HF Habs: Doom & Gloom: The Outlet Thread

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Exactly. Detroit is a good example, they have some good young pieces but they wanna go too fast with bringing some UFAs.

Detroit is a worse-case scenario for our rebuild. We seem to be going exactly in that direction, with a group of ok forwards and a focus on defense. Detroit's been drafting top 10 for ages so patience hasn't been the problem... Larkin's already 26. And they just don't seem that great. That's what happens when you half-ass a rebuild like we're doing with our culture bullshit.

I don't see it ending well for them and I don't see our current talent-phobic direction ending well for us.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I don't make the rules

7sz9nb.jpg

Reactions: Heffyhoof

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Detroit is a worse-case scenario for our rebuild. We seem to be going exactly in that direction, with a group of ok forwards and a focus on defense. Detroit's been drafting top 10 for ages so patience hasn't been the problem... Larkin's already 26. And they just don't seem that great. That's what happens when you half-ass a rebuild like we're doing with our culture bullshit.

I don't see it ending well for them and I don't see our current talent-phobic direction ending well for us.
We have more piece than them and we’re not done adding.

Plus every team needs a potential first pair dman, we didn’t have one. Doesn’t mean they focus on defence.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
We have more piece than them and we’re not done adding.

Plus every team needs a potential first pair dman, we didn’t have one. Doesn’t mean they focus on defence.

I think Mailloux would have been fine with Guhle, personally. I don't think Reinbacher is the Seider you're looking for. Different player. Potential top pair D? Maybe. But I think Seider has better tools overall.

Reactions: NORiculous

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think Mailloux would have been fine with Guhle, personally. I don't think Reinbacher is the Seider you're looking for. Different player. Potential top pair D? Maybe. But I think Seider has better tools overall.
I don’t think Mailloux is first pair potential at all. Reinbacher is better at everything now other than probably the shot and he is 2 years younger!

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
I don’t think Mailloux is first pair potential at all. Reinbacher is better at everything now other than probably the shot and he is 2 years younger!

Mailloux is way way way way more offensively inclined than Reinbacher. And bigger. And more physical.

I think defense is a lot easier to teach than offense. We'll see how they develop. Hard to tell at this juncture, but the point is: was Reinbacher a need over a potential elite forward? I don't think so.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Why would that be the case?
At this point the team needs a lot of their prospects to hit and hit above the expectation and it sounds like next season (24-25) the Habs want to start pushing and being competitive again.

They need to sell Savard at 50% retained at this deadline and maximize his value assuming he stays healthy and does alright. Team can't afford to let values dwindle even the slightest.

Reactions: Colezuki

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Mailloux is way way way way more offensively inclined than Reinbacher. And bigger. And more physical.

I think defense is a lot easier to teach than offense. We'll see how they develop. Hard to tell at this juncture, but the point is: was Reinbacher a need over a potential elite forward? I don't think so.
I wouldn’t say so. The difference between the two is that Reinbacher knows how to join the rush and is very smart in transition and it helps the forwards a lot. Mailloux has a good shot but his decision making is deficient at times, he is not a very good playmaker.

Love the avatar by the way :D

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
I wouldn’t say so. The difference between the two is that Reinbacher knows how to join the rush and is very smart in transition and it helps the forwards a lot. Mailloux has a good shot but his decision making is deficient at times, he is not a very good playmaker.

Thanks lol.

I don't see a ton of phenomenal playmaking in Reinbacher, but we shall see.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
At this point the team needs a lot of their prospects to hit and hit above the expectation and it sounds like next season (24-25) the Habs want to start pushing and being competitive again.

They need to sell Savard at 50% retained at this deadline and maximize his value assuming he stays healthy and does alright. Team can't afford to let values dwindle even the slightest.
Savard one of few vets on blueline

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Well, from my perspective having watched Mailloux closely this past season, I couldn’t agree less with the assessment that Mailloux ‘is not a very good playmaker.’ Playmaking is the essence of Mailloux’s skill set. As I repeatedly stated, I have not seen a defensive prospect since Subban who’s had a better first past. In fact, he has a better first pass than any current Montreal defenceman. Among our defensive prospects only Hutson comes close to Mailloux’s offensive vision. In skating ability, Mailloux has greater straight forward speed than Reinbacher and in all other aspects their skating is comparable except for one: strength on their skates. For those who say Mailloux is a physical defenceman, they haven’t obviously watched him closely. Despite his size and reputation Mailloux is not a physical defenceman. In his own zone Mailloux is a finese defenceman because he lacks the strength and inclination to physically challenge and control opposing players. From what I have seen so far, Reinbacher is a much more physical player who closes the gap faster and more aggressively than Mailloux and tries in every instance to impose his physical will on opposing players. Opposing forwards will hate playing against Reinbacher because of his combination of mobility, size and physicality. Goalies (and blocking defencemen) will hate playing against Mailloux because of his shot.

Because of his limitations ( which can be addressed) and the fact that he has lost so much development time, it will take longer for Mailloux to make his mark in the NHL than Reinbacher. But when Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson join Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj and Matheson on Montreal’s blueline, this will be a team to reckon with, regardless of who’s playing as forwards.

Last edited:

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
@Twisted Sinister Idk how you are so mad bro but keep fighting the good battle, I've given up im just rolling with the rebuild I mean I've asked for a rebuild for like 20 years so now that we actually have one im not gonna start crying that we can't have McDavid , gotta take what you can get man im just happy we are out of the non stop win now cycle molson implemented.

The win now battle for 8th spot for a decade will certainly settle in soon but in the meantime I am enjoying the rebuild and the tanking
So you are the one in the wrong thread.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Well, from my perspective having watched Mailloux closely this past season, I couldn’t agree less with the assessment that Mailloux ‘is not a very good playmaker.’ Playmaking is the essence of Mailloux’s skill set. As I repeatedly stated, I have not seen a defensive prospect since Subban who’s had a better first past. In fact, he has a better first pass than any current Montreal defenceman. Among our defensive prospects only Hutson comes close to Mailloux’s offensive vision. In skating ability, Mailloux has greater straight forward speed than Reinbacher and in all other aspects their skating is comparable except for one: strength on their skates. For those who say Mailloux is a physical defenceman, they haven’t obviously watched him closely. Despite his size and reputation Mailloux is not a physical defenceman. In his own zone Mailloux is a finese defenceman because he lacks the strength and inclination to physically challenge and control opposing players. From what I have seen so far, Reinbacher is a much more physical player who closes the gap faster and more aggressively than Mailloux and tries in every instance to impose his physical will on opposing players. Opposing forwards will hate playing against Reinbacher because of his combination of mobility, size and physicality. Goalies ( and blocking defencemen) will hate playing against Mailloux because of his shot.

Because of his limitations ( which can be addressed) and the fact that he has lost so much development time, it will take longer for Mailloux to make his mark in the NHL than Reinbacher. But when Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson join Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj and Matheson on Montreal’s blueline, this will be a team to reckon with, regardless of who’s playing as forwards.
I’m hoping that we will have a spectacular defence, but the first three in your list are no where near proving that they can graduate to the NHL, and how long that takes. Matheson could be traded in a few years, too.

But if even 1-2 becomes an impact player and 1-2 becomes good depth options, we should have a very decent top defensive core with good cost control. If the D develops well, that would be the foundation that can be built on.

Looking forward to following their development over the next few years, and hoping they all surpass our expectations.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I’m hoping that we will have a spectacular defence, but the first three in your list are no where near proving that they can graduate to the NHL, and how long that takes. Matheson could be traded in a few years, too.

But if even 1-2 becomes an impact player and 1-2 becomes good depth options, we should have a very decent top defensive core with good cost control. If the D develops well, that would be the foundation that can be built on.

Looking forward to following their development over the next few years, and hoping they all surpass our expectations.
You are correct: there are few certainties in life and even less so in the developmental path of young hockey players. The best one can do is use reasonable/ realistic projections. From my experience of following this team closely since the late 1950s, the team’s current crop of young defensive prospects is the best and deepest collection of prospective blueliners that I’ve seen since the late 60s. Will they all reach their projected (hoped for) ceilings? Probably not. But there is enough talent and depth to feel confident that in both the short and long term, the team’s talent, at least on the blueline, is on the ascendancy. It should be quite enjoyable to watch what I believe will be an exciting new era for this storied franchise and its long suffering fans.

Last edited:

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
Doom and Gloom Thoughts for Sunday, before I go have a nice dinner on a Terrasse:

One of the more irritating components of dealing with the Montreal Canadiens' continued incompetence is having to deal with sports media in Montreal.

Sorry, did I call it sports media? How silly of me, that concept doesn't actually exist. What they actually are is Habs Media, because the Montreal Canadiens are the only game in town.

The problem is that this creates a sycophantic, parasitic relationship where the media needs interest and access in the Habs in order to be successful themselves.

Thus, the media no longer act as independent journalists, but flying monkeys for the organization, peddling whatever narrative the organization wants for their own continued success and access.

Instead of being representatives for the fans to the Org, which is what they should be, all the beat reporters do is act do their PR. I don't think I've seen it any more than in the last month.

Thus ends my Ted Talk. Enjoy your Sunday.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Doom and Gloom Thoughts for Sunday, before I go have a nice dinner on a Terrasse:

One of the more irritating components of dealing with the Montreal Canadiens' continued incompetence is having to deal with sports media in Montreal.

Sorry, did I call it sports media? How silly of me, that concept doesn't actually exist. What they actually are is Habs Media, because the Montreal Canadiens are the only game in town.

The problem is that this creates a sycophantic, parasitic relationship where the media needs interest and access in the Habs in order to be successful themselves.

Thus, the media no longer act as independent journalists, but flying monkeys for the organization, peddling whatever narrative the organization wants for their own continued success and access.

Instead of being representatives for the fans to the Org, which is what they should be, all the beat reporters do is act do their PR. I don't think I've seen it any more than in the last month.

Thus ends my Ted Talk. Enjoy your Sunday.

It's been like that since Molson bought the team, which also coincided with the band of journalists whom Gainey aggrevated with his team flight bans, taking their retirement or being shown the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad