Dreger: Dorion met with Duchene's agent today, contract parameters not discussed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well that’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be a long rebuild. Ottawa is positioned where they have a number of prospects on the verge of being full time NHLers. Chabot is already making a name for himself, then you have White, Lajoie and Jaros who have been with the team all season and done fairly well. You have Balcers and Wolanin making a case as full time NHLers. Then there’s still Batherson, Brown and Chlapik performing well in the AHL. The organization seems to believe that Formenton is close as well. Of course that’s not to say everyone will reach there potential but there’s plenty of depth in regards to quality young talent. They could use another high end prospect or two but if Duchene and Stone stick around it’s reasonable to see things turning around pretty quickly.

Now whether Duchene sees the light at the end of tunnel or not is another question and it’s also dependant of if Melnyk is willing to meet his demands.

Duchene has been through this before. The talk of “we’ll be good soon, we promise” is going to ring hollow to him.

The Sens could get lucky and have a short rebuild, but I don’t think it’s anyones expectation.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Brisson: And there there is the issue of signing bonuses in potential lockout years...
Dorion: Na na na na na. I can't hear you. Na na na na na na.

Reactions: Murzu

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If I'm in his shoes, I'd be apprehensive to sign for a long time and I would wait til July 1st to make a choice to see my options. With the state the Senators are in, the supermassive 8 year deal may not be a good idea. Things have room to get much worse than they already are

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If I'm in his shoes, I'd be apprehensive to sign for a long time and I would wait til July 1st to make a choice to see my options. With the state the Senators are in, the supermassive 8 year deal may not be a good idea. Things have room to get much worse than they already are

Which team has cap and the need for Duchene?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Duchene could run that town if he extended but he’d have to do it under Melnyk and Dorion. Tough choice for the kid.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Duchene has been through this before. The talk of “we’ll be good soon, we promise” is going to ring hollow to him.

The Sens could get lucky and have a short rebuild, but I don’t think it’s anyones expectation.
Considering Sens have plenty of young talent coming up through the ranks. They can easily be back in the playoffs soon. Plus if Stone signs thats another incentive to stay..

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Defintely not very optimistic that Duchene stays just pointing out a scenario in which he possibly stays. Also don’t expect a short rebuild though I do see the potential based on where the prospect pool is at and of course Stone and Duchene staying the course would go along way in making that happen.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Why would he re-sign in Ottawa???
Because he gets an extra year, close to his hometown,said many times he likes playing in a Canadian city, Sens have talent coming through the pipeline....many reasons. Much better than playing in Colorado.for him.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Considering Sens have plenty of young talent coming up through the ranks. They can easily be back in the playoffs soon. Plus if Stone signs thats another incentive to stay..

The guy forced his way off of a team with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, Jost, etc. because they weren’t winning right now.

I think he’s going to want to see it. If the Sens finish out of the basement, maybe. If they’re bottom five, I doubt he’s taking Dorion/Melnyk’s word that the team will be good soon.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m pretty confident Stone signs, about 50/50 on Duchene signing.

The guy forced his way off of a team with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, Jost, etc. because they weren’t winning right now.

I think he’s going to want to see it. If the Sens finish out of the basement, maybe. If they’re bottom five, I doubt he’s taking Dorion/Melnyk’s word that the team will be good soon.

Given the Avs struggles this season despite elite play from some of those guys you mentioned, maybe Duchene was onto something.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m pretty confident Stone signs, about 50/50 on Duchene signing.

Given the Avs struggles this season despite elite play from some of those guys you mentioned, maybe Duchene was onto something.

We’ve had a pretty horrible month and a half but we’re still 3rd in the central behind the two western conference favorites. The preseason consensus was that we’d be worse. We have a depth issue and a goaltending issue, but it’s pretty clear the foundation is there.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
There were two teams and they both made a trade. Lol. What it feels like to have more Ottawa picks coming up for this draft:

You know this is a cool comment because it involves a really cool comic book movie clip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad