting one of the best D in the league for quantity it isn't a Karlsson situation. Anyone who thinks they just want picks for him is dreaming. If a team has trouble fitting him under their cap then the Kings aren't going to lower his price for you LOL.

There isn’t a single player on the Kings worth Laine +.

Reactions: Snowman

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Maybe not to you but to the Kings and the people who value the best defensemans and centers in the league as the best assets in the league will....there is more to it than youth...and Laine is getting paid for like 10 million long term soon anyway so there is not that much difference in cap down the road anyway but keep thinking what you want.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Maybe not to you but to the Kings and the people who value the best defensemans and centers in the league as the best assets in the league will....there is more to it than youth...and Laine is getting paid for like 10 million long term soon anyway so there is not that much difference in cap down the road anyway but keep thinking what you want.

Okay. I’ll keep thinking what I want. The best center in the league (McDavid) is obviously worth Laine +. Kopitar is not.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

In fairness DD is worth roughly Laine purely on value......but the problem with that deal is it will continually get get more and more in favour of the Kings and less in favour of the Jets......DD is closing in on 30 soon.....Mother Nature effects everyone. Anyone signed into their mid to late 30's you know the last 1-3 years you aren't getting full value & at times some players become negative value.

Like you, no chance I would trade a very young Laine for DD

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'm not all in on bringing Doughty to the Jets, but considering the current circumstances between both these teams it'd make sense that the Jets traded for Doughty.

The reason I say this is because LA is not looking too good, but for all I know they could be a wild card team again by all-star break, but reason being is because Doughty is the player that only wants to compete. Yes, he did sign a big extension with the Kings, but I do recall him saying, 'I don't care where I am, I just want cups.' Winnipeg could use him for the experience for the Jets and I do agree he's a good player.

I would imagine Trouba being the centrepiece of the deal that would send Doughty to Winnipeg. But this is my take:

LA:
1st 2019
Jacob Trouba
Eric Comrie
Dmitri Kulikov
Conditional 1st 2020
Conditional 2nd 2020

Winnipeg:
Drew Doughty

Winnipeg might have to add in order for LA to retain Doughty's salary.
What are your conditions on the two picks?

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
The jets have one of the top RHD in the game so trading for one doesn't really makes sense, would make more sense for the to trade for one of the premium LHD in the league

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Doughty nay be an upgrade on Rielly, but not a Nylander sized upgrade. Oh....and the cap is a thing.

Cap is a thing, but here's where you are wrong, Nylander isn't playing for you...probably won't be more than likely will be traded....

So you wouldn't upgrade to Doughty because of what...cap space? Interesting....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Cap is a thing, but here's where you are wrong, Nylander isn't playing for you...probably won't be more than likely will be traded....

So you wouldn't upgrade to Doughty because of what...cap space? Interesting....
Nylander will sign. And moving Rielly for Doughty still leaves holes on D. If we are trading Nylander....deal him for a D (even Pesce) and keep Rielly.

Edit: i apologize, this isn't a Leafs thread...i will back away.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Nylander will sign. And moving Rielly for Doughty still leaves holes on D. If we are trading Nylander....deal him for a D (even Pesce) and keep Rielly.

Edit: i apologize, this isn't a Leafs thread...i will back away.

LOL I was comparing Reilly and Nylander to Trouba and Connor, with the difference being, Connor is actually playing,

But I don't think Nylander will sign..

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Then you are either lying to yourself, or you don't think Doughty is an upgrade on Reilly...either one is possible, I think both might be true....
I'm going to start by saying the Leafs are one of the few teams that I specifically cheer against so that you understand that any good thing I say about them makes me hate myself a little.
Morgan Rielly is currently 8th in scoring in the NHL. Among all players, not just defencemen. He's on pace for 100 points from the blueline. I don't remember the last time that happened. Soak that in for a second. 100. And he actually plays a decent defensive game.

Now, for posterity's sake, let's recall that the guy you're replying to is replying to your suggestion that Doughty is worth Rielly PLUS Nylander. He didn't say that Rielly is worth more than Doughty. But actually, if the way Rielly is playing now is the way he's going to play going forward and not just an insane hot streak, yeah he's worth more than Doughty all by himself.

Doughty is a great player and would do wonders for the Jets. But he's an incremental upgrade on Trouba and costs a bare minimum $3m more than Trouba will and is ~5 years older. That's a big deal for a cap team. We can add to Trouba, but it would be something like a 1st and a 3rd in different drafts, or a prospect like Vesalainen.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why people are even talking Doughty to the Jets. The guy just signed an 8 year deal at $11 M AAV with a NMC for the next 4 years to stay where he is at. He has a couple cups and lives at the beach in Southern California. He has already had career success, he lives where he wants to be and he is exceedingly rich. No GM even thinks of approaching him to waive.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
In fairness DD is worth roughly Laine purely on value......but the problem with that deal is it will continually get get more and more in favour of the Kings and less in favour of the Jets......DD is closing in on 30 soon.....Mother Nature effects everyone. Anyone signed into their mid to late 30's you know the last 1-3 years you aren't getting full value & at times some players become negative value.

Like you, no chance I would trade a very young Laine for DD

I thought the same way you did until LA won 2 cups. We’re paying for it now, but those aging assets are still worth a lot. What I’m saying is, if you want to win a cup, you need guys like Doughty on your roster. Dealing a piece that would be painful to lose, yet squiring a piece that provides a solid boost in alllowing your team to win a cup is a sacrifice only your team would have to consider to make. Personally, i would do it, but to each his/her own.

Reactions: deaderhead28

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Doughty would be fun to have...but probably cost way too much....I would NOT give up Trouba and Connor for him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What are your conditions on the two picks?

I should've mentioned that I would've put it around Trouba signing with the Kings.

We'll say if he decides to sign a big contract longer than six years, those picks are no longer in effect.
If the contract is longer than four years, then they'd get the second round pick.
If the contract is 2-4 years, they'd get the first round pick.
But say they trade Trouba right after the season then they wouldn't get those picks.

I wouldn't say after one-year because for all we know they could play the Jets.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Without those core players it doesnt help the Kings either.What Jets are willing to part with doesnt seem like good trading partners.Kings arent giving away a top 4 star defenseman for picks and prospects.
Exactly.. I don’t think the Jets can fit DD under the cap without losing too many core players which results in a worse team... I would rather have 2 Great players instead of 1 elite player for the same price. Quality & Quantity >> Quality+

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad