Value of: Doughty to Pittsburgh

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
That’s the value from any outside fan looking in for a Kings perspective. I’m not the only one suggesting 2 first rounders +++. If Pens want the cup that bad that’s the asking price. And it’s well deserved. The entire league knows Pitt is one solid defenseman away from winning it all again. Lets not be foolish here. That’s the evaluation from me and numerous others in the thread.
that's not how this works. that's not how any of this works.

Reactions: Beauner

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Have you seen Letang play recently? You could get a much better package for Petro.

I'm saying Letang as part of the returning package as we would need a top 2-3 guy returning. Guentzel, Maata, 2-1sts...couple things could be in play if you only feel you are one defenseman away. The Blues are several guys away. Need some offense.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm saying Letang as part of the returning package as we would need a top 2-3 guy returning. Guentzel, Maata, 2-1sts...couple things could be in play if you only feel you are one defenseman away. The Blues are several guys away. Need some offense.

If Guentzel were dealt, we wouldn't be one defenseman away. We'd be one defenseman and one Guentzel away.

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Too funny. There's no way the Kings take that for Doughty.
What team out there could offer a better package than the Pens ?
assuming the ask is something like Guentzel, Sprong, Maatta +++, do you understand that the Pens would be extremely foolish to gut their team for Doughty? yeah they would have Doughty but all of their actual depth would be gone.

the whole scenario doesn't make sense for either team.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
assuming the ask is something like Guentzel, Sprong, Maatta +++, do you understand that the Pens would be extremely foolish to gut their team for Doughty? yeah they would have Doughty but all of their actual depth would be gone.

the whole scenario doesn't make sense for either team.

That’s why other fans have chimed in regarding first round picks and prospects as a fair Evaluation of a trade. Pitt doesn’t gut its depth on the roster it only sends futures and prospects. There must have been atleast 8-10 people who posted similar evaluations.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Toffoli only has 2 more years of team control, so that comparison doesn't fly. If like Guentzel, Toffoli were still 23, on his ELC for '18-'19 and an RFA after that, then he would be worth more than we could expect for an impending UFA Malkin if he were dealt.

It works both ways. Clearly that doesn't make Toffoli a better player or anywhere near it, but team control is much more important than is being recognized here.

For reference's sake, Guentzel scored 4 goals in 7 Cup Finals games against the very best the West had to offer in 2017.

The narrative that small players would struggle in the West is bogus when you consider how well guys like Kane, Marchessault, Arvidsson, Panarin, and Gaudreau have performed there.

That's fair.
When I was comparing Toffoli and Guentzel, I basically was saying all things equal. Same age, same # of years of team control, same free agent status as Guentzel. Would you take Toffoli and a first for impending UFA Malkin? I highly, highly doubt you would.

By the size thing, I was mostly saying that the Kings system values bigger guys more. They haven't had a guy as skilled as Guentzel but the Kings rely a lot on board play. Can Guentzel thrive doing that the majority of the game for 82 games? Also, the guys you mentioned are some elite players who know how to avoid big hits. I haven't seen Guentzel a lot but he got crushed in a few games I saw him play. Is Guentzel in their class yet?Possibly in the future but not yet.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Maata, Sprong, Guentzel, Jarry, 2019 1st

Unless the Penguins trade one of Malkin or Crosby, they're going to unload their entire depth and farm.

This is a suggestion that needs to be moved to the JV board, or maybe we need to create one. There are so many bad ideas on this thread its not even funny. One year of Drew isn't worth this. I'm more than happy to deal Letang though.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Doughty has 1 season left on his contract, why are Kings fans in this thread acting like he's 25 and signed 4+ seasons?

If he's traded at the draft, we're probably looking at a 1st and some decent prospects

If Crosby had a year left and was asked for without being offered, would you think he would just be worth a 1st and a couple of midling prospects?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If Crosby had a year left and was asked for without being offered, would you think he would just be worth a 1st and a couple of midling prospects?

I said that Doughty would return some decent prospects, are you saying he would have more value than Crosby...? (middling prospects)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When I was comparing Toffoli and Guentzel, I basically was saying all things equal. Same age, same # of years of team control, same free agent status as Guentzel. Would you take Toffoli and a first for impending UFA Malkin? I highly, highly doubt you would.

By the size thing, I was mostly saying that the Kings system values bigger guys more. They haven't had a guy as skilled as Guentzel but the Kings rely a lot on board play. Can Guentzel thrive doing that the majority of the game for 82 games? Also, the guys you mentioned are some elite players who know how to avoid big hits. I haven't seen Guentzel a lot but he got crushed in a few games I saw him play. Is Guentzel in their class yet?Possibly in the future but not yet.

No, I wouldn't...but that's not the point. If Malkin were dealt as an impending UFA, he wouldn't return that package whether I liked it or not based on precedent.

I'm not really concerned with how Guentzel would perform as a King tbh because I don't want to trade him at all, even though I have no doubt he would thrive anywhere because he's a tenacious little bugger with an extremely high hockey IQ who executes with precision.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I said that Doughty would return some decent prospects, are you saying he would have more value than Crosby...? (middling prospects)

Decent prospects means good but not great, in the middle. I never said he had more value than Crosby, but the comparison is just. They are both top 10 players in the NHL, both top 3 at their respective position category, and both have hardware to back up their status. If a player like that were to be asked for without being shopped around, one year left or not, the price is going to be considerable. I doubt it will just be a meh late first and a couple of alright prospects that will do it.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad