News Article: Doughty "I just want to win Cups..."

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Kessel got 2 firsts and another pick, Doughty would get at least 2 plus a bunch of high end prospects.

That's a completely different situation. Kessel was an RFA.

People who think Doughty is going to get some big massive return are going to be disappointed.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

People who think Doughty is going to get some big massive return are going to be disappointed.

Doughty probably won't be traded. If the Kings do lose Doughty it will most likely be Doughty choosing UFA over resigning.

It would be a really extremely bold move by Blake to trade Doughty.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Doughty probably won't be traded. If the Kings do lose Doughty it will most likely be Doughty choosing UFA over resigning.

And so you think allowing him to walk for nothing is more likely? That's just delusional.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Easier for the blame to fall on Doughty that way. "We gave him a fair offer and he chose to leave." It's not as far fetched as you might think.

Why is putting blame more important? Blake will be the laughingstock of the league if DD walks away in the summer of 2019 for nothing. If it looks like they can't sign him, he's got to trade him no later than next years offseason. Gotta roll the dice rather than drawing dead.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Why is putting blame more important? Blake will be the laughingstock of the league if DD walks away in the summer of 2019 for nothing. If it looks like they can't sign him, he's got to trade him no later than next years offseason. Gotta roll the dice rather than drawing dead.

I guess you haven't paid much attention to the way the world works. Covering your own ass is a thing.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Goddammit Jets fans are frusterating. Some are actually arguing that this very moment Trouba is a better player than Doughty. I mean seriously?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Only if they're solidly in the playoffs by the 2019 deadline. Anything short of that, assuming he's not signed by then, and they'll trade him by that deadline. Bold move to trade him, dumb move not to trade him if you're not going to the playoffs in 2019 and he's still unsigned. Bold from a GM you can accept. Dumb should get you fired.

My guess is if they trade him, it will only be at that deadline. The earliest would be the draft in June. One of those two dates, that's it. Which is why all the trade talk is way too premature. He's not going anywhere for at least 10 months. Most likely 18ish months.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

UFA-to-be Kovalchuk got first round and second round draftees, Johnny Oduya, and a 1st. UFA-to-be Hossa got Christensen, Angelo Esposito, Colby Armstrong, and a 1st. In retrospect most of those prospects were busts, but that's often the case; is it really hard to believe Doughty would bring a haul?

Goddammit Jets fans are frusterating. Some are actually arguing that this very moment Trouba is a better player than Doughty. I mean seriously?

Doughty just isn't flashy enough to get any respect around the league anymore. It's disgusting and not a phenomenon limited to Trouba. People are consistently dropping him out of their Top 10s and it's gotten so appalling I don't even bother anymore.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-camp-doughty-20170912-story.html
Kopitar and Doughty took ownership of getting the Kings back to their high standards. The Kings have not won a playoff series since their last Cup win in 2014 and have missed the playoffs two of the last three seasons. It won’t happen overnight, and the honeymoon with Stevens has shelf life.

“It’s my responsibility, along with other players on the team, to bring our team back to that time when we were winning Cups,†Doughty said. “I take that full responsibility. I’m going to do everything in my power to bring us back to that level, along with other teammates. But it’s my responsibility to take our team back to where we need to be, and Iâ€â¢m determined to do that.â€Â

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Not gonna even worry about it for the next six months. He's signed for the next two seasons.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
UFA-to-be Kovalchuk got first round and second round draftees, Johnny Oduya, and a 1st. UFA-to-be Hossa got Christensen, Angelo Esposito, Colby Armstrong, and a 1st. In retrospect most of those prospects were busts, but that's often the case; is it really hard to believe Doughty would bring a haul?

If the day comes too months from now to even really think too much about it, maybe we shouldn't focus on the haul part. Try and get 1 really good prospect. Then again, for both Kovalchuk and Hossa, you are talking about Atlanta Thrashers management. They weren't good, and ownership at the time was even worse. They didn't care if they made a good trade or not. They couldn't wait to kick the franchise out on the street.

Don't even have to go far to find another example though. Blake and Reinprecht brought back Deadmarsh and Miller. Plus young guys that didn't work out as well. It was actually a hell of a trade for a soon to be UFA in a cap-less world.

Goddamn I loved Deadmarsh.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Is it just me or are you shocked by his lack of definition in his arms? I mean they look like noodles. Is this a guy that is going to get slower and slower with age and trend downward like Kopitar while sitting on a long term, over priced contract? I'd be more worried about that than losing him. His conditioning hasn't been the best over the years and all this TV and press this summer makes me think he has been on vacation and not preparing his body for the upcoming season.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Is it just me or are you shocked by his lack of definition in his arms? I mean they look like noodles. Is this a guy that is going to get slower and slower with age and trend downward like Kopitar while sitting on a long term, over priced contract? I'd be more worried about that than losing him. His conditioning hasn't been the best over the years and all this TV and press this summer makes me think he has been on vacation and not preparing his body for the upcoming season.

Doughty has never looked to be in great shape, but his actual performance proves him to be one of, if not the most conditioned athlete in the nhl. The guy plays the most "hard" minutes in the nhl by far.
So whatever he is doing is working and I will trust him until he proves us wrong.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Doughty has never looked to be in great shape, but his actual performance proves him to be one of, if not the most conditioned athlete in the nhl. The guy plays the most "hard" minutes in the nhl by far.
So whatever he is doing is working and I will trust him until he proves us wrong.

Which is always the question with athletes. Or, I suppose, people in general. How much of what they do is simply natural ability? If Doughty isn't in great shape, is he getting by on just being young? Jagr is in a different cosmos, but whether it's Brown or some other veteran that all of a sudden we see or hear about them working out more, fans start making fun of them, because that's usually never a good sign. Once you start with the workouts, you're over the hill. Until you're like 35 or older, then the working out becomes about dedication to the game/your team, since the personal expectations aren't as high anymore.

Lombardi was trying to get them all to do this early. Even trusted Richards because of it.

I have no idea what Doughty does or doesn't do, but if you do that working out earlier in your career, maybe it helps you sustain your level of play years down the line. Probably not a guarantee of that or anything though. If it only starts at 30, maybe it's tougher when the natural talent starts to slip. Or, everyone has a different body, and what works for one doesn't work for another.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

If the Kings lose Doughty for nothing to free agency, it would be the single biggest disaster in the history of the franchise. Worse than the Gretzky trade. Worse than all the flubbed draft picks. Worse than everything Dean did post-2014 combined.

It would be horrendous asset management. Horrendous. Blake only has two options: re-sign Doughty, or trade him to recoup assets. It's really not that bold.

There's a reason players of Doughty's caliber never hit free agency.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Ottawa didn't trade Chara, Redden and Volchenkov at the deadline before their deals were up. The Kings can not allow that to happen. They have to make sure Drew has a new contract before the deadline. If not, they should trade him.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Which is always the question with athletes. Or, I suppose, people in general. How much of what they do is simply natural ability? If Doughty isn't in great shape, is he getting by on just being young? Jagr is in a different cosmos, but whether it's Brown or some other veteran that all of a sudden we see or hear about them working out more, fans start making fun of them, because that's usually never a good sign. Once you start with the workouts, you're over the hill. Until you're like 35 or older, then the working out becomes about dedication to the game/your team, since the personal expectations aren't as high anymore.

Lombardi was trying to get them all to do this early. Even trusted Richards because of it.

I have no idea what Doughty does or doesn't do, but if you do that working out earlier in your career, maybe it helps you sustain your level of play years down the line. Probably not a guarantee of that or anything though. If it only starts at 30, maybe it's tougher when the natural talent starts to slip. Or, everyone has a different body, and what works for one doesn't work for another.
That's a fair point and im sure for doughty alot of it is natural. It is also true that looking at how cut someone is or how strong they appear to be doesnt always relate directly to a persons practical strength or cardio. It can be tough to correlate body fat%, weight, and muscle mass to flexibility, cardio, and practical strength. Im just saying it appears Doughty has almost the perfect balance of these. As his cardio, strength, and flexibility combo seem to be unmatched in the NHL. I mean he is legit elite in all of that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I mean, Kopitar has been 1-3 in the league in forward skater minutes for quite a while. Saying his condiitioning isn't the best is a stretch. Edit: wait, we're talking about DOUGHTY? That's even funnier.

Also the idea of judging a player's health by looking at him is a bad science to say it kindly.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ottawa didn't trade Chara, Redden and Volchenkov at the deadline before their deals were up. The Kings can not allow that to happen. They have to make sure Drew has a new contract before the deadline. If not, they should trade him.

Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Brad Richards, Zdeno Chara, Brian Rafalski,Anton Stralman.

It does happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2