"Doughty is the best defenseman in the league" per McDavid

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Just curious, if that doesn't happen, then what? OTT fan bases collapse?
they're in a tough spot this year. if hedman wins half of them Lose their "it's only because he's not Canadian" crap. if doughty wins the other half lose their "they give it to the player who is most due" excuse.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
gretzky is hilarious. he thinks everyone is the greatest to ever lace up the skates.

Yea which is kind of why I don't get why we emphasises players opinions so much. Also sometimes people just say "he's the best in the game" impulsively, doesn't mean we necessarily hold it as an opinion engraved in our hearts.

I've had days where i think Doughty is the best and days where I think Karlsson or Hedman is the best :laugh:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yep, forget all those times I defended Karlsson, and cherry pick the one very obvious over the top response to form your entire opinion.

Wait aren't we in a Doughty thread? Hmm....

This thread is just demonstrating the opposite, that the level of fanatacism of some EK fans can't even let a "McDavid comments on Doughty" thread stand without interjecting venom even when it has zero to do with Erik Karlsson.

Edit: also, get this man a mirror: "Doughty fans are so insecure. umma gumma, Jan 16, 2016 " Bastion of respect right there.

lol like Karlsson threads dont become threads about Doughty. That's some selective picking.

Also it's a discussion about the best defenceman in the world. Of course other players like Karlsson and Hedman are going to be mentioned.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I love how people still complain about Doughty's Norris when the year before he was robbed so Karlsson could win. Doughty had the most first place votes and still lost. :laugh: Funny how that tidbit often gets left out when discussing his "Due Doughty" season.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Even Gretzkys random statements, and thats saying a lot, has more credibility than McDavid with his 2-3 seasons long NHL career.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Even Gretzkys random statements, and thats saying a lot, has more credibility than McDavid with his 2-3 seasons long NHL career.

Yeah why would the 2 time Art Ross Trophy winner know anything about what makes a great defenseman? Awesome point, well done.

Reactions: KingTrouty

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yea which is kind of why I don't get why we emphasises players opinions so much. Also sometimes people just say "he's the best in the game" impulsively, doesn't mean we necessarily hold it as an opinion engraved in our hearts.

I've had days where i think Doughty is the best and days where I think Karlsson or Hedman is the best :laugh:
we hold a players opinion higher than a fans because they're out on the ice, actually playing against these guys, and for the most part, they know the game better than we do.

if an NHL forward tells you he has a hard time playing against a particular dman that's worth more than you or me saying he looks hard to play against.

but opinions still differ from player to player, and some of the statements you hear are part of interviews, and can be taken out of context as well.

when the general consensus of NHL players is that a particular player is the best, it's kind of hard to argue that.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
As a battle-hardened Sens fan in these discussions, I think it’s worth recognizing just how hard of deployment Doughty gets.

Sure a guy like Karlsson SOMETIMES gets the tough shut down assignment, but Doughty gets it every single night.

I don’t care what the analytic crowd says about quality competition, it is MUCH more difficult to perform in the environment Doughty plays in than the one Karlsson plays in.

It is a huge burden to bear and Doughty excels in doing it, and that’s incredible.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The mere fact that Doughty can play 30 minutes of high level hockey in both ends is why he is the best in the game. And the fact that Subban can't, is why he doesn't get picked for Team Canada, and sees 3 other Dmen get ice in OT before the coaching staff even contemplates putting him out there.

But let's just keep ignoring these facts that don't fit the narrative of the fan club
And now with Muzzin and Forbort out, he's gonna hit the 30 minutes for sure. Atleast Muzzin is practicing.

Reactions: KingTrouty

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The mere fact that Doughty can play 30 minutes of high level hockey in both ends is why he is the best in the game. And the fact that Subban can't, is why he doesn't get picked for Team Canada, and sees 3 other Dmen get ice in OT before the coaching staff even contemplates putting him out there.

But let's just keep ignoring these facts that don't fit the narrative of the fan club

I don't think there is any doubt subban makes team Canada if they were to send a team this year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As a battle-hardened Sens fan in these discussions, I think it’s worth recognizing just how hard of deployment Doughty gets.

Sure a guy like Karlsson SOMETIMES gets the tough shut down assignment, but Doughty gets it every single night.

I don’t care what the analytic crowd says about quality competition, it is MUCH more difficult to perform in the environment Doughty plays in than the one Karlsson plays in.

It is a huge burden to bear and Doughty excels in doing it, and that’s incredible.
the analytics crowd are quick to dismiss a few things far too quickly.

"faceoffs don't really matter, they only have an effect on possession for 10 seconds after the faceoff" is another favourite of mine. there are wgat, 60 faceoffs a game on average? 600 seconds, 10 minutes 9f the game. 15%? when the worst possession teams in the league are at 45%, and the best are at 55%, i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss faceoffs.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
the analytics crowd are quick to dismiss a few things far too quickly.

"faceoffs don't really matter, they only have an effect on possession for 10 seconds after the faceoff" is another favourite of mine. there are wgat, 60 faceoffs a game on average? 600 seconds, 10 minutes 9f the game. 15%? when the worst possession teams in the league are at 45%, and the best are at 55%, i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss faceoffs.
You don't really even need "analytics" to look into face-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad