Rumor: Doug Maclean (HC): Unnamed NHL Coach says: "The Leafs are going to challenge"

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We have not made the improvements needed.

Andersen is an unknown and is no longer playing behind Anaheim. Our defense is porous and is praying Zaitsev is a top 2 Dman. Up front we will be very young and prone to mistakes but fast.Doesn't sound like playoffs does it? Buffalo added a fair amount last year and moved upto to 8th and that is about what we should expect, to be drafting 8th next year.Next year playoffs will be needed and the pressure will build immensely. This year the fans just want to see the kid's(future) play. Welcome Austin,William,Mitch,Connor et all. It has been a long time since we have had a future great team to watch.

buttman*

Unnamed coach meant challenge for last overall. :sarcasm:

According to Leaf fans the sky is falling today.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
How well do preseason records hold up in the regular season? I don't think they're too predictive, but it would make for an interesting comparable.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Leafs will primarily have a mix of inexperience and over-the-hill veterans. I just don't see them beating out the likes of NJ, OTT, BOS, PHI, etc. for the last playoff spot.

I want to see some playoff hockey as much as the next fan, but I think the most beneficial outcome for the team this season is for them to get another high pick and draft a top pairing defenseman. If this happens it's time to start making this a competitive team.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I wish the leafs had more high end Defense prospects/ Hoping we finish in line to select liljegren

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
How well do preseason records hold up in the regular season? I don't think they're too predictive, but it would make for an interesting comparable.

Columbus were 7-0 in preseason last year. And they started season with 0-8 record.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could see it, I said for months that that this team is better than both Ottawa and Detroit with a chance to pass Buffalo, although I don't think think they pass buffalo but I REALLY don't believe in Lehner.

The fact is this division, beyond TB and the the Panthers, is garbage and even TB and the Panthers have some holes now with TB needing to move money to sign Kucherov

the panthers having some early injury issues with Ekblad Luongo and Bjugstad all out with injuries

Then you look at the rest of the division

Toronto who is young, fast and now extremely skilled with Mathews Marner Nylander JVR Komarov and Kadri up front

They have building blocks on the back end in Reilly and Gardiner and

They have with I feel is their best goaltending tandem in a decade with Andersen and Enroth

I feel people are going to under estimate this tesm and I think they will shock some people

Buffalo Much like the Leafs the sabres are talented up front, have some building blocks on D but unlike Toronto they don't have a guy that can carry the load Lehner isn't that guy and he's never going to be that guy if Buffslo wants to take the next step they NEED to be in on Bishop the moment he hits the market if they land him, look out but right now their goaltending simply isn't strong enough.

Boston the D is brutal and forward core, at least the main ones is getting older Bergeron is 31 Krejci is 30 Backes is 32 Marchand is 28 so be basso e game left it there is nothing coming in the prospect pool that can replace cakes Krejci and Bergeron in 2 or3 years when they need to be replaced.

Boston is likely better than us but that lasts 1 year MAX

Detroit also has a brutal D but unlike Boston Detroit has some younger pieces to build around they have Tatar. Nyquist Larkin Marazek they do have some pieces what they don't have is a stud young d man, I think their streak ends this year but I think the retool is a quick one.

Ottawa Simply has no depth and the reason for that is because they can't afford depth because their owner is cheap and doesn't allow them to spend to the cap so when you lose guys like C ac and Lazar you can't really replace them and unless Melnyk opens the Wallet and let's Ottawa become a cap yea. They won't be able to compete because one thing ALL the other teams in the division have in common they have the ability to spend to the cap.

Ottawa doesn't and unless that changes they aren't going anywhere.

Montreal, they are a goalie, they go as far as Price takes the if he goes down they are screwed because they have NOTHING behind him

Point is this,it doesn't matter who it is in this division everybody has holes, to say the Leafs can't compete when the division is in the state it's in would be asinine, you can't say that there are to many holes on each team and not small fixable ones either but giant gaping, creator size holes

This division is up for grabs and while I will stick to my official prediction of 6th place ahead of Ottawa and Detroit it wouldn't shock me to see us finish higher.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5