Kings Article: Doughty Throws Down Gauntlet to LA Kings Management. But Was He Right?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
We can do nothing and we will still move closer to the playoffs... You think this team won't be getting better once we start replacing guys like Brown, Lizotte, AA, with Byfield Turcotte and Kaliyev, etc...

This team is getting better and your precious longshot lottery odds will get progressively longer.

Not only that but next season we go back to normal divisions which means no more Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis. We get back Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and pick up Seattle for Arizona. The 3rd and 4th spot in the playoffs are extremely in our grasp.

Vegas = 82 points
Edmonton = 72 points
Calgary = 53 points
Kings = 49 points
Sharks = 49 points
Vancouver = 48 points
Ducks = 43 points
Seattle = 0 points

This season we had 3 of the top 9 overall teams in the league and the 1 & 2 ranked team overall in our division. We will be just fine next season.

People need to relax a little bit.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not only that but next season we go back to normal divisions which means no more Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis. We get back Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and pick up Seattle for Arizona. The 3rd and 4th spot in the playoffs are extremely in our grasp.

Vegas = 82 points
Edmonton = 72 points
Calgary = 53 points
Kings = 49 points
Sharks = 49 points
Vancouver = 48 points
Ducks = 43 points
Seattle = 0 points

This season we had 3 of the top 9 overall teams in the league and the 1 & 2 ranked team overall in our division. We will be just fine next season.

Yes, the Pathetic Division will be getting the band back together. Only difference is the new drummer.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Yes, the Pathetic Division will be getting the band back together. Only difference is the new drummer.

Correct. And getting rid of 3 good teams for an average team and 2 shitty ones. Which definitely improves the Kings odds of making the playoffs and getting the team in a better game flow. Just getting away from Colorado is a major plus

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

If the Kings cannot make the playoff's with that B Movie list of teams it clearly means the re-build has gone astray.

No coincidence that only the Knights and Oilers made it into the playoffs from the original Pac Gang.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Sustained competitiveness might be tougher than winning a single Cup. Although sustained needs to be defined. Is it 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? DL barely got 5, and less than that as a real contender. And his plan was to be the 2000's Detroit.
I agree it’s tough but that’s where the need for patience comes in. By taking our time we can start filling out the NHL roster with home grown talent and they will in a couple of years get us into the play-offs. Once we are a play-off team comprised mostly of those home grown players we’d have done so whilst maintaining depth in the system. Once that happens a significant move doesn’t gut the system, just strengthens the NHL roster. Then a year later you make another move and so on. I’m not saying we shouldn’t make moves, but we shouldn’t force it. If the right move is possible then we do it, but it has to fit the long term plan and goal.

I see sustained success as being a play-off team for something like an 8-10 year period with a 4 year window where we are in the conversation for the cup. I want us to be patient now so that we have the organisational depth to move a decent prospect and a high pick at the deadline without worrying about mortgaging the future.

I think we are nearly there BTW, in terms on becoming a play-off team we have to start making moves and using the cap space. I’m hoping for a LHD and a top 6 player to help take the pressure of the prospects so we are genuine play-off contenders. Then whatever happens next year we will have a much better idea on Vilardi, Byfield, Turcotte etc. I think then after the 21/22 season we can start thinking about a much bigger move because we will properly understand what we’ve got. Even then though we’d likely only need one or two guys as the prospects start to emerge and take ownership of the team. I know people are complaining that no one has yet stepped up, but I never felt that was realistic this season because it was too early to expect that.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
What's the betting line on who AEG sides with...Blake or Doughty?

People on this board trashing Doughty need to read some articles. Blake had made some calls on getting Eichel before the TDL, months before Doughty's exit interview. So we know Blake has a pulse, now it's up to him as a GM to add talent to this roster. I am sure AEG would be ok in adding a high cap top line player otherwise why bother kicking the tires. If it's not Eichel, then Sabres(and other teams) might have available players that can help this rebuild along. Doughty is right, there is a huge drop off in talent right now after Kopitar and Doughty.

“The Los Angeles Kings have seven players on Craig Button’s Top 75 affiliated prospect list, they have the goods to bring a guy like Jack Eichel to SoCal, and more importantly, they’ve had interest. I can tell you that the Kings have had a cursory conversation before the deadline with the Buffalo Sabres about acquiring Jack Eichel and I expect that to pick up in big way this summer.”

https://nhltradetalk.com/la-kings-jack-eichel-trade-interest/

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Vegas = 82 points
Edmonton = 72 points
Calgary = 53 points
Kings = 49 points
Sharks = 49 points
Vancouver = 48 points
Ducks = 43 points
Seattle = 0 points

Indeed

Or or two key additions and we are ready to 2010 the f*** of out the NHL

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Correct. And getting rid of 3 good teams for an average team and 2 shitty ones. Which definitely improves the Kings odds of making the playoffs and getting the team in a better game flow. Just getting away from Colorado is a major plus

Kings couldn't wake up against San Jose towards the end of the season when the playoffs was in their hand. They choked away like three games or two? They had the chance to make the playoffs and lost it because the Sharks thoroughly outplayed them. Its not the division as much as it is the Kings ability to suck.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Kings couldn't wake up against San Jose towards the end of the season when the playoffs was in their hand. They choked away like three games or two? They had the chance to make the playoffs and lost it because the Sharks thoroughly outplayed them. Its not the division as much as it is the Kings ability to suck.

That falls on the coach. How the hell can he not get more out of his players?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That falls on the coach. How the hell can he not get more out of his players?

Undoubtedly. The coach sucks. But the players are an issue too to not be able to get up themselves after the revolving door in coaching which is mostly Blake's poor judgment as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad