Kings Article: Doughty: Most embarrassing thing I’ve ever had to deal with in my hockey career

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
"Doughty, on whether this happened abruptly, or if he could sense challenges seeping in earlier:
I don’t know. I haven’t seen us really perform at all well this season, so I think I kind of saw it coming. I thought last season we were better than the season before that, but still not amazing. I thought we could’ve been better. So, yeah, I didn’t expect this, but I guess in the way we had training camp and the way we started the season, you could see it kind of coming, I guess. But we also thought we would’ve gotten right out of it a lot sooner than this. It’s a frustrating time. "

Yep, the answer is right there. Don't know how it's possible to have a bad camp, but the coaches sure put one together. The preseason games should've been the HUGE red flag to everyone!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Oh hey, a player admitting that camp/preseason didn't go well, yet some of us who expressed concern around here for their play during that time were told we were being negative.

It shows how deep rooted the problems were from the get go. All focus is lost with this team, and they may be beyond repair at this point. Drastic measures need to be taken.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oh hey, a player admitting that camp/preseason didn't go well, yet some of us who expressed concern around here for their play during that time were told we were being negative.

It shows how deep rooted the problems were from the get go. All focus is lost with this team, and they may be beyond repair at this point. Drastic measures need to be taken.

I still don't buy it, to be honest. I still see training camp/preseason as a means for players to get their skating legs and rhythm back.

It's interesting to hear it from Doughty, but without him explaining further I still put little weight in preseason.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I know Dwight King was mostly useless if you just looked at the numbers and he never threw big hits for a big guy but man was he physical along the boards. Good luck trying to take the puck away from him. But it's ok, we have post 2014 Toffoli who turns it over as soon as you look at him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I still don't buy it, to be honest. I still see training camp/preseason as a means for players to get their skating legs and rhythm back.

It's interesting to hear it from Doughty, but without him explaining further I still put little weight in preseason.

But the focus on their play in the preseason wasn't so much the results. The way they played in the preseason is exactly how they're playing today. That was the red flag warning. Their work ethic has gone down the toilet.

Reactions: King Trouty

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
we keep saying it wouldn't work today because they just duck out of the way and we would miss hits but its the ones that you dont miss that wears them down, everyone hit everyone. last week when we played the flames you guys are right they out skated us around and around and beat us 1-0 , its freaking figure skating with the puck, hit them little bitches evey shift and they would start looking over their shoulders as they are being worn down , greene never caught someone outskating him but if they stopped near his crease he wasted them and they started staying out of the crease , last night marleau was setup up in the crease long enough to catch a pass and then pass backwards to kadri while poor fantenbrg tried to dance with him and forbort was lost some where , i get its the new nhl but when you play a consistent system they cant call it all ,right now teams are coming in and doing whatever they want , other teams are full of snowflakes too hit them again and again , thats one of the reasons we all like big mac and you cant tell me he would look worse than forbort has when he is not with drew ......ah f*** it lets hope they have a plan and do not let sentiment get in the way of whats best for the team

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
we keep saying it wouldn't work today because they just duck out of the way and we would miss hits but its the ones that you dont miss that wears them down, everyone hit everyone. last week when we played the flames you guys are right they out skated us around and around and beat us 1-0 , its freaking figure skating with the puck, hit them little *****es evey shift and they would start looking over their shoulders as they are being worn down , greene never caught someone outskating him but if they stopped near his crease he wasted them and they started staying out of the crease , last night marleau was setup up in the crease long enough to catch a pass and then pass backwards to kadri while poor fantenbrg tried to dance with him and forbort was lost some where , i get its the new nhl but when you play a consistent system they cant call it all ,right now teams are coming in and doing whatever they want , other teams are full of snowflakes too hit them again and again , thats one of the reasons we all like big mac and you cant tell me he would look worse than forbort has when he is not with drew ......ah **** it lets hope they have a plan and do not let sentiment get in the way of whats best for the team
The problem with MacDermid is it's an easy zone entry against him. Of course Doughty will be there to have his back but you don't necessarily want the opposition's top players to have free zone entries every shift. But yeah, MacDermid would clear the front of the net which is needed.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Jonathan Toews in 2013-14 facing the Kings at home. " I hate playing the Kings, I hate everything about that team" " They hit you all over the ice, there forwards work hard on defense" "You pay for every single inch of ice you get against them".

Those days are gone.

"I hate watching the Kings, I hate everything about this team. I pay for every single minute I watch of them."

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It appears you dislike the salary cap. I didn't enjoy watching the Kings be outspent by Detroit and Colorado season after season. The cap has made the NHL much more interesting to follow. The Kings finished two points out of first place in the Pacific Division which would have been good for the 3rd seed in the playoffs. Third seed or eighth seed that team was built for 7-game playoff series, and it rolled through the competition with ease.

Mostly just venting I guess, but what's the 3rd seed when the conference wasn't aligned strictly 1-8? They finished 13th overall, 2 points out of 11th. That team was built for a 7 game playoff series, after the fact. We had no idea they would roll through the competition the way they did. 2013, where they scratched and clawed through 2 rounds, and 2014, where they were down 0-3 and had to win three Game 7's on the road, is closer to reality than 2012. Anyway, live by the cap, die by the cap.

This is in part Doughty's team. There's no Regehr, or Mitchell, or Scuderi, or Greene coming anymore. This is what Lombardi was building toward. The day the room belonged to Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty. They are now the battled tested vets. I guess they're not close to those previous old guys(although most of those previous old guys were here for 14-15), and there's no new Kopitar/Doughty level young player pushing them. At least until maybe Vilardi can ever play a minute, and whoever they hopefully get with a top pick in the draft.

Whatever, they had their magical run.

Reactions: Brodie562

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah speed league or not, if you don't finish your checks, everyone in the play will be eligible. Do you think Dwight King was more talented than any of our opponents? Nope--but if he got on the wall to neutralize them, OEL isn't joining the play. Pietrangelo is hurt--then spends most of every play looking for Brown and King instead of passes. Sure there's concern they'[ll just skate around/outskate you but the skill guys start worrying and stop playing the same way if they know they're going to have to pay every single time not just once. Every #5-6 d-man looks godly against us because they have no fear. They have time. Our firechecker is just going to skate past him to keep their speed up, or at worst tie up a stick, rather than take a guy to the boards where he can only make a short distance play.

"Speed league" doesn't mean no tenacity. f***ing hate this gutless version of the team, and Drew is right.

Reactions: LAKings88

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
I don't understand why Doughty is saying he doesn't know what's wrong. (I believe Kopi said something similar as well). Do these guys watch the tape of the games?! Maybe they should watch the game against the Leafs. There is NO HUSSLE. NO ONE is moving their feet. Their passes aren't on target. There is no effort out there. That is the problem Drew, you and the rest of the team HAVE NO EFFORT!!

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Doughty is 3 weeks from being 29 yrs old. LA is not close for a "retool" and you know it. Every team is pointing that out each and every game this season. Heck, DD basically knows it with his defeatist "don't let them score" mentality.

I'm glad we're at least discussing the possibility of moving Doughty or Kopitar. Makes for better conversation

Reactions: KINGS17

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I don't understand why Doughty is saying he doesn't know what's wrong. (I believe Kopi said something similar as well). Do these guys watch the tape of the games?! Maybe they should watch the game against the Leafs. There is NO HUSSLE. NO ONE is moving their feet. Their passes aren't on target. There is no effort out there. That is the problem Drew, you and the rest of the team HAVE NO EFFORT!!
Because they are CoNfUsEd

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Muzzin for Matthews

Can you name me a single player on the LA Kings or within the organization that currently has more talent than Nylander?

You can’t. I was joking with that proposal btw. But when you get past the jokes it would actually be a great deal for LA, you get a budding star forward to centre your rebuild around, Doughty has won all he’s had to win in LA, and it’s time for LA to look towards the youth, just my opinion. Cheers.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Can you name me a single player on the LA Kings or within the organization that currently has more talent than Nylander?

You can’t. I was joking with that proposal btw. But when you get past the jokes it would actually be a great deal for LA, you get a budding star forward to centre your rebuild around, Doughty has won all he’s had to win in LA, and it’s time for LA to look towards the youth, just my opinion. Cheers.

More talent than Nylander?

Sure, Kopitar and Kovalchuk

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

If you honestly think Nylander is more talented that the likes of Kopitar and Doughty, you are not even worth debating with

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Arguably the most talented defenseman on the planet for some clown that isn't even playing.

The Kings have a Norris trophy winner and multiple Selke trophy winner that were both core pieces of two Stanley Cup runs. That's two.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad