Rumor: Doug Maclean (HC): Unnamed NHL Coach says: "The Leafs are going to challenge"

ForSpareParts*

Today on "Hockey Central", Doug Maclean spoke about a conversation he had with a NHL coach (without naming names) in the Leafs' conference.

Maclean:

"I talked to a NHL coach last week for quite a while...in their conference and he said to me: "I'm nervous a little bit about the Leafs. We talked about some teams in the East and who is going to challenge. I'm serious. I am a little nervous with the Leafs and the way they compete, and how hard they played last year. With the added talent-"

Mallard:

"Context though. Are you talking nervous on a night to night basis playing them, or nervous that they might jump up and challenge for a playoff spot?"

Maclean:

"All any coach ever talks about when they say they are "nervous" it's about who the 8 teams are going to be who gets in. And this coach who has a better feel for the Leafs than I do thinks they are going to challenge."

"I don't have them in the playoffs. I don't have them in right now, but I'll tell you what: it's changing by the day. Having watched some exhibition clips, and talking to a NHL coach who plays them a lot."

It's difficult to figure out which coach that might be, but it certainly is encouraging. We'll see how the hockey media/writers/reporters change their tune when we get through the pre-season schedule.

I am pretty pumped by this though. Very encouraging.

:yo::D:nod:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Personally this Leaf fan doesnt see it. Its clearly going to a year to build on rather to break thro imo..If the kids looks good (Matthews, Nylander, Marner and to a less age extent Zaitsev) that's the main concern for me. Should make for some intriguing/entertaining hockey tho with the accumulatingyoung talent.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think there is a perception that, the smart fan will say nono, it's too soon.

But if you agree they may challenge, you are seen as a fanboy, or foolish.

Because there is a very recent precedent with Calgary, and an unconvincing 8 teams in the East, you simply cannot discount it..

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can see us competing in a lot of games but just coming up short. Lots of 1 goal losses. Learning how to win tight games is part of the process for the young guns.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
lets see.....the experts talk about strength up the middle....we have it.

We have an great set of centers this year, our D looks like we are improved and we have a #1 goalie.

It is not a stretch to think we can compete and play with the top teams ....if we can do so on most nights we can contend for a playoff spot.

We a trade or two we can be even better. I said a long while ago that we will finish closer to the playoffs then we will last, and I still feel the same way.

ForSpareParts*

I wonder if Maclean was talking to Gerard Gallant. He always seems to stay connected to the FLA organization.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Babcock:sarcasm: but seriously Hitchcock always has nice things to say about the leafs

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
But once its all said and done i see us finishing about where buffalo did last year and picking somewhere from 5-10.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Really just need to add a big piece on D and a high-ish end winger to be a legitimate playoff threat, assuming that Andersen is at least average. People are underrating how beneficial it's going to be to be able to roll 4 scoring lines. No single player has to be on fire for us to win like how it used to be with Kessel. As long as Rielly and Andersen stay healthy I can't see us finishing in the bottom 3.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I can see us competing in a lot of games but just coming up short. Lots of 1 goal losses. Learning how to win tight games is part of the process for the young guns.

You just described last season.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Really just need to add a big piece on D and a high-ish end winger to be a legitimate playoff threat, assuming that Andersen is at least average. People are underrating how beneficial it's going to be to be able to roll 4 scoring lines. No single player has to be on fire for us to win like how it used to be with Kessel. As long as Rielly and Andersen stay healthy I can't see us finishing in the bottom 3.

Totally agree with the Big piece on D. Im hoping that the leafs can grab Liljergen in this draft but like i dont think they are gonna finish low enough to do so. Im hoping zaitsev becomes all that and then one of our prospects can really suprise. In regards to up front , I think that we have so many forward prospects with great potential, that one of them are bound to become a high end winger. We have a lot of talented forwards in the system.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You just described last season.

I do think it will be similar in that way to last season with some improvement. Last year we couldn't score for ****, this year I believe we will score more but also give up more goals as our young guns learn to play a 200 ft game through the course of the season.

There WILL be growing pains.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I think people are overrating the amount of scoring three rookies are going to add. Ignore their names, If I said the Leafs just added three 50 point players so they should make the playoffs doesn't that sound a bit bizarre? Yes a goalie will help but there are going to be nights we struggle to score. Yes one of the big three rookies could surprise greatly but I would be shocked if any of them get more than 60 points (probably Matthews) and I expect at least one to struggle. Our D still has massive issues and though I like Zaitsev expecting him to make all the difference is very optimistic.

We are going to improve for sure, and we will win some of those one goal games we lost last year but I expect us to start slow and to have nights we cannot produce. I hope I am wrong but I believe my position seems reasonable.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They'll be better than many people here think (ie I don't think the aleafs end up in the bottom 5) but I doubt they make the playoffs either

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think this says more about the respect other coaches have for Babcock, than the Leafs current roster. Could we luck out and get it, absolutely, but it would be a big surprise. I see us in a similar position as Florida in 2014-15, and Buffalo last year. Maybe we skip a step, our division outside the Lightening isn't very strong, but A LOT has to go right. Basically JVR and Kadri having career years, Matthews having a high-end rookie year, Nylander having a 45 to 55 pt season, Rielly and Gardiner taking the next steps from last year, Zaitsev being a fringe top pairing guy, and Anderson being a bonafide number 1. All these things are possible, whether they all happen will take some luck.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
We'll be better than last year, we won't be last place, but I gotta believe we'll be on the outside looking in as far as playoffs are concerned, like it won't be a situation were we get eliminated with a couple of games to go we'll know well in advance that we're not competing for a spot

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I do think it will be similar in that way to last season with some improvement. Last year we couldn't score for ****, this year I believe we will score more but also give up more goals as our young guns learn to play a 200 ft game through the course of the season.

There WILL be growing pains.

They'll be better than many people here think (ie I don't think the aleafs end up in the bottom 5) but I doubt they make the playoffs either

This is basically my outlook for the season.

We'll see some brilliant highlight reel hockey, but some big rookie mistakes too that end up in the back of the net.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Given the parody of the league and especially the Eastern conference I don't think its a total fan boy delusion to think they could be a playoff team. Outside of Pitt,Wash,TBay, & maybe Florida & MTL (healthy Price factor) there's a ton of teams that have very little separating one from the other. This year is all about development though and we should just be focusing on the progression of a half dozen players over the course of the year but if that process is faster than people think this team could be one of the better ones in the conference. Realistically, I'd say 1 or 2 more years to work everything out and become the team that everyone is hoping for but with this many unknowns its impossible to predict... which makes this year so interesting and exciting for Leafs nation

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
What we need to consider when we look at last year and this year is that we are replacing 3 players at least that only had between 15 to 30 points with 3 that should be over 30 points, up to perhaps 60.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I think there is a perception that, the smart fan will say nono, it's too soon.

But if you agree they may challenge, you are seen as a fanboy, or foolish.

Yeah, most people, including Leafs fans, want to assume we'll be one of the worst teams in the league again. I think it's because change is hard for people to grasp. It usually happens faster than most people are prepared for. You get used to things being a certain way.

But I totally think the Leafs are going to be a serious playoff threat. There's a lot of parity in the league now. As long as they get good goaltending, there's no reason this team should be worse than some of the Wilson/Carlyle 9th place type teams. Andersen should be better than the goalies on those teams. Matthews will probably be better this season than Kessel ever was. Rielly is as good as Phaneuf ever was here (even many non-Leafs fans are pencilling him in for 2018 Olympic team already now). This team definitely has potential to get into the playoffs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's going to be a well coached team full of rookies and young players. The Leafs aren't making the playoffs. Not even close by my estimation and by most Leafs fans. Sure, maybe they have a shot at 8th like every team in the East but they aren't a real threat next season. They aren't going to be successful this quickly. The team is simply too young and the D isn't good enough to be any kind of threat. That's the reality. Doug is also a moron who doesn't know anything, despite being given a GM position. I'm surprised he managed to not bring up Rick Nash in the segment.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
There are just so many factors that go into it...But if everything goes right for us i think we could make it.

Marincin, Zaitsev and Carrick have to all really come into there own as well as Gards and Rielly taking the next step...i could really see this happening i believe in all of these guys.

Andersen has to be great obviously...

Marner, Matthews, Nylander all have to have huge first years. And Bozak and Kadri have to produce at a 45-50 point pace along with JVR having a huge year...

Also we have to stay reasonably healthy...

I would say its unlikely but possible

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

take away about 20 horrible goals with better goaltending and maybe 10 more wins right there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad