Rumor: Doug Maclean (HC): Unnamed NHL Coach says: "The Leafs are going to challenge"

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I agree with a lot of what you all have said, there is no doubt that you can find D later in the draft. Its not as easy to do as with a top 10 pick but still much easier then top end forwards for sure.

I am of the opinion that I don't see us being a threat to even win a round in the playoffs so I would rather end up with a top 5-10 pick rather then 12-14. That doesn't mean tank this year, I think those days need to be over, but I do think a season with gradual improvement would still be beneficial to the development of the young guns. Finishing somewhere in the lower half of a top 10 pick and ending up with an Olli Juolevi or Sergachev type prospect would be awesome IMO.

Personally I think that is where I think this team will end up come years end. The influx of skill is undeniable, but it is young inexperienced skill. With that comes a learning curve and mistakes that will end up in our net. We will be a more competitive team on a nightly basis for sure but I still see a long way to go.

ForSpareParts*

Just a figure of speech. Just like going to war, etc.

They aren't actually going to be going to war or playing with fire. We should know the differences, right?

You are turning these phrases into extremes at the same time as you are being condescending.

^This is a very defensive post in which you are trying to save face.

I do know the differences. "Playing with fire" might be trading Gardiner and Rielly and giving the most minutes to Zaitsev and Carrick. Zaitsev is a good enough to play in the top 4. Carrick will be up and down but will not have a lot of minutes assigned to him. Suggesting Zaitsev/Carrick playing together on the second pairing is not "playing with fire"!

BurnsBlue

Jun 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
24 points? Oh my god. What an impossible feat!

THATS LIKE ONE EXTRA WIN A MONTH + 4 MORE ALL YEAR.

NO WAY A TEAM WITH IMPROVEMENTS COULD EVER DO THAT. (can you taste the sarcasm yet?)

No one knows whats going to happen. The only thing unlikely is 1st place or last place.

Also love how this thread made it to post #3 to become negative.

Stop worrying about what the other 29 teams are going to do. Actually just stop worrying period, none of you know what you are talking about anyway.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That's fair.

So you have Gardiner & Zaitsev playing together? And then have Carrick with Hunwick on the bottom pairing?

Or how would you ideally set up the pairings?

To me, I don't think there's an ideal pairing that the Leafs could come up with at the moment. If Gardiner/Zaitsev & Carrick/Hunwick are together, that leaves Marincin and Rielly together. Again, not the ideal partner for Rielly, but not a ton of options either.

Ideal ->

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Carrick
Marincin Hunwick Polak/Carrick

Giving anyone other than Zaitsev that top RHD spot is insane.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
To me Zaitsev is a massive key. If he plays top 4 minutes and is really good, that's such an improvement.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You are turning these phrases into extremes at the same time as you are being condescending.

^This is a very defensive post in which you are trying to save face.

I do know the differences. "Playing with fire" might be trading Gardiner and Rielly and giving the most minutes to Zaitsev and Carrick. Zaitsev is a good enough to play in the top 4. Carrick will be up and down but will not have a lot of minutes assigned to him. Suggesting Zaitsev/Carrick playing together on the second pairing is not "playing with fire"!

I don't think it's being very defensive. It's explaining if you were actually offended. But let me tell you, if you get offended by that, don't head over to the main boards.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs had a tough time with a primarily AHL Hab club. Sure Andersen wasn't playing, but that was pretty close to the Leafs opening night lineup. Of course They need time to gel and learn each other's tendencies, but it wasn't an easy win. The Habs will be better this season, a lot of teams will be better, but every win is going to be a hard fought win this season. They will be better, but maybe 10-15 points better.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs had a tough time with a primarily AHL Hab club. Sure Andersen wasn't playing, but that was pretty close to the Leafs opening night lineup. Of course They need time to gel and learn each other's tendencies, but it wasn't an easy win. The Habs will be better this season, a lot of teams will be better, but every win is going to be a hard fought win this season. They will be better, but maybe 10-15 points better.

In possession and shots, the Leafs dominated.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They could challenge, I wouldn't expect that they make it though. Likely next year I'm thinking, but I wouldn't totally rule it out. We should have a better idea in a few months.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
On paper imo, this team is no worse than the Leaf team that made the playoffs a couple of years ago (albeit in a lockout shortened year).

The trouble is no one really knows how the kids will fare.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
On paper imo, this team is no worse than the Leaf team that made the playoffs a couple of years ago (albeit in a lockout shortened year).

The trouble is no one really knows how the kids will fare.

We dont know for sure how they'll perform, but I think its safe to say that Matthews, Marner, Nylander, + whichever of Hyman/Brown make it, will contribute more to this team than Parenteau, Matthias, Lupul, and Grabner did last season.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The only thing that would make it seem close.
Otherwise it wasn't.

PP is becoming a concern, and it shouldn't be.

That was the point. It really was weird though watching a 3 man triangle that long with 3 Hab players behind the D trying to screen the goalie. Weird.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
They were clearly the better team.
Montreal is going to have a tough year with that lineup. :)

Do you actually think that was our opening night lineup? :) We had all rookies in there with 1 or 2 regulars. The Habs vs Leafs game this upcoming Thursday will feature pretty close to what we'll have as an opening night lineup.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I wonder if Maclean was talking to Gerard Gallant. He always seems to stay connected to the FLA organization.

looool I was thinking real hard about who it'd be, but you got it, I think. Same home town, both with the Red Wings at the same time, and you can kinda throw away the coaches of clearly non-playoff teams, because they'd be more resigned than nervous, and I doubt Cooper, Trotz, or Sullivan are nervous.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
While I agree that flawed teams can make the play-offs, it is typically behind a goalie playing out of his mind, which Mrazek did for the first 60 games of last year.

Just seems like everyone expects Babcock to get a bunch of rookies to perform over their heads like he did with a bunch of recycled vets last year. Not saying that it can't happen, but kust seems unlikely.

....Because this group is just a bunch of 'rookies'.

Many would say they're 4 of the top 10-15 prospects in the world.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

I'm not sure which game you watched but the leafs badly outshot and outpossessed the habs. The only reason why the game was close at all was because the leafs kept overpassing the puck on scoring chances.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
For the Leafs to challenge we need lots of things to go our way, and some are a must.

-Andersen has to play amazing all year.
-Rielly needs to become a legit 1 D
-Zaitsev and Gardiner need to be legit top 4 guys.
-Kadri needs to get his shooting % back up to regular numbers
-Bozak and JVR need to get through the season without injuries
-Matthews needs to have one of the best rookie seasons for a number 1 pick in the last decade
-Marner and Nylander must have amazing rookie seasons as well.

All those things are unknowns for the season, and will play major impact on how the Leafs do...I don't expect that all things go their way.

Shooting percentage is highly variable, and tends to normalize over the larger sample. Kadri will be fine, and the team as a whole had a horrible shooting percentage last year. Between that and Bernier falling apart, the team sucked, but they actually were a bit above average among shot differentials.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I really find it difficult to believe. After playing no regular season games that any coach would be caught dead saying good things about the Maple Leafs.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
24 points? Oh my god. What an impossible feat!

THATS LIKE ONE EXTRA WIN A MONTH + 4 MORE ALL YEAR.

NO WAY A TEAM WITH IMPROVEMENTS COULD EVER DO THAT. (can you taste the sarcasm yet?)

No one knows whats going to happen. The only thing unlikely is 1st place or last place.

Also love how this thread made it to post #3 to become negative.

Stop worrying about what the other 29 teams are going to do. Actually just stop worrying period, none of you know what you are talking about anyway.

But....you do know what you're talking about? :laugh:

If this team finishes in last place will you come back to all those "negative" posts and apologize for saying none of them know anything if they're right at the end?

I'm all for calling out constant negativity. But there's a fine line between negativity and reality.

People are allowed to cheer for this team and have opinions that may not be all that favorable towards the team. I'm sure there's a puckbunny board somewhere for those of you scared of opinion that does not agree with your own.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's kind of sad really. Every major publication predicts us bottom 3. Our coach says we may take another step back due to all the rookies.

People need a reality check, we may surprise sure but it is far from a sure thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad