Kings Article: Doughty: Most embarrassing thing I’ve ever had to deal with in my hockey career

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
We all know Doughty doesn't beat around the bush but oh man, they have no idea what the hell they are doing. Team has no identity whatsoever. The rest of the article is pretty good too.

Drew Doughty, on what comes next after the team fired its coach and traded a key figure:
We win some hockey games. This is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever had to deal with in my hockey career, all of us have ever had to deal with in our hockey careers. You want to put a finger on it and you want to know exactly why this is happening, but it’s hard to figure out. It just has to come within. We can’t be waiting around for guys to make it happen. We can’t all be looking at Kopi for him to take the reins and take it over. We all need to individually just pick it up ourselves, and one-by-one we need to try to do exactly what we’re supposed to go out there and do and not wait around for other guys to do it for us. We’ve got to take the bull by the horns and do it ourselves. And that’s the biggest problem I see with our team right now. [Reporter: Everybody’s waiting for somebody else.] I think so. Even myself, I’m going out there, I’ve been friggin’ minus almost every game, it seems like, whether it was an empty net or whatever it may be. I’m going out there thinking, ‘don’t get scored on, don’t get scored on,’ and when you think that way, the bad things happen. So you’ve got to start thinking positive, and I know it’s hard to think positive when we’re losing like this, but that’s the bottom line. When you think negative, negative, things happen.

Team identity "way different" as Doughty endures "most embarassing" part of his career - LA Kings Insider

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Don’t worry, Drew, we’re just as embarrassed.
bags.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wait, who stopped listening to Sutter not long after winning the miracle 2nd Cup? Hell, with the way they started the 2014 playoffs, I'm not entirely sure they didn't stop listening before the playoffs.

Whatever. This franchise lucked into the golden years. Keep shooting into shins Doughty. You'll get that one highlight slapper every year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was more impressed by one of his first comments, very honest, Drew-like assessment of the current state of things:

"“It’s way different,” he answered. “I think that’s one of the things I try to tell the guys. When I used to go to these All-Star Games and these Team Canada things, every time I’d go in there, these guys would just come up to me and be like, ‘God, I hate playing your team. Like, I absolutely hate playing your team.’ For one, we were always physical. We were in your face, we worked as hard as we possible could, and we gave their star players nothing. When you shut down star players and don’t give them opportunities, they get frustrated with themselves, and they don’t perform their best way. I haven’t heard other players talk about our team like that in a good two or three years."

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I was more impressed by one of his first comments, very honest, Drew-like assessment of the current state of things:

"“It’s way different,” he answered. “I think that’s one of the things I try to tell the guys. When I used to go to these All-Star Games and these Team Canada things, every time I’d go in there, these guys would just come up to me and be like, ‘God, I hate playing your team. Like, I absolutely hate playing your team.’ For one, we were always physical. We were in your face, we worked as hard as we possible could, and we gave their star players nothing. When you shut down star players and don’t give them opportunities, they get frustrated with themselves, and they don’t perform their best way. I haven’t heard other players talk about our team like that in a good two or three years."
"Hard to Play Against" was their MO. Now they're just supposed to be playing fast like every other team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"Hard to Play Against" was their MO. Now they're just supposed to be playing fast like every other team.

As @BigKing would likely point out--at the risk of putting words in his mouth--even if they had that 2012-2014 identity of 'crush everything' right now they'd just get penalized for breathing on someone.

Reactions: yankeeking

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Remember when the whole hockey world was ripping on Lombardi after that embarrassing Team USA performance? The Pens being the flavor of the month comment too? Should've kept Lombardi, even though his mistakes between 2006 and 2011 had him staring down his job in the "contender" season of 11-12. Only in a watered down cap league can an 8th seed with the Cup. They were a fraud, as is the league.

Reactions: The Butcher
Jun 30, 2006
They (bleep)ed up dumping the DL/Sutter work hard culture for Luc’s country club atmosphere. Now the players are complaining they are losing and are embarrassed. They created the situation they are in.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Remember when the whole hockey world was ripping on Lombardi after that embarrassing Team USA performance? The Pens being the flavor of the month comment too? Should've kept Lombardi, even though his mistakes between 2006 and 2011 had him staring down his job in the "contender" season of 11-12. Only in a watered down cap league can an 8th seed with the Cup. They were a fraud, as is the league.
It appears you dislike the salary cap. I didn't enjoy watching the Kings be outspent by Detroit and Colorado season after season. The cap has made the NHL much more interesting to follow. The Kings finished two points out of first place in the Pacific Division which would have been good for the 3rd seed in the playoffs. Third seed or eighth seed that team was built for 7-game playoff series, and it rolled through the competition with ease.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The 12 hits bothered me last night.

I get that these speedy teams are hard to hit, but when you're down 2-4 goals and in last place why isn't anyone jumping over the boards looking to knock some people over? Get something started, force a turnover or two, show the crowd you care. Who cares if you take yourself out of position and give up another goal, you're losing anyway.

If they had 30 hits last night and lost 7-1, I'd at least think they were angry, frustrated, and desperate.

But 12 hits in a 5-1 loss just suggests bored, uninterested, and apathetic.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Jonathan Toews in 2013-14 facing the Kings at home. " I hate playing the Kings, I hate everything about that team" " They hit you all over the ice, there forwards work hard on defense" "You pay for every single inch of ice you get against them".

Those days are gone.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am thinking who on the Kings should be hard to play against, should it start with 8 and 11?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
As @BigKing would likely point out--at the risk of putting words in his mouth--even if they had that 2012-2014 identity of 'crush everything' right now they'd just get penalized for breathing on someone.

Oh for sure. Mitchel and Greene would be in the box 3 time a game for clearing the net out against teams like Vegas and Calgary.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Jonathan Toews in 2013-14 facing the Kings at home. " I hate playing the Kings, I hate everything about that team" " They hit you all over the ice, there forwards work hard on defense" "You pay for every single inch of ice you get against them".

Those days are gone.

That wouldn't work today, guys are too fast and would skate right by the hit, or during a dump and chase would beat our guys to the puck in the corner. It was a fun style to watch and they achieved success with it, but the style has passed them by.Right now they're caught in between different ways to play and have yet to adjust from defense first, protect homeplate, to fast,fast, fast, push the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad