Dreger: Dorion met with Duchene's agent today, contract parameters not discussed

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As a Sens fan, this is all too familiar...

Bobby Ryan:
2nd overall pick
Peak season: Age 23 (34g, 71p)
Traded to OTT: Age 26 with 2yrs left before UFA
Career points per game before trade: 0.765
Signed: 7 x 7.250 (Ages 28-34)
Detail: Alfie left, and OTT doesn't want to look stupid having just gave up young assets (Silfverberg + 1st)

Matt Duchene:
3rd overall pick
Peak season: Age 22 (23g, 70p)
Career points per game before trade: 0.730
Signed: TBD (Ages 28+)
Detail: Karlsson left, and OTT doesn't want to look stupid having just gave up young assets (Turris + 1st)

Yes, Duchene is having a great year.. but this all seems like a desperation move again. The Sens suck and need to trade Duchene for futures and guys under age 25. By the time the Sens are a Stanley cup threat, Duchene will be at least half way through his contract (like Ryan is currently), and very likely be less of a player than he was when he signed that contract (also like Ryan is currently). The Sens will never be a top tier team again, if they do not learn and move on from their mistakes.

TL;DR - Sens should trade Duchene

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
You know its a bad year when a meaningless regular season win means this much and finishing outside the bottom five is seen as some sort of accomplishment.
The difference is Sens have said they are in a rebuild from day 1. Sens fans tempered their expectations and understand when a good win means something to the development of the young guys. Sens continuing to win also means Colorados chance of getting Hughes becomes even more unlikely. Now signing Duchene would be pretty nice.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
The difference is Sens have said they are in a rebuild from day 1. Sens fans tempered their expectations and understand when a good win means something to the development of the young guys. Sens continuing to win also means Colorados chance of getting Hughes becomes even more unlikely. Now signing Duchene would be pretty nice.

But, if Colorado keeps on losing, then there's two pottery picks for Hughes. I'll take my chances on that. I don't care which pick gets Hughes or Kakko. Or, if both can be packaged to get a higher pick. Hopefully, LA can win the Melnyk Cup tomorrow.

Here's a gentle reminder about everything at stake for Ottawa as per Sportsnet:

For fans of the Senators, the sight of the Avs at the Canadian Tire Centre Wednesday is a cruel reminder that Colorado owns Ottawa’s first-round pick, almost certainly a lottery pick.

Last edited:

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
As a Sens fan, this is all too familiar...

Bobby Ryan:
2nd overall pick
Peak season: Age 23 (34g, 71p)
Career points per game before trade: 0.765
Signed: 7 x 7.250 (Ages 28-34)
Detail: Alfie left, and OTT doesn't want to look stupid having just gave up young assets (Silfverberg + 1st)

Matt Duchene:
3rd overall pick
Peak season: Age 22 (23g, 70p)
Career points per game before trade: 0.730
Signed: TBD (Ages 28+)
Detail: Karlsson left, and OTT doesn't want to look stupid having just gave up young assets (Turris + 1st)

Yes, Duchene is having a great year.. but this all seems like a desperation move again. The Sens suck and need to trade Duchene for futures and guys under age 25. By the time the Sens are a Stanley cup threat, Duchene will be at least half way through his contract (like Ryan is currently), and very likely be less of a player than he was when he signed that contract (also like Ryan is currently). The Sens will never be a top tier team again, if they do not learn and move on from their mistakes.

TL;DR - Sens should trade Duchene

Duchene>>>>Ryan at that point. Ryan was never the best skater and it shows now. Duchene has some of the best wheels in the NHL. He'll be fine.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
But, if Colorado keeps on losing, then there's two pottery picks for Hughes. I'll take my chances on that. I don't care which pick gets Hughes or Kakko. Or, if both can be packaged to get a higher pick. Hopefully, LA can win the Melnyk Cup tomorrow.

Here's a gentle reminder about everything at stake for Ottawa as per Sportsnet:

For fans of the Senators, the sight of the Avs at the Canadian Tire Centre Wednesday is a cruel reminder that Colorado owns Ottawa’s first-round pick, almost certainly a lottery pick.
Wtf. This is new info. How did this happen????

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
How do you fly out to ca and not discuss contract parameters? If you're not working toward a commitment, you should be moving him.

A deal doesn't need to get done, but it sounds like they didn't even identify a path.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The Sens are going to need a deal in place a few weeks before the deadline or else they really will have to trade him and that goes for Dzingle, Stone and Duchene. They cant risk losing him for nothing.

Not getting into details with essentially 2-3 weeks to go isn't promising.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Canes will take Dzingel for the 1st rounder they get from Pitt in the Ferland trade.
Pens offer their late 1st directly for Dzingel.

Pens then offer Brassard for Ferland, to fill Carolina's gaping hole at C.

One of you can take Oleksiak in the deal, I don't care which.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Or he can sign in Ottawa and sit through another long rebuild

Well that’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be a long rebuild. Ottawa is positioned where they have a number of prospects on the verge of being full time NHLers. Chabot is already making a name for himself, then you have White, Lajoie and Jaros who have been with the team all season and done fairly well. You have Balcers and Wolanin making a case as full time NHLers. Then there’s still Batherson, Brown and Chlapik performing well in the AHL. The organization seems to believe that Formenton is close as well. Of course that’s not to say everyone will reach there potential but there’s plenty of depth in regards to quality young talent. They could use another high end prospect or two but if Duchene and Stone stick around it’s reasonable to see things turning around pretty quickly.

Now whether Duchene sees the light at the end of tunnel or not is another question and it’s also dependant of if Melnyk is willing to meet his demands.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A key point you omitted is "Points per game after trade."

Your comparables only make sense to someone who has not watched a single Sens game in the last 4 years.

I quite literally said Duchene was having a good year.

If all you got from that was a non-omission, then idk what to tell ya

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
How do you fly out to ca and not discuss contract parameters? If you're not working toward a commitment, you should be moving him.

A deal doesn't need to get done, but it sounds like they didn't even identify a path.
They’re going to create fake hope until the end to sell tickets. We all know he’s gone.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I bet Stone is wondering if Duchene will sign and vice versa. I would want the other to sign if I'm making a long term commitment to the team. Stone, Duchene, White, Tkatchuk, Pageau, Chabot, Batherson, Balcers etcc is a good base to begin with. Plus hope Ceci, Dzingel, and others bring in some additional picks or prospects when they are traded.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Well that’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be a long rebuild. Ottawa is positioned where they have a number of prospects on the verge of being full time NHLers. Chabot is already making a name for himself, then you have White, Lajoie and Jaros who have been with the team all season and done fairly well. You have Balcers and Wolanin making a case as full time NHLers. Then there’s still Batherson, Brown and Chlapik performing well in the AHL. The organization seems to believe that Formenton is close as well. Of course that’s not to say everyone will reach there potential but there’s plenty of depth in regards to quality young talent. They could use another high end prospect or two but if Duchene and Stone stick around it’s reasonable to see things turning around pretty quickly.

Now whether Duchene sees the light at the end of tunnel or not is another question and it’s also dependant of if Melnyk is willing to meet his demands.

Duchene would likely need an-above market offer to stay with a rebuilding team. He seems to love Ottawa and his teammates. Getting the “A” and recognized as a leader is also appreciated.

However, all this goodwill collapses with a frugal owner. He will offer a below market deal publicly. Not only does this embarrass the player for rejecting, but leaves little room to negotiate without the intention of being greedy.

I expect Duchene and Stone will be moved at the TDL.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It would be unprecedented for Stone and Duchene to sign this late into the process.

The only exception would be if there's some sort of external factor that prevented contracts from getting done earlier in the process. That factor being an issue that is expected to be resolve prior to the trade deadline. Something like Melnyk's finances, or an unwillingness to commit to big contracts until the downtown arena is resolved.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
May I present a mind-bending riddle:

What does Ottawa look like without Stone, Duchene & Dzingel?

QUEBEC CITY

Wow, that was a bad joke. If your joke isnt funny at least make it corny, even an offensive joke would have been better but yours was just lame.

Reactions: Mack Attack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad