Doug Armstrong

abel17

May 28, 2009
Searched for a general Doug thread and I didn't see one.

First of all, let me say I wouldn't trade DA for any other GM in the league. But - I feel like Army does his best work when he's feeling pressure which makes him aggressive. His moves (or lack thereof) since the Cup, have been atypical from Army.

I know 2020 has given us some unique circumstances but I hope if there was an O'Reilly or Schenn trade to be made over the last couple years he would have made it regardless of the Cup right? I know only time can really answer that question but we love you Army! Keep doing your thing.

I will also post this for those of you that haven't listened and might be traveling this holiday season:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No Army = no cup
It take 1-year destroy team what was build for succesful Cup run and win Stanley Cup.

So yeah, Army build this team so he can destroy it. But it's going to be hard to watch it front seat team going bottom to top and bottom again.

Why not Blues fans love disappointment and success maybe 20-years from here feels good.

Reactions: Vollie27

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Searched for a general Doug thread and I didn't see one.

First of all, let me say I wouldn't trade DA for any other GM in the league. But - I feel like Army does his best work when he's feeling pressure which makes him aggressive. His moves (or lack thereof) since the Cup, have been atypical from Army.

I know 2020 has given us some unique circumstances but I hope if there was an O'Reilly or Schenn trade to be made over the last couple years he would have made it regardless of the Cup right? I know only time can really answer that question but we love you Army! Keep doing your thing.

I will also post this for those of you that haven't listened and might be traveling this holiday season:

Since the Cup, he has been moderately active. He signed Berube as head coach. He added Montgomery as an assistant. He traded for Faulk. He re-signed Schenn and Faulk. He re-signed Binnington. He signed Krug. Those were all significant moves. I even like the Clifford signing. I liked the Allen trade.

But by far the biggest decision he has made was in setting the limit to what he could offer Pietro, as all of us know. There has to be a line somewhere on where you think signing any one player starts to be a detriment to the team as a whole. I have less than zero interest in having us all weigh in again on that decision, but even through it resulted in Pietro going to Vegas, I think it was not a passive process at all.

The nature of the salary cap with respect to LTIR for Steen and Tarasenko in the current flat cap pandemic environment presents Armstrong with a unique opportunity. Whether others here feel the Blues’ window has closed, I guarantee Armstrong believes they are still in it. I think Berube and the players do too. But if Doug believes that, you have to think he’ll weaponize the LTIR to try to improve the team if he can.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It take 1-year destroy team what was build for succesful Cup run and win Stanley Cup.

So yeah, Army build this team so he can destroy it. But it's going to be hard to watch it front seat team going bottom to top and bottom again.

Why not Blues fans love disappointment and success maybe 20-years from here feels good.

All because he let Petro walk? You act like Petro is a HOF player. He’s not.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
All because he let Petro walk? You act like Petro is a HOF player. He’s not.

Blues syötti karvasta kalkkia ensimmäisen erän loppuhetkillä – Alex Pietrangelo veivasi St. Louisin kahden maalin johtoon

giphy.gif

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Since the Cup, he has been moderately active. He signed Berube as head coach. He added Montgomery as an assistant. He traded for Faulk. He re-signed Schenn and Faulk. He re-signed Binnington. He signed Krug. Those were all significant moves. I even like the Clifford signing. I liked the Allen trade.

But by far the biggest decision he has made was in setting the limit to what he could offer Pietro, as all of us know. There has to be a line somewhere on where you think signing any one player starts to be a detriment to the team as a whole. I have less than zero interest in having us all weigh in again on that decision, but even through it resulted in Pietro going to Vegas, I think it was not a passive process at all.

The nature of the salary cap with respect to LTIR for Steen and Tarasenko in the current flat cap pandemic environment presents Armstrong with a unique opportunity. Whether others here feel the Blues’ window has closed, I guarantee Armstrong believes they are still in it. I think Berube and the players do too. But if Doug believes that, you have to think he’ll weaponize the LTIR to try to improve the team if he can.

you are prescient, my friend.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Petro is a HOF caliber player, but Army did the right thing here and let him walk. A contract is an agreement between a GM and a player. It is not a money-guarantee like Petro wanted it to be. That's on Petro and not Army.

I don’t think he’s a HOF caliber player. He’s no Pronger or Macinnis.

Reactions: Renard and Blueston

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl

God you really know how to party Ransku.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Macinnis - conn smyth, Norris, HOF, 3rd all time in points for defenseman and voted 100 greatest players all time.

petro won’t sniff any of those

Accomplishments do not equal skill or abilities. If you want to argue about the likelihood of getting a HOF status, then that is a different discussion all together. HOF status often depends on hardware, but if we are talking about raw skill, Petro beats MacInnis pretty handedly. Petro is a better skater, stickhandler, and passer. MacInnis has a better shot.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don’t think he’s a HOF caliber player. He’s no Pronger or Macinnis.
I think it's too early to say. If he retired tomorrow then clearly there's zero chance Pietro would make the Hall...but there's still a significant portion of Pietro's story left to be written. He's already 2/3rds of the way to the triple gold club, only needs to win a World Championship w/ Canada (arguably the easiest of the 3).

If Pietro wins a Norris then I think he makes it. If he has several more seasons as an elite top-10 dman w/ top 5 Norris finishes + another cup win or World Championship, then I think there's a decent chance he makes it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think it's too early to say. If he retired tomorrow then clearly there's zero chance Pietro would make the Hall...but there's still a significant portion of Pietro's story left to be written. He's already 2/3rds of the way to the triple gold club, only needs to win a World Championship w/ Canada (arguably the easiest of the 3).

If Pietro wins a Norris then I think he makes it. If he has several more seasons as an elite top-10 dman w/ top 5 Norris finishes + another cup win or World Championship, then I think there's a decent chance he makes it.

I think we’ve seen his peak. I personally don’t think he’s a HOF player

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think we’ve seen his peak. I personally don’t think he’s a HOF player
I mean fair enough. If you don't think he is a HOF player then that's your opinion.

I'm trying to look at the established standards HOF entrance.

EDIT: and now we have successfully derailed another thread in this forum with talk of a player not even on our current roster

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Accomplishments do not equal skill or abilities. If you want to argue about the likelihood of getting a HOF status, then that is a different discussion all together. HOF status often depends on hardware, but if we are talking about raw skill, Petro beats MacInnis pretty handedly. Petro is a better skater, stickhandler, and passer. MacInnis has a better shot.

I’m not going to knock you for your opinion. You could be right.

Reactions: BlueMed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad