Don't you feel this coming together?!! Am I dreamin?!!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Hmmm, this thread seems to have a pessimism deficiency. I'll counter your Phil with some Bon Jovi.

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven, then put me through Hell
Chains of love got a hold on me
When passions a prison, you can't break free

Oh, you're a loaded gun, yeah
Oh, there's nowhere to run
No one can save me
The damage is done

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name (bad name)
I play my part and you play your game
You give love a bad name (bad name)
You give love, a bad name

The Hair knows. :laugh:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
We should do fairly well in the 82 game preliminary round this year.

Hopefully we're healthy and ready to go when the season starts in April.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love resurrecting a thread from 2015 that I can finally agree with!

I am always excited for the potential of a new year but this year is different. Our GM woke from his slumber and actually addressed some now needs.

I am nervous about our D core, mainly health. If we can stay healthy back there I think we challenge for the Central. We will score, and I think we will see a much better Hellebuyck in the role he should have been in last year: 1B who plays 30 games. If Mason plays career average we will have the goaltending to allow our forwards to outscore the opposition.

Playoffs? That's a whole different story. If we are bottom half of the league in GA because of shoddy defense that doesn't bode well for us but I'd take winning a playoff game this year :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I am always excited for the potential of a new year but this year is different. Our GM woke from his slumber and actually addressed some now needs.

I am nervous about our D core, mainly health. If we can stay healthy back there I think we challenge for the Central. We will score, and I think we will see a much better Hellebuyck in the role he should have been in last year: 1B who plays 30 games. If Mason plays career average we will have the goaltending to allow our forwards to outscore the opposition.

Playoffs? That's a whole different story. If we are bottom half of the league in GA because of shoddy defense that doesn't bode well for us but I'd take winning a playoff game this year :laugh:

I agree. I think this team has a ton of potential and good depth.

The goaltending duo could be outstanding, but goalies are voodoo.

If injuries hit the D, they have plenty of assets to fill the gap and might even have some decent call-ups on the Moose for short stints.

If Laine takes a step forward, this team could be very dangerous.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree. I think this team has a ton of potential and good depth.

The goaltending duo could be outstanding, but goalies are voodoo.

If injuries hit the D, they have plenty of assets to fill the gap and might even have some decent call-ups on the Moose for short stints.

If Laine takes a step forward, this team could be very dangerous.

Guys one thing I will be keeping an eye on this year is backup goaltending. I have recently decided it might be one of the most important categories in regular season success. Last season many people were predicting the demise of Chicago but they won the division and I think the single biggest factor was Scott Darling posting a .924 over 32 games. That is massive and combined with Crawford's .918 they were able to have the leading team save %.

While we are all focused on Mason hopefully banging out a .915-.920 over 50-55 games the true differentiator might be Helly doing the same thing over 25-30ish games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Guys one thing I will be keeping an eye on this year is backup goaltending. I have recently decided it might be one of the most important categories in regular season success. Last season many people were predicting the demise of Chicago but they won the division and I think the single biggest factor was Scott Darling posting a .924 over 32 games. That is massive and combined with Crawford's .918 they were able to have the leading team save %.

While we are all focused on Mason hopefully banging out a .915-.920 over 50-55 games the true differentiator might be Helly doing the same thing over 25-30ish games.

I agree. If Hellebuyck can play like he did as a rookie and Mason plays like a good starter, the goaltending could be outstanding.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree. If Hellebuyck can play like he did as a rookie and Mason plays like a good starter, the goaltending could be outstanding.

If we get that.....it allows us so much wiggle room on other areas underperforming.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I have to say, if anything my enthusiasm for the upcoming season is dropping off.

I have watched Kulikov's injury and it looked utterly brutal. It remains to be seen how healthy he is. Given he is the only addition to the defence the improvement there is looking underwhelming.

Mason remains a wild card as well, could be great, could be sub-par. Hellebuyck I have little confidence in.

I did like our draft however, I loved how the jets scouting staff may have unearthed some diamonds in the rough.

This upcoming season could easily be more of the same and it would not surprise me. If we are a playoff team I doubt we win a round.

I think Chevy needed to be bolder and it could come back to bite us.

Good thing is there have been no extensions for him or Maurice.

Frankly neither deserve it.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I have to say, if anything my enthusiasm for the upcoming season is dropping off.

I have watched Kulikov's injury and it looked utterly brutal. It remains to be seen how healthy he is. Given he is the only addition to the defence the improvement there is looking underwhelming.

Mason remains a wild card as well, could be great, could be sub-par. Hellebuyck I have little confidence in.

I did like our draft however, I loved how the jets scouting staff may have unearthed some diamonds in the rough.

This upcoming season could easily be more of the same and it would not surprise me. If we are a playoff team I doubt we win a round.

All Mason needs to do is improve on Hutchinsons .903 and Pavelecs .889. Based on him being one of the better goaltenders in the league in the past 4-5 season, I think we can expect at least league average goaltending from him. So say .918 from Mason and Helle improves slightly to a .913, and we've easily locked up a wildcard spot, minimum. I'd say Chevy did well this offseason, you have to remember that we have to watch our cap as well, because ehlers/laine/little/trouba/wheeler(hopefully) will all be getting pay days in the next few years, so that limits who we could have gotten and for what.

As well, looking at the injuries we had this season, I don't think chevy would have gone and picked up another injured dman unless he was sure Kulikov was going to bounce back this year and be healthy. They've talked with his doctors and they said he will be 100% to start next season, so hopefully he has a better year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Best thing we have going is that these young players aren't all finished products. We managed to keep a team together with young guys not having to move up the lineup further than they should be.

Ehlers, Laine, Connor and Morrissey especially could all be a lot better rounded players. Experience is a big thing for guys that young

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

More importantly, I finally wanna see results from this D group collectively when healthy, let's see them all be consistent performers.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
More importantly, I finally wanna see results from this D group collectively when healthy, let's see them all be consistent performers.

The Jets seemed to have dropped the ball in 2016 with Stanley. Green didn't have a breakout year either. Hopefully the D-men that they drafted this year will perform better.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
All Mason needs to do is improve on Hutchinsons .903 and Pavelecs .889. Based on him being one of the better goaltenders in the league in the past 4-5 season, I think we can expect at least league average goaltending from him. So say .918 from Mason and Helle improves slightly to a .913, and we've easily locked up a wildcard spot, minimum. I'd say Chevy did well this offseason, you have to remember that we have to watch our cap as well, because ehlers/laine/little/trouba/wheeler(hopefully) will all be getting pay days in the next few years, so that limits who we could have gotten and for what.

As well, looking at the injuries we had this season, I don't think chevy would have gone and picked up another injured dman unless he was sure Kulikov was going to bounce back this year and be healthy. They've talked with his doctors and they said he will be 100% to start next season, so hopefully he has a better year.

Your probably right, but for whatever reason I am feeling somewhat more skeptical...

Probably because I don't see us being major contenders until our new core fully takes over, I see that as two more years away, maybe three.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Best thing we have going is that these young players aren't all finished products. We managed to keep a team together with young guys not having to move up the lineup further than they should be.

Ehlers, Laine, Connor and Morrissey especially could all be a lot better rounded players. Experience is a big thing for guys that young

This. People seem to judge the Jets future by just what got added. Internal development will be the key for this team to start contending. Laine was a raw 18 y/o rookie and scored 36 goals. Ehlers was a second year player, Connor is still a rookie and Morrissey is coming off his rookie season. Even Scheifele and Trouba are a couple years away from their prime. This teams best players are all kids. Give them some goaltending and a little more stability on defense and I see a team climbing fast.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Interesting bumping up this old thread. I guess optimism prevails at this time each year. Quickly being replaced by criticism once the season gets going and there's some adversity.

I really do feel this time it's different tho. What we need this year to succeed in no particular order...

1. Our team stays reletively healthy.

2. Average or better goaltending.

3. Less senseless penalties.

4. Better team defense, league average or better goals against.

5. League average or better specialty team play.

If we can click on at least 3 of these, we should be playoff bound.

I think the big thing for me is if PoMo is the right coach to lead such a talented group of players. I hope so, but have my concerns.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think the big thing for me is if PoMo is the right coach to lead such a talented group of players. I hope so, but have my concerns.[/QUOTE]

Agreed
As far as Maurice's career record
Let the battle cry be
"Embrace the outlier"

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Its coming!

This is the year the team will make some noise...

Last 2 years were the transition years.
3 years ago was the peak of the fab 5 together.
Years before that filling up the cup board.

Hope trouba takes it to another level with morrissey.

Cant wait for a 19 year old Laine.
New bench mark for Scheifele to break.

First line 100-120 goals
2nd line 60 - 80 goals
3rd line 25 - 35 goals
4th line 10 -15 goals

:)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Seem a little over negative in my opinion.

Concern is fair regarding Kulikov, but I take a bit of comfort off the fact Scheif and Wheeler worked out with him this summer and they both endorsed him to Chevy.
We also have a solid six D core, and all pairs are capable of big minutes. He won't be required to play heavy minutes which could reduce the risk of re injuring it.

I believe Mason is easily capable of putting up league average numbers, and I also believe Helly will improve on his numbers from last year, having the proper type of support in Mason.

I disagree on Chevy's lack of boldness. He boldly handled XD, he was somewhat bold in free agency, netting 2 of the bigger names on the market.

While your premise is we needed to do more this offseason, to make playoffs, I believe that gap will be covered by the internal growth of several players going into their second and third seasons.

On paper we have a top 5 offence, top 10 defence and a top 15 goaltending. No reason to act boldly in addressing possible weaknesses. Let some games happen, and see what unfolds.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Seem a little over negative in my opinion.

Concern is fair regarding Kulikov, but I take a bit of comfort off the fact Scheif and Wheeler worked out with him this summer and they both endorsed him to Chevy.
We also have a solid six D core, and all pairs are capable of big minutes. He won't be required to play heavy minutes which could reduce the risk of re injuring it.

I believe Mason is easily capable of putting up league average numbers, and I also believe Helly will improve on his numbers from last year, having the proper type of support in Mason.

I disagree on Chevy's lack of boldness. He boldly handled XD, he was somewhat bold in free agency, netting 2 of the bigger names on the market.

While your premise is we needed to do more this offseason, to make playoffs, I believe that gap will be covered by the internal growth of several players going into their second and third seasons.

On paper we have a top 5 offence, top 10 defence and a top 15 goaltending. No reason to act boldly in addressing possible weaknesses. Let some games happen, and see what unfolds.

I agree with all of your points except the bolded It remains to be seen if the Jets goaltending will be that good. If you are right and the Jets get league average goaltending then they are deffinitly a playoff team. If they get top 10 numbers in goal they will win a round or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad