"Doughty is the best defenseman in the league" per McDavid

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Doughty said he tries not to look stupid in front of Mcdavid and that he's a little bit scared of him as he recently mentioned on hockey night in Canada. That's really nice to hear from McDavid.

Can't find the interview but the kings included McDavid's bit in their Doughty for Norris video.

Doughty has 58 points in 79 games. He needs one more point to pass his career high. He's been top notch this season and has really helped out the dmen when needed

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If I were his wife, I'd talk about him as little as possible. Wouldn't want anybody knowing that.

I just think it's silly to use player's opinions in general, especially when the more substantial evidence of Doughty being the best defenseman this year is abundant.

If Doughty weren't the best defeseman, do you think Connor would have said anything different? Probably not. Plus, who knows where that clip is from. Could have been before the season, last season, or early this season. Doughty wasn't the best defenseman last year, but he said it anyway. Giroux pumped the tires of a guy in his own division, even though that particular guy sucks. There's a clear recency/ingroup bias here.

If the point of the thread is a Drew Doughty Appreciation thread then I've got nothing to say, because he deserves it. If the point of the thread is to sell me on another coach/player/GM opinion as empirical evidence, then I'm compelled to remind everyone that coaches/players/GM's say stupid ****.

The clip was from last week, FWIW.

But it would have been funnier if McJesus was like "yeah Drew is like the 3rd best d-man in the league" all deadpan like he is

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The clip was from last week, FWIW.

But it would have been funnier if McJesus was like "yeah Drew is like the 3rd best d-man in the league" all deadpan like he is

Well then he's not wrong, I'll give him that.

McDavid: "Nah I got like a whole list" *whips it out* "As you can see, Drew is third, but he's trending up. CorsiRel is on the left here and quality of competition is third from the right. The red one is either Subban or a ketchup stain, hard to tell eh?"

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
McDavid battles more with Doughty than anyone else in the league. Maybe Kesler/Getzlaf close second. Not surprised he'd say that.

Reactions: generationalfan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gretzky would probably call him the best defenceman of all time.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
in offense of course. but doughty has 2 cups. guy knows what to play D and win.
Cups matter of course, but for me at least, they aren't the be all and end all (eg. Towes vs Stamkos or Ovechkin).

And looking at what Karlsson managed to do last year, particularly on one foot... no one can say he isn't full of heart and giving his all and then some in the playoffs. That was one of the best individual performances in years.

Doughty is one of the elite D-men in the League though. Just not number for my money. I hope he cracks 60 points in the next couple games.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
If I were his wife, I'd talk about him as little as possible. Wouldn't want anybody knowing that.

I just think it's silly to use player's opinions in general, especially when the more substantial evidence of Doughty being the best defenseman this year is abundant.

If Doughty weren't the best defeseman, do you think Connor would have said anything different? Probably not. Plus, who knows where that clip is from. Could have been before the season, last season, or early this season. Doughty wasn't the best defenseman last year, but he said it anyway. Giroux also pumped the tires of a guy in his own division, even though that particular guy sucks. There's a clear recency/ingroup bias here.

If the point of the thread is a Drew Doughty Appreciation thread then I've got nothing to say, because he deserves it. If the point of the thread is to sell me on another coach/player/GM opinion as empirical evidence, then I'm compelled to remind everyone that coaches/players/GM's say stupid ****.
I'd figured he deserves an appreciation thread. Everyone but him has gotten a few. It's crazy that some have him under their radar. I get some don't like his temper tantrums but remove it from his game and he's a freakin stellar player. I'm honestly surprised how good of a season he's having. He has been rotated between so many defenseman that we're having poor seasons since January. And now his current partner, Forbort, is out most likely for awhile and Muzzin is on IR so he'll get another new partner next game even though he was paired with Phaneuf after Forbort went down tonight and they both were really insync with one another and were able to shutdown the opposition.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd figured he deserves an appreciation thread. Everyone but him has gotten a few. It's crazy that some have him under their radar. I get some don't like him temper tantrums but remove it from his game and he's a freakin stellar player. I'm honestly surprised how good of a season he's having. He has been rotated between so many defenseman that we're having poor seasons since January. And now his current partner, Forbort, is out most likely for awhile and Muzzin is on IR so he'll get another new partner next game even though he was paired with Phaneuf after Forbort went down tonight and they both were really insync with one another and were able to shutdown the opposition.

Well like I said, he deserves the appreciation thread.

I think anyone paired with Phaneuf does, let alone the best defenseman in the league.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Cups matter of course, but for me at least, they aren't the be all and end all (eg. Towes vs Stamkos or Ovechkin).

And looking at what Karlsson managed to do last year, particularly on one foot... no one can say he isn't full of heart and giving his all and then some in the playoffs. That was one of the best individual performances in years.

Doughty is one of the elite D-men in the League though. Just not number for my money. I hope he cracks 60 points in the next couple games.
karlsson was great that playoffs but the sens had the worst goal differential not only in the reg season but that playoffs. same with shot differential. that whole run was insane goaltending and timely goals.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
karlsson was great that playoffs but the sens had the worst goal differential not only in the reg season but that playoffs. same with shot differential. that whole run was insane goaltending and timely goals.

Didn't Sens have a pretty good shot/goal differential with EK on the ice. The problem was that they were a complete disaster without him.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
The players also had Shea Weber in the top 3 of a few categories in those voting results that were released. There's definitely a disconnect between how some players feel to play against and how effective they actually are. Doughty is very good, but I would guess the fact that McDavid plays against Doughty more than against Hedman and Karlsson combined also factors into this. It's also possibly true that Doughty is the best this year. I don't presume to watch enough hockey to know if this is true, and neither does almost anyone else here I'd guess.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Doughty is a great dman that mcdavid sees more than eastern fans. Karlsson is a great dman he plays twice a year

And tbh for mcdavid doughty is probably more of a challenge when they do play because he isn't expected to be the kings offensive driver.

While karlsson basically has to be thinking offence all the time for ottawa to ever win .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad